Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

seattle area swim coaches?
Quote | Reply
I want to work on my swim technique this winter and I think the best way is to hire a swim coach. Does anyone have any recommendations for swim coaches in the Seattle, Wa area?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr Seuss
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [rokmnky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a videotaping/one on one session with Kainoa Pauole-Roth at All-Star Fitness downtown. She was great and I found the session to be really helpful. Her contact info: Kainoa@PauoleSport.com

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks guys, I'll check them out.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr Seuss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are only two swim coaches in Seattle that I would trust to help me with technique. Pat Hamilton and Kyle Johnson. Pat coached me in high school when I swam for Swim Seattle and is responsible for me being able to continue swimming after (under a different coach) I developed shoulder tendinitis so bad that I was forced to stop swimming for over six months (that's when I started running cross country). Pat has a better intuitive feel for swimming than anyone I've met, and he can coach it just as well, which is a rare combination. I know he was trying to start a group called Eastside Endurance, but I can't find a website. DM me and I'll give you his email.

Kyle is a little easier to find. He coaches Issaquah Swim Team (http://www.istsockeyes.org/...=new&team=pnsist). Kyle is the best swim coach I've ever met. He doesn't do the meat and potatoes swim workouts that most coaches do, he follows the Milt Nelms (world renowned for swim technique, worked with most of the high end swimmers you've heard of) philosophy that swimming is about body awareness, and being able to control how your body reacts with the water. Kyle has a formula for teaching people that awareness that works with swimmers of all levels. He'll start you off with some seemingly simple drills that will drive you crazy because they're so difficult to perfect. Kyle coached me for every national championships I ever swam at, but I was far from his most talented swimmer. I often wish I'd had more time under him to really improve my swim technique. He does private swim lessons out of some club deep in the east side, but he's worth the drive and the money. I've paid over $100 for an hour lesson with Kyle, and I never regret it - he will make it completely worthwhile.

Brian Davis is a third option. He grew up swimming with Issaquah and he's a great instructor. When I was training with him a couple years ago I would spend one day a week getting technique advice from him. He's living in Seattle proper and would probably bring his Olympian wife, Marijana, to help with the lesson as well. DM me for contact info.

These are the people I learned from, and the only swim instructors in the Seattle area that I would trust. Yes there are other coaches around who have made a name for doing triathlon swim instruction, but the reason they focus on triathletes is because they aren't worth their salt. You'll find a lot of people preaching the same drills you read in swimmers world, telling you to focus on the catch, fingers down, flip your wrist when you exit, do catchup drill, work on rotating your hips... cliche drills indicate that the coach lacks intuition and can't adapt to your specific needs. Most triathletes can improve without hiring the best, but if you're able, you'll get much more from the people I mentioned.

Ben

p.s. the most important thing you can do for your swimming is to take swim lessons, but it's worthless if you don't put the time in on your own to work on improving. The coach is a guide, and will correct bad habits and teach you what to do in order to improve, it's up to you to make the improvements. For every hour you spend doing a lesson, spend 3-5 hours swimming and working on your form. As you progress, you can switch to 45 or 30 minute lessons, but keep going to the pool or you'll lose your feel. Swimming is not like riding a bike.

http://bencollins.org
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat was my first AG coach, when I entered 3rd grade, and after he left for SS, I never had a coach remotely near his level until my senior year of HS (Zane Dewitz, though I don't know if he's still in the Seattle area).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've worked with a few Seattle coaches and think Kimberly Lorton is amazing. She usually teaches on Mercer Island. She's at firstouttriathlon dot com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have twelve years experience as a competitive swim coach. My resume is below, but I've coached practically every level and abiltiy: USA (club swimming) and USMS (Masters), Midlakes and SSSL (Summer League), High School and college, and triathletes. I have trained children and adults, and I can accommodate any ability level from adults who are afraid to put their face in the water, to college level, nationally recognized, swimmers.
I can help you reach your goals through training and stroke correction. Swimming is much easier when you're swimming efficiently and "feel" the water. I will correct stroke imbalances, help you to change your stroke to prevent injury, help you not feel out of breath, and get you swimming faster and more comfortably.

I can coach/train in your home pool, or, if you are member of a swim/athletic/country club, then I can come there. We can discuss all the options...

Emily
206 877 3167

EDUCATION
Occidental College, May 2002, Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology. 3.5 GPA in the major. University of Washington School of Social Work, MSW program, 3 Qtrs of coursework, 2003-2004. Additional Course Work: Nutrition/Kinesiology, Psychology, Public Health, Sociology, Women/Gender studies.

COACHING EXPERIENCE

Ballard High School - Head Coach Girls and Boys 4A Swimming, Seattle, WA Aug 2012-Feb 2013
Head coach for the 2012 girls, and 2013 boys high school teams.

Seattle Parks and Recreation, Ballard Pool - Head Masters Coach, Seattle WA present
Coach, teach, instruct adult swimmers ranging in goals and ability from competitive post collegiate athletes and triathletes to beginner, novice adults. Focused instruction on efficient stroke technique to improve & maximize swimming speed, fitness, endurance/stamina, & competition performance.

Seattle University Redhawk Masters, USMS - Head Masters Coach, Seattle, WA 2005-2009
Instructed, organized, and managed approx. 100+ adults ranging greatly in ability, experience, goals, & age (18-70). Provided daily workouts, w/ focused instruction on stroke technique, fitness, endurance/stamina, & competition performance. Interventions w/ over-exercisers (often under-eaters) was common (especially among triathletes who could be compulsive in their training & restrictive in their eating). Created a program entitled Novice Masters (for all beginning adults, even for those with fear of water).

