Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ship or carry bike?
Quote | Reply
Just looking for some advise out there. This year will be the first time I travel by air to do a tri. I had planned on brining my bike on the plane, renting a mini van assembling my bike/re pack and bring it back. I see that Nytro and inside out offer services for 160 or so to recieve the bike, assemble it and send it back at the end of the race. Any feed back on this service would be appreciated. It almost seems that besides the conveience, ths savings of renting a regular car makes this service a good idea
Quote Reply
Re: ship or carry bike? [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always ship the bike to the hotel I am staying at. Then, when I arrive, a bellhop brings the box up to my room. When I leave, I repack the bike, a bellhop takes it back downstairs, and UPS picks it up and ships it home. There is nothing worse than screwing around with a huge box at an airport. With the new security measures, I am sure it would be worse.

I ship ground, and 10 days in advance, to make sure it arrives in time. I alert the hotel to the impending arrival of the bike.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always pack my bike and check it on the plane. (I already own a travel case.) I also usually rent a Ford Ranger extended cab pickup truck from budget. They're usually about as cheap as a compact to rent and Budget has them everywhere. The biggest drawback with the truck is if you need room for more than one passanger. The main problem with this approach is the cost of checking a bike on the plane. It's something like $75 each way unless you have some free vouchers. I also do all my own bike work, so I actually prefer assembling the bike myself. If you don't do your work yourself, the deals you mention sound like a good way to go. If you are going to check your bike on the plane, the initial trip will seem mucho expensivo since you'll have to throw down some cash for a travel case too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even in the post 9/11 era I vote for bringing it with you on the aircraft. I like to know it is (hopefully) going where I'm going, when I'm going and in the same vehicle. I like to know it is (hopefully) arriving where and when I am arriving. I have flown my bike many times and only had a few problems. That's my vote.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: ship or carry bike? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only flown with my bike once, but I didn't have to throw down big bucks for a case. I bought some cheap eggshell foam rubber and used a regular cardboard box from the local bike shop. I packed the bike in the foam and it worked great. I just couldn't see forking out $$ for a fancy bike case that might get used once every couple of years (in my case). And the eggshell foam doubled as a mat to sleep on (at Wildflower).

But there is no doubt, dragging a bike around an airport is a hassle.
-- Big EE
Quote Reply
Re: ship or carry bike? [Big EE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live on an island and have to travel by plane to get to races. Traveling with equipment is not fun. However, I spent three years traveling with a bag of 4/5 surfboards (30-35kg) which was infinitely more drama than a bike. The only fun part was thinking up different answers for people who asked 'what's in the bag?'. Whatever you're carrying it always makes me nervous seeing the 'throwers' ejecting it off the back of the trailers to load it on the plane you're sitting on.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both methods with no problems. Defintiely cheaper to ship it rather than fly though - unless you can avoid the oversize baggage fee that the c-suckers at the airlines like to charge which is not very likely anymore. Last season I compromised - I would fly with it to the race to and then UPS it back. When shipping back stay away from places like Mailboxes Etc and the like as they tack on some pretty hefty fees which almost negating what you save over flying with it. Try and bring it directly to a UPS shipping depot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second GT's idea for shipping it. If you have a second bike you can train on after you ship the bike (UPS Ground, Cheap, but you need to do it a week in advance of your arrival) this is the best way to go. I've done both, and the drama of the bike case in the airport, the baggage handlers (dismantlers), the risk of your bike not arriving w/ you , and the $75 charge (EACH WAY!) easily outweigh any advantage of taking it on the plane. IMHO

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Re: ship or carry bike? [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would consider shipping the bike. Last August I flew back from Nova Scotia to Hawaii, on 2 different airlines. I got selected for extra screening, and they opened my anally (sp) packed hard case, dug around in there, and then re-packed it with little regard to the original pack job, or my suggestions. I was not allowed to touch anything after their inspection. It was a very helpless feeling. They failed to close 2 buckles, which were broken off by the handlers. SO, I got a damaged hard case, paid $150, and got to lug a big package through several airports. Not fun.

My friend recently flew out here with a light weight box from crate works. Very minimal and simplistic. He did not over-pad it, like I did, and he didn't get charged over-sized fee or bike fee!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ship it. depending on the airline shiping is cheaper. also it makes travel easier. sometimes when we would deploy through civilian systems we would just fed ex most of our stuff. never had a problem. better chance of the airling loosing it.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good points above. I have done both many times and have had better success with flying with it. One thing you need to know is that UPS will cover damage to the CONTENTS but not damage to the CONTAINER regardless of insurance purchased. This is important given that most of us have expensive TriALL3 containers. Incidentally, the TriALL3 guys are very good about helping with damage.

My training partner had his case crushed by UPS before IM florida to the point where the Zipp rep had to rebuild his hubs. It was dropped from a height that caused the case wheels to be pushed up into the case. The UPS rep told him that they don't really like shipping large items, they make there money on small items. Fortunately my training partner was a partner at a company that spends more than $1M a year with them

So...

Weigh the hastle of security vs. the likelihood of UPS damage.

The likelihood of multiple flights and misguided luggage vs. late UPS shipments. If you are remote and the flights in and out are commuters, they can't fit a lot of bike boxes in them. 7 triathletes on a 12 seater on the last flight of the day means some bikes come later.

If you have someone else put it together make sure you mark and measure your fit you know it was put together the same way you took it apart.

If they both fail, bring a lot of duct tape.
Quote Reply
Re: ship or carry bike? [Himself] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of good arguments here but I haven't read a single one for flying with a bike after the 1st of this year. All the luggage rules got much more strict after the first of January. Your bike box or case WILL get opened and checked for explosives or whatever the hell they are checking for along with the rest of your luggage.

In the past when I traveled with my bike I just had it in a cardboard box and when I was checking it in with the airline I would tell them it was photo equipment or some crap like that and was able to avoid the charge several times. I think that would be even easier to do if you had one of the fancy cases. Of course now don't think you would be able to do that since they will have to open it. I flew from CA to GA back in January and just shipped through UPS (insured of course) both ways, bike took about 7 days each way, got there in good shape.
Quote Reply
Re: ship or carry bike? [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
best thing to do is lease a gulfstream 5 and avoid the airlines and shipping company. that's what i do.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply