Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

road speed/trainer speed
Quote | Reply
I thought I saw a recent post that said something along the lines that road speed is faster than your trainer speed. Assuming gearing is the same -- and not counting wind, road conditions, etc. -- is there anything to this and are there general rules to compare the two. I'm just wondering, because I bought a new bike and I noticed a significant speed increase on the trainer compared to what I was riding on my old bike on the trainer and last year's road times -- maybe its the proper fit on the new ride??? FYI -- I checked my computer and it is calibrated correctly.

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: road speed/trainer speed [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on what kind of trainer it is and how much resistance it offers versus riding outside. My fluid trainer requires more power than riding outside on flat ground. My old wind trainer was much lower resistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a computranier and on it my speeds are slower than outside, consistenly so. My wife has found the same thing, she is on it right now in fact.

Quote | Reply
It depends how much resistance your trainer has. The two lowest resistances on my trainer (Taxc Cycleforce Swing, magnet brake) are easier than on a flat road. But when I switch to higher resistance I can simulate steep hills (or even more). This trainer is designed for high power at low pedalling frequency.
When I got my new Cervelo One I noticed also a speed gain outside. On the trainer i still use the old bike.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply