Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

rim tape width?
Quote | Reply
Best way to determine rim tape diameter to purchase?

I have Flo 60's (carbon + aluminum). After removing the tire, I found the rim strip isn't really functional anymore (two holes over spoke holes). The rim strip is labeled 700Cx20.

I started looking at tape (not another strip) and Velox tape seems to be highly recommended. They state: Use the 16mm size for 700c racing wheels and the 22mm size for wider 700c comfort wheels.

I just find myself confused and I'm looking at installing latex tubes and don't want to set myself up for an "oops, I should have..."-moment.

Any insights and recommendations are welcomed!

Thanks!
Last edited by: bthiel: Jun 13, 20 10:02
Quote Reply
Re: rim tape width? [bthiel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to Flo's website they are 18mm internal width rim, personally I would use duct tape cut to width. Or electrical tape stretched to fit the rim if using this go twice around the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For latex tubes, two wraps of 21mm rim tape of my Flo Wheels worked for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Best way to determine rim tape diameter?"

Is that a trick question?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use Stans or similar tubeless tape for latex tubes. I don't know the internal width of your wheels, but my guess would be that 21mm or so wide tape would be fine. Use two layers for a bit of extra security.

I would stay clear of duct tape, gaffer tape or electrical tape. Latex tubes are likely to wear through it and burst. Might be OK with butyl tubes.
Last edited by: MTM: Jun 13, 20 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: rim tape width? [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Stan's tape. Velox cloth tape is thicker (which makes tire /tube mounting more difficult).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply