Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

salt?
Quote | Reply
I do my share of sweating, possibly more than average. I will be doing my first IM this summer and am looking for some input on suplemental salt intake

Thanks

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: salt? [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your easiest bet is when doing long bricks, the specific ones you do for races, with race food, race drink, race bike and all, then get some salt tablets like the lava salt of the ones of hammer gels (actually maybe they are the same, forgot), take these tablets throughout your training.
if your stomach can stand them, then go for it in your race...
in any case, during the IM, don't do something you haven't practiced in training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IM Hawaii in 1996 -- my first and only Ironman -- but I have a fair share of ultra marathon and adventure racing experience, too.

Prior to the race, I couldn't figure out why folks would put potato chips in their drop bags. At about 18 miles into the marathon, I was ready to clobber someone to take their chips away -- I was craving the salt!

The night before a big race or workout day, I will eat a family sized can on Campbell's chicken noodle soup... lots of fluid, carbs, AND sodium! I have a pretty tough stomach, and often drink a V-8 right before a long workout or race (loaded with sodium). Meal replacement drinks (such as Boost -- a personal preference) contain a decent amount of sodium, taste great, provide plenty of calories mid-race, and can be chugged quickly in transition or in a drop bag.

God bless!
Ray
Quote Reply
Re: salt? [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think you should also read salt, a world history by mark kurlansky. wonderful!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like you I will be doing my first IM this year (IMF) and I am gathering all the info I can to complete mine successfully.

One of the things I learned recently at a nutrition seminar is the utmost importance for fueling the body, especially during the bike leg where the body can take in fuel consistently and is essential in setting you up for a good run. Your nutritional input I have been told should be 200 - 500 calories /hr.

In addition your fluids (water)or sports drink 12 - 20 oz/hr. If your osmosis ability is off; the ability to get the water and nutients from your gut into the blood stream is hampered. The sloshing stomach, nausea, etc. Here is where salt comes into play.

How much salt? It apparantly greatly differs from athlete to athlete so you have to play with it at training to see what works and at which doses. I have decided to use Enurolytes and play within the recomnended dosage range. Seems to work well for me (I have had nausea, etc, on my longer work outs). Hammergel.com has a wealth of information regarding nutrition (I have no ties to 'em other than that I use it- just started this year).

Next big take away from the meeting is eat and fuel while training like you would on race day. Get your nutrition dialed in and stick with it at race day, but be flexible within your plan. Never, never adjust your routine on race day because you learned of something new at the expo. You are then playing with fire.

Lastly hyponatremia (low salt level in blood) is dangerous; disorientation to death (I have lost a family memeber to it) and at a certain point, just eating salty foods will not have any effect anymore - that's when a medic will need to stick you with an IV.

So I am learning my body and it's nutritional needs during long and hot work outs so I will be dialed in for my halfs and IMF. Good luck on your road to IM!

Henk

Alex Jonker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely practice using these in training. I tried regular salt tablets and everytime I would take one, I would become nauseous for about 20 mintes. I then tried suceed! tabs which contain a buffer to help neutralize stomach acids and did not have this problem anymore.

Whatever you decide to use, you'll probably want to adjust how often you take them according to how hot the weather is and how much you are sweating.
Quote Reply