Garfield High School - Head Coach Girls and Boys 4A Swimming, Seattle, WA 2004-2009
Managed approx. 55 girls & 45 boys on average over 5-years. Delegated to Assistant Coaches, managers, parent volunteers, & all other volunteer personnel. Made program a "no-cut sport" to provide space for beginners & elite student/athletes to participate in HS athletics. Winning seasons every yr for each team (10-seasons, total), w/ '08 marking an undefeated yr for the girls team, including the '08 District Title & State Championship. Both teams won all dual meets & Districts in '09. Encouraged good habits in nutrition in-season & out.

ADDITIONAL COACHING EXPERIENCE
Individual Swim coaching, Private and semi-private lessons and training - Head coach, WA 2004-present
Cascade Swim Club, USA Swimming - Age Group and HS Development Coach Sub, Seattle, WA present
Central Area Aquatics Team, USA Swimming - Age Group Coach, Seattle, WA 2006-2009
Mercer Island Country Club, Midlakes League - co-Head Coach, Mercer Island, WA 2004-2008
Bellevue Place Club - Triathlon Swim Conditioning Coach, Bellevue, WA 2006-2008
Seattle Athletic Club - Adult Swim Conditioning Coach, Seattle, WA 2004-2008
Swim Seattle, USA Swimming - Age Group Coach, Seattle, WA 2004-2006
Newport Yacht Club, Midlakes League - Head Coach, Bellevue, WA 2003-2004
Cascade Swim Club, USA Swimming - Age Group Coach, Seattle, WA 2002-2004
University of Washington, UW Swimming - Assistant Coach, Seattle, WA 2002-2003
Mountlake Terrace High School - Head Coach Boys 4A swimming , Mountlake Terrace, WA 2002-2003
Klahaya Swim and Tennis Club, SSSL - Assistant Coach, Edmonds, WA 1997-2002

SKILLS
Computing: Proficient in IBM and Apple/Mac technology, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and all Internet Search Engines. Type approx. 60 WPM. WA: State Drivers License, and reliable transportation; Real Estate License. USA Swimming Member Coach. Current Certifications: Coaches SafetyTraining, CPR/First Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens, Administering Emergency Oxygen, Lifeguard Training, and NW Lifeguard Safety Training.
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [triBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My name is Patrick (Pat) Hamilton, and I am looking for a few athletes to work with over the winter. If you are looking to move beyond your current level of achievement, and find an environment that allows you to develop to a level you may have not thought possible for yourself, than I may be a good coach for you. My email is best1wave@aol.com. I am currently in the Everett/Seattle area and charge $55 per hour.
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [best1wave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The two posts above this one are by great coaches. Pat coached me in High School and is where I learned to swim with efficiency rather than muscle. Emily Weber is just a fun person and has worked with a ton of masters level athletes. If you're looking to improve your swimming in Seattle you have a few great options, I would start with these two since they're actively looking for clients (I would give Pat priority just because I have had such great experience with him, and he's done some triathlon himself).

Ben Collins
Amateur Swimmer, Amateur Cyclist, Amateur Runner...
...Professional Triathlete.
It's not the length that matters, but what you do with it.
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [KauaiShan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KauaiShan wrote:
I've worked with a few Seattle coaches and think Kimberly Lorton is amazing. She usually teaches on Mercer Island. She's at firstouttriathlon dot com.

+1 for Kimberly.

She found a few hitches in my stroke very quickly and provided some pointers to fix them.
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having lived in the area for quite some time i find that swimming is the only way to stay sane in the winter.

When it gets too dark or cold for a ride or run, swimming always gets the job done.
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And lets face it, with Seattle traffic, if you cycle to the pool on Mercer for the session and then back off, you not only save your sanity, but also get a brick in.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [andyspotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andyspotts wrote:
Having lived in the area for quite some time i find that swimming is the only way to stay sane in the winter.

When it gets too dark or cold for a ride or run, swimming always gets the job done.

I trail ran last night, in the rain, and pitch black (no lights of any kind) through Bellevue and Kirkland. Secret? A 1200 lumen LED flashlight. :D $25 on Amazon.

Riding is another thing. I don't mind riding in the rain. It's fun. Most fun I ever had on a bike was riding in the rain in Hawaii. I don't mind cold. But combine the cold and rain, and add wet slippery autumn leafs to the bike lanes and shoulders, and the grind of the indoor trainer sounds more appealing.
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick Hamilton available for Spring 2014. best1wave@aol.com
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [best1wave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick Hamilton is available for private coaching lessons in the Bremerton/Silverdale area for the 2015/2016 season. I am currently available at the Kitsap Tennis and Athletic Center for triathletes and masters swimmers. I am currently serving as Head Coach for the Olympic Aquatic Club. I am motivated to work with athletes on the peninsula, so if you are looking to get better, please contact me.
best1wave@aol.com
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't want to start a new thread and am hoping someone can recommend a good swim coach down in the Tacoma/Federal Way area. Most of the coaches that were mentioned were for the Seattle area. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If it matters, I am new to swimming and am just starting out. I'd like to reinforce good habits and not develop bad ones. My fear is if I keep training blindly, it will be much harder to reverse down the road. Thanks!
Last edited by: Lucky7: Mar 14, 16 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: seattle area swim coaches? [Lucky7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucky7 wrote:
I didn't want to start a new thread and am hoping someone can recommend a good swim coach down in the Tacoma/Federal Way area. Most of the coaches that were mentioned were for the Seattle area. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If it matters, I am new to swimming and am just starting out. I'd like to reinforce good habits and not develop bad ones. My fear is if I keep training blindly, it will be much harder to reverse down the road. Thanks!

The Raise the Bar team is based in Kent and Covington. They have coached swim workouts and may be able to refer you to a local coach for private lessons. See http://www.weraisethebar.com/swim.html
Quote Reply