Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
scared of flying?
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one here who is s..t scared of getting in a plane, who holds the arm rests so hard when there are turbulences that the next passenger gets to think "oh, these arm rests have finger prints, nice ergonomy" ?

asking 'cause tomorrow I go to France...can't I just get teleported there?
Quote Reply
Re: scared of flying? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No fear of flying at all.

I'm flying across the Pacific to SF on Friday and the only thing I am concerned about it what will happen to my bike! I don't like the idea of it being inspected without me being around to make sure it is repacked correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: scared of flying? [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois, if you had expressed that fear when here, I'd have given you some of my Ambien. Good for 7-8hrs of sleep on the plane when I was going to London. Have a great time in France.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 31, 04 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh for chrissake davet! thanks for your help!

now I will have 2 reasons to be worried! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

sorry!

You off to IM France? I did it in 2002 - great race, great location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2003...took a spill at 50mph going down Straiture defile...hope the outcome will be better this time...it was painful...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sorry to hear that Francois.

Hope you have a great race this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crap my pants every time...

gorilla - an anthropoid ape, related to the chimpanzee but less erect and much larger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scared silly to get on a plane. Always been afraid of flying. However, I don't let my fear keep me from traveling by plane. If there's somewhere I want to go, I'll get on a plane. However, while I'm on said plane, I'm as nervous as can be. I'm not at all comfortable being in a metal cylinder 30,000 feet off the ground. I understand your feelings, doctor.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And good luck in IM France.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can I trade some fear of going downhill fast on a bike (I'm still a wuss, but getting better) for some fear of flying (I routinely get BOOOOOOORED on planes, not to mention they're way too cramped)?

Only time that for me things got a bit dicey on a plane was some years back when I was in India and it was kind of obvious the pilot was a bit 'new' so to speak, when we landed we had the hardest, bounciest, most obviously newbieish landing I've ever been on: I was really surprised that the plane's suspension/tires didn't give out from under us ;-) usually the only reason that prevents me from falling asleep on a plane is the fact that the seats are so #)%#*_* close together and uncomfortable, if I could afford those 'lay down flat' bedseats in first/business I'd sleep the whole way all the time!

When you hit turbulences think about being on a rollercoaster (unless you're scared of being on those as well) it's actually a lot of fun (unless the person behind you is noisily throwing up like it happened to me on a flight some years back) esp. when you consider just how much safer a plane is than a rickety old wooden coaster ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is too late for this flight. However, six weeks before your next flight I will recommend Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Research shows that this is the most effective and efficient psychotherapy for dealing with anxiety (e.g. phobia). For this flight you could use cognitive distraction and relaxation techniques:

2R * Pi will give you the circumference of a circle. A wheel is a type of circle.

Gears are based or ratios which you could use to multiply by the circumference.

As the plane take off use this as a mantra “A wheel is a type of circle”. Take a deep breath and keep repeating “A wheel is a type of circle” and try to relax.

“A wheel is a type of circle”, fwoooooooo, and relax!

“A wheel is a type of circle”, fwoooooooo, and relax!

>>ergonomy

The word is ergonomics.

Have a good trip

Pluto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love flying. I feel more safe in a plane then in a tall building. The science is all for planes flying. I can't make you feel better but having lived a lot of my life on planes of every kind I know you will be safe.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: scared of flying? [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love flying. I nearly got my gliders pilots licence as a kid but my parents got divorced and I no longer had access to a glider when dad buggered off.

I love flying. Once I was on a Lockheed L1011 in Vancouver, trying to fly home to Toronto. To make a long story short, the engine caught on fire as we were taking off. Front wheel just about to come off the ground and flames pouring out the back of the engine, just 20' from my seat. FAR OUT, pretty colours was all I could think. Then I thought about dying. Then I hoped it would be a fast death. Pilot stopped the plane in time and the engine fire stopped. We jumped out of the plane in to the freezong cold runway. Damn it was cold with no jacket on. We were delayed about 11 hours while they replaced the engine. The passengers revolted and demanded a new plane. Duh. I was a day and a half late getting home.

I love flying. How come planes hardly ever crash and people freak out about it when they do. Cars crash all the time but we get in them every day and most people I see don't even wear their seatbelts! Go figure.

I love flying.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: scared of flying? [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"2R * Pi will give you the circumference of a circle. A wheel is a type of circle. "

Prove it ;-)

Hint: you may want to use integrals. An integral is a type of linear form over some vector space with respect to some measure.
A vector space over a field is an algebraic construction. for example the vector space of functions over the real numbers.
A field is also an algebraic construction. For example
GF(2^8) the preferred field of cryptographers.
A measure is an additive set function (with some additional properties).

And a wheel is not a type of cycle as it is a 3-D object whereas a circle is a 1-D object.

