Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: run/walk strategy in HIM [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are looking at a run/walk strategy you won't be able to do it in 2 hours, unless your running speed is pretty quick. A 2 hour half is about a 9:15 pace. You are most likely looking at 2.5 hours plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are quite a few walk run articles online.
The conclusion I always come away with is that you can walk run to within a few minutes of your best times, as the distance gets longer.

From my own experience I have walk/run (over the age of 60) to within a few minutes of 2 hrs with no great problem and am about to try a half (with a very flat run) and hope to beat 2 hrs (I'm not getting any younger). I find it lowers my average HR and stops the heat build up. If you have run a 1:25, which is a time I would have needed a bike to match at any age, I can't see why you wouldn't easily beat 2 hrs, now. Just run between aid stations and walk for a minute. The purists may think a complete run is the only way to go, the practical understand that 13 x 1 mile repeats are way easier than 1 x 13 miles.

As a masters swimmer, a few years ago, I often swam 100m repeats on 1:45 (yeah the slow lane) yet raced the Tri swims at 1:40

Find a comfortable 1 mile pace and repeat.....13 times.
The muscle and the form are always still there.
Just like swimmers.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: run/walk strategy in HIM [Vaulter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you have to aim for a semi-decent run off the bike - as close to 10km as you can, then can walk/run the remaining 10/11km. That will get you close to 2 hours.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happens when you run/walk in training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this and done right, it definitely can be smarter than running without stopping. Especially on tired legs, which makes 70.3s and up a perfect candidate for this approach.

First, walk the aid stations. This allows you to get in fluids and fuel without bouncing all over the place and missing your mouth. A lot of smart and very fast people do this to actually finish faster in Ironmans. It's a very handy trick to know.

Second, I've personally found that two breaks every 8-10 minutes keeps you fresher than running for nearly 10 minutes and then taking a break. So if you're walking the aid stations every mile, then also mix in a walk break every half mile for 30 seconds or more.

Third, make sure to do it right from the start of the run. They've proven it's like dehydration - once the symptoms of trouble kick in, it's too late. Prevention is better than needing the cure.

Lastly, Do it in your longer runs in practice. This will give you the confidence this really works (it does!) and keeps you familiar with making the habit happen for real instead of it being all weird and new on race day and then you don't execute it corrrectly.

Also, if you pick a hilly race, walk any hills as soon as your legs start to burn. You'll need that energy later and appreciate what you did earlier.

One under-appreciated benefit is doing this will beat you up less during your long runs and races, which will make you recover faster and not be as miserable afterwards.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: run/walk strategy in HIM [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good post here, listen to this advice. This year I've raced pretty poorly overall (hahaha), but in the last 3 years I get about 15-20 seconds every aid station as well as about 10 seconds between aid on any significant uphills (if there). I've consistently run 1:32-1:34 with this approach. Practicing walking fast is key - if you don't you will blow your hips out real quick.

Search Gordo Byrn run/walk and/or Bobby McGee run/walk on Google - some really good information out there from people that know what they're doing.
Last edited by: pvolb: Aug 27, 19 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much are you looking to walk?

I did a 1:31 HM with a bit of walk/running. I walked all the aid stations for ~15-20 seconds each mile and that was enough to keep the HR low(ish) and reduce a bit of the constant pounding on my legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a run/walk strategy for my last few races and in most of my training. mostly, bc I am injury prone at higher mileage and intensity. At Eagleman this year I did run/walk intervals of around 3:00 to 3:30 run then 0:30 walk. I had only run about 6 weeks prior to the race coming off a leg injury.

It's a flat course, for sure, but I managed a very respectable 2:05 HM time with run/walk. My run pace is 8:00-8:30 (and my open HM PR is only 1:53) The walk breaks are great for my body and they give me a break mentally as well.

You can TOTALLY get under 2hr. I hope to use that strategy next year and get even faster.
Quote Reply