Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

seeded rolling start at 70.3 Worlds... how will it go?
Quote | Reply
I think the self-seeded starts have their place with regular 70.3's, and they result in the field spreading out pretty well and swims that are pretty mellow from a contact point of view.

But at 70.3 worlds, might there be 1500 people seeding them selves under 32?

here are the start corrals:

- There are 10 swim areas (excluding pro athletes):
• under 30’
• under 32’
• under 34’
• under 36’
• under 38’
• under 40’
• under 42’
• under 44’
• under 50’
• more 50’

Now it does not say "self-seeded" it says, "Athletes are staged in different zones. These zones are determined by the athlete’s predicted swim time.
7 athletes will start each 8 seconds.".

Does that mean Ironman will predict your swim time for you? Or is it still self seeded?

How many people do you think will be seeded Under 32 and faster?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: seeded rolling start at 70.3 Worlds... how will it go? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Does that mean Ironman will predict your swim time for you?
Probably. They will have all of the racers’ prior 70.3 swim times. Most will have done several in the last 18 months. With just a tiny bit of analytics, IM can probably get very close to sequencing the racers by their likely swim times. There may be some outliers, but I bet those are fewer than 5% of a predictive model.
Quote Reply
Re: seeded rolling start at 70.3 Worlds... how will it go? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they change the swim start? Last year it was by age group

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: seeded rolling start at 70.3 Worlds... how will it go? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the 2017 WC in Chatt... they had a similar starting method. 8 people went off at time and we were were all in different corrals. It was self seeding then, so it will be interesting to see if they change to a calculated time based on prior race swims. Guess, I better come out under 30min at my next 70.3!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m stoked to see this, though I agree at the WC, a sub-32 swim is a lot of the crowd, so maybe that’s a case for much smaller increments. I started out as a fan of self-seeded rolling starts at IM Coeur d’Alene in 2013...least congested swim I’ve ever had. Since then, I think so many people attempt to game the system and get out ahead that it’s failing. At 70.3 VA, I listened to a group of people talk about “moving up so we’re ahead of the cyclists.” I swam :15 off my projected time and was swimming over back-floaters 200m in. No way that many people legitimately thought they were 33-min swimmers and were floating minutes later. I don’t understand why someone not super comfortable in the water would put themselves in a position for a faster crowd to overtake them. I definitely don’t enjoy being on either end of that situation.

How about IM use those analytics and assign different cap colors so it takes the guesswork out. All the red caps rolling start followed by the orange caps, yellow, etc. I don’t know how a beginner shows their prediction.
Quote Reply