Thanks for ergonomics though, I make that mistake frequently. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love flying and I have been involved in one parachutng accident and one plane crash in which three people died. I still love to fly. I took some flying lessons years ago and even went to private pilot ground school but never took the time to get my license. I have 57 parachute jumps (56 successful).

Airplanes are meant to fly. They want to stay in the air. Aviation is genrally very safe. The fact that I walked away from a serious accident is proof of that.

Airplanes are a lot more rugged that people give them credit for- especially airliners.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of your hints are completely not applicable and irrelevant to the discussion. But as usual you are very articulate and absolutely right - A wheel is not a circle it is indeed a 3D object. Or shall I say a class. An object will be a specific implementation, that is an instance of, a wheel. For example, the front wheel on my bike is an object. However, being a member of the wheel class means that one of the class attributes is the circumference. The wheel has a dimension which has a diameter attribute. If one does not know the circumference of his or her wheel, then using the computation that I specified earlier one could derive this value from the diameter attribute of the wheel. In this respect a wheel is an aggregate class that has three dimensions. Each dimension is a class that has attributes. One of which is a circle.

Ergonomics is a more European term and more and more US Ergonomists describe themselves as Human Factors Engineers. Human Factors entails more than anthropometry and biomechnics and is therefore the preferred term. Engineering emphasises the need for solving design problems on the basis of valid scientific principles and explicitly specified requirements. This is better than simply focusing on evaluation and assessment when it is already too late in the design process for any changes to be implemented.

As I understand you are going to participate in Ironman France. For this I have to say one thing – I sincerely hope that you will perform to the standards you are hoping for and have an excellent time. You are a very talented athlete and I wish you all the very best of luck. Don’t worry about flights they are safer than riding bicycles.

Good luck

Pluto

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate flying. I have come to the conclusion that it is because I have no control over the plane, I am at the mercy of the pilot. I hate sitting in the passenger seat of cars too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be, so much so that when my parents offered to send me to Europe after college I declined. Most of the fear disappeared, though, after I started practicing law. I find the stress of that profession far out weighs the stress of flying. I've even started to think of flying as an escape.

I still don't like a lot of turbulence, and when I'm with my hubby on vacation (sans kids), I tend to drink a little more than I should. One of the better movies that touches on the subject of fear of flying is French Kiss with Meg Ryan. It's a chick flick, but it's great.

Good luck in France and good luck on your flight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not the flying that scares me, it's the smashing into the ground at 700 mph that bothers me. I HATE it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fly at least several times a year for work, and I never get on a plane that I don't think of it crashing. I'm not as bad as I used to be, though - I used to be sleepless for several nights before flying. Now, I think about the risk but I've flown enough that it doesn't bother me much. There's a risk in most things that are worthwhile doing.

My husband flies constantly - to Europe, Asia, where ever - and he still says he thinks about planes going down when he's flying.

More troublesome is when someone shady looking is on the plane with you. Last month I went to NC and some guy was getting on the plane in front of me who had 1) an ethnic look (unfair, maybe, but it is what it is) 2) clothes that were too small for him 3) no socks and shoes that were very worn and too big 4) carrying on a very small, worn briefcase and a too big piece of luggage. His overall appearance was disheveled and he looked like he was wearing someone else's clothes. Turns out he sat directly in front of me on the plane. Shortly before landing he got up to go to the bathroom, and I became very uneasy when he was gone for an unusually long period of time. It ended uneventfully, of course, but I'm very aware of people I'm flying with anymore. I guess that's a good thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,
Flying is a lot safer than the car to get you to the airport or even taking a long bike ride. I flew in the military and flying is only fun when you are low and fast or upside down. The reason most people are scared of flying is because of the news - when something happens it is so infrequent that everybody knows about it. Remember, it is safer than anything in our sport.
Larry

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: scared of flying? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“I love flying. I nearly got my gliders pilots licence as a kid but my parents got divorced and I no longer had access to a glider when dad buggered off.”

My glider is sitting in the back yard (in it’s trailer). I haven’t flown it since moving from Utah. However, my recent long bike rides have been up to a small airport in Middletown, NY where a glider club is operating. I have chatted with a few of the members the last two weeks. It has been great motivation to ride long. Then again, it is priceless to see their expressions when I explain that I rode up from New Jersey. Anyway, in soaring, one quickly learns that in altitude there is safety. There is nothing like being up at 18,000 feet on a good day with lots of cumulous clouds hanging around.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]

And a wheel is not a type of cycle as it is a 3-D object whereas a circle is a 1-D object.

[/reply]

Isn't a circle 2 dimensional?

Good luck in france either way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The safest place you can be is above 30,000 in the air. Safer than bath tubs, cars, homes, etc. The problem is getting up and down from there. I've been involved in 2 near fatal commercial plane crashes, and I know what you are going through. So now I just hold on for the take off and landing, and relax while crusing the clouds.......Monty
Quote Reply

Prev Next