Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

seat height: road vs tri bike
Quote | Reply
I understand that your seat height should be the same in both your tri and road bike but because of the fore/aft difference in saddle location between road and tri bike should the measured saddle height be the same in both bikes?

In other words if my tri bike measures 77.5cm from center of bottom bracket to center top of saddle should the road bike also measure 77.5cm even though its saddle is further back?

or,

should I forget about the actual number and ensure I have the same knee angle with the crank at full extension?
Quote Reply
Re: seat height: road vs tri bike [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: seat height: road vs tri bike [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Dan's article, "Proper Bike Fit for Triathletes, April.03": he mentioned "I also think that for steep seat-angled tri bike riding the saddle ought to be slightly higher than for road riding. " which is differnet to a publication I read from PKRacing.com: Going Aero, which mentioned that "Generally a triathlon bike saddle should be slightly lower that a road bike saddle, about 3 to 5mm, to conpensate for the pelvic rotation while raises the hip joint"

Gets confusing.

*You're no good to me dead*
Quote Reply
Re: seat height: road vs tri bike [BobaFett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
             "Gets confusing. "

Seems to me I read somewhere that if you have a road geometry bike and are moving the seat forward (forward post, etc) then the seat should be moved up. I believe this author claimed move the seat up 1 cm for every two cm's forward. Same ratio, only in reverse, when moving the seat back into a "big slam" position. However, if you have a tri geometry bike then your seat should be slightly lower than your road position.

Don't ask me the logic behind this. It's just something somebody wrote.
Quote Reply
Re: seat height: road vs tri bike [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy, can you explain the logic behind your statement?
Quote Reply
Re: seat height: road vs tri bike [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No offense to "bike fitters" charging $150 to age groupers and promising to take minutes of their 40k TT, but I think you should beware of anyone telling you that any measurement on your bike should be a certain way. Just look at the different riding position of the top Kona racers. The only thing in common between Zack and Macca on the bike is that they both look effortless doing 100rpm and 25mph. There is an objectively measurable way to be more aero but aero gains are useless if you can't walk after a 45min ride. Once you can ride your bike comfortably for 3 or 4 hours then you can tweak for aero and power but not to move your comfortable position to a position dictated by some formula or theory!
Quote Reply