Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

run training...time of day
Quote | Reply
I am training for IMUSA in July. Generally, I run early in the AM. Almost never after noon. Can any one comment on switching my run to the late afternoon to aclimate my self/body to the time of day I will be running at LP. In fact, the way training is going maybe i should run at night!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: run training...time of day [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. I did my first Olympic-length tri last weekend, and I was totally unprepared for the heat of the run. I train by running every morning at 6:00 or 6:30 (depending on how long the run that day), when the average temperature is about 40 degrees where I run. On triathlon day, the run was in 70-degree weather. Ouch!

I might add that, because of the heat and because I hadn't done much brick training my pace on the 10K run (which was on dirt trails through hilly/mountainous terrain), a averaged 10 min/mile. By comparison, I recently did a 10K race, in the cool of the winter and without the "benefit" of having "warmed up" with a swim and a ride, at a 7:07 pace. (I'm 58 years old.)

So, the short answer, train as close to race conditions as possible.

Do as I say, not as I do. I've got the Utah Half IM coming up in a week; the half-marathon run will be during the heat of the day, and I've yet to do one training run in the heat. My goal, obviously, is to just finish.

Good luck with your IM training!

--Scott

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Re: run training...time of day [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to train as close to race conditions as possible. I used to run in the morning but I found during my races, running in the heat of the day, my body wasn't conditioned for it. So now I try to run in the afternoons.

Good Luck

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply