Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

shift cable length?
Quote | Reply
I tried to replace the shift cable on my Marin Hawk Hill 2 last night and found that the cable was too short to make it all the way through the housing to the rear mech. The previous cable is what came with the bike and I'm left the original housing. I just used a spare/unused cable I had stored away, no packaging left.

do shift cables come in different lengths? Something else I'm not aware of?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: shift cable length? [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
I tried to replace the shift cable on my Marin Hawk Hill 2 last night and found that the cable was too short to make it all the way through the housing to the rear mech. The previous cable is what came with the bike and I'm left the original housing. I just used a spare/unused cable I had stored away, no packaging left.

Thanks!

Sometimes they'll come as a set with a shorter one for the front derailleur for some reason. dumb, I know, you're going to be cutting it anyway.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may need to buy an XL cable or tandem cable. It’s longer, and you can just cut off the excess.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brake and shifter cables are sold over length, with the understanding that you’ll have to cut them down to the length you need.
Quote Reply
Re: shift cable length? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, right? So imagine my surprise when it wasn't long enough to reach the back.
Quote Reply
Re: shift cable length? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Justicebeaver wrote:

Thanks!

Sometimes they'll come as a set with a shorter one for the front derailleur for some reason. dumb, I know, you're going to be cutting it anyway.

A shorter cable for the front derailleur costs less to produce.
Quote Reply
Re: shift cable length? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, it does. still doesn't make it any less dumb, particularly when it comes to aftermarket components. For OEM, no issues.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we've determined that the cable I had was leftover from changing out aerobars in the past despite their newish appearance. New cable worked fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:

Thanks!

They do come in two lengths: ~3000mm (long) and ~2200mm(short) [actual lengths vary slightly by mfg].
See:https://www.google.com/...ce=lnms&tbm=shop

The longer ones are often needed for tandems, internally routed tribikes, etc. I only buy the longer ones now (after being in your exact situation).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply