Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
self diagnosis
Quote | Reply
why is it important not to do this...
what I thought yesterday was prickly heat (or sweat rash) is actually strep throat (which if left untreated can give generalized skin rash)...
thing is I had NONE of the symptoms of step throat.
sh.t!

Who said I was frail?
Quote Reply
Re: self diagnosis [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch - hope you got some good antibiotics now...

I sure hope she was worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive...

What made you decide to go to the doctor if you had no other symptoms... I think I would have made the same mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: self diagnosis [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because it spread quite a bit right after swimming, and got itchy, so I thought, heck, just get some anti histaminic meds there.
so the doc said 'looks like med allergic or strep throat' and the ST test was +
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
& to make it woorse France can only manage a goal less draw with the Republic of Ireland in the World Cup Qualies! What a week!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have 'Scarlet Fever," which is a strep throat with a red rash. some people come in complaining about only about the itchy red rash. (Yes! It usually becomes itchy.)

This is one reason you can't diagnose strep by the appearance of the throat. A sore throat can be mild and still be strep, and a severe sore throat is more often not-strep than strep.

It's usually no a big deal, unless you get brown urine. Rheumatic fever is very uncommon if the strep is treated in the first week.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: self diagnosis [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Ouch - hope you got some good antibiotics now...[/reply]

Plain old Penicillin is the drug of choice for this. There are now sttrains resistant to Zithromax, since everyone (doctors and patients) is using as a placebo these days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically looks like red goose bumps. The rash feel 'sandpapery.' the tongue usually becomes white, with some pink spots, and later smooth and bright red with large pink bumps where the pink spots were,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds more like terminal herpes.
Quote Reply
Re: self diagnosis [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so if I got the rash yesterday, then it means it just started? couldn't be there earlier?

the doc indeed gave me a shot of penicillin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]so if I got the rash yesterday, then it means it just started? couldn't be there earlier?

Probably started yestereday or the day before. Possibly two before--doubt it.

the doc indeed gave me a shot of penicillin.[/reply]

Ouch! LA Bicillin hurts. If it wasn't LA Bicillin (1.2 Million units), or possibly CR 900/300 (1.6 million units) you need oral penicillin for 9 more days.

Quote Reply
Re: self diagnosis [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
she said that there was a penicillin shot you can get which is good because you don't have to remember to take it for 10 days...so more convenient, but it was really thick stuff. no idea if it was LA B or something else.
but she said that was instead of the 10 day course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it's better to do that, than have people not take the full course of oral penicillin because they feel better after a few days... (increases the risk of rheumatic fever developing secondarily)

Damn , Natural selection
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My self-diagnosis story:

Had knee pain after 1-2kms on the run. went to see a PT, massage therapist etc and they all told me that I had a patella tracking problem. After goinbg nowhere I decided to see an orthopaedic surgeon and have an MRI. They found a 1x1.5x1.7cm cyst in my knee!

Getting it removed tomorrow by way of an arthoscopy.
Quote Reply
Re: self diagnosis [African] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They found a 1x1.5x1.7cm cyst in my knee!

Please don't post things like this. Francois is a hypochondriac.
Quote Reply
Re: self diagnosis [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually, if I didn't get sick all the time since i arrived in El Paso, I wouldn't be...stomach ulcer, 2 atrial fibrillations, shingles, sinusitis, now strep throat etc.

before that: 1 thing at 15 and that's it. never bothered going to see a doc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other thing about this rash is that as it resolves you can get sloughing off of the outer layers of skin (desquamation) just so you know before hand... if it happens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]actually, if I didn't get sick all the time since i arrived in El Paso, I wouldn't be...stomach ulcer, 2 atrial fibrillations, shingles, sinusitis, now strep throat etc..[/reply]

I always thought that once you got to [old] El Paso, you had it made? WTF?!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: self diagnosis [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
never sick before.

often sick since here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In El Paso your next problem could be coccidioidomycosis. Fungal disease of warm dry places that can be fatal in people with suppressed immune response. If you just need another rash there's always tinea versicolor, another fungus among us.

(I saw an ad for childrens underwear one time that had some called "fun gal". A real marketing gem)
Quote Reply
Re: self diagnosis [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be willing to overlook the fact that you study children's underwear ads, if you have any medical background in suppressed immune response. Please respond. You are blocked for PM.
Quote Reply
Re: self diagnosis [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interestingly, I did some blood tests and they really don't show depressed immune response.
it seems that mine is very good.
which would confirm that everything I get here may be more environmental than anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, if I didn't know better, I'd be starting to believe you're a hypochondriac!

Seriously, though...seems like you are having an allergic reaction to the U.S.! Maybe you'd better move home if you ever want to finish a race!

;->
Quote Reply

Prev Next