Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ride 100, day before sprint tri?
Quote | Reply
Flat 100 miles in a group ride. Sprint race next day? any thoughts? I have over 4000 miles in already this year.
Quote Reply
Re: ride 100, day before sprint tri? [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could certainly do it, the question is how well do you want to do in the Sprint? Is it an "A" race or just a training session? Obviously you (or most people) will not be at your best for the Sprint if you've got a 100 miles of lactic acid residing in your quads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the sprint were an A race then I would not do it. Instead, I would do like 10 repeats of short burst (15 seconds) at race intensity separated by a few minutes at easy pace.

If you are training for an IM later in the season and race the sprint without tapering, then it is a different story. Don't be disappointed if your finish time is a little slower than normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heck ya I'd do it... sprint is for socializing unless you have great top end speed. If you have great top end you still could do the ride and see if you could hang on the sprint. How'd Mark Allen say it,

"Unless you test yourself you stagnate. Unless you go way beyond what you've been able to do before you won't develop or grow. When you go for it 100 pct and don't have that fear of 'what if I fail', that's when your really living"

JUST DO IT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually just did that this weekend, saturday was a fast 95 km group ride, with lots of roadies and plenty of sprints and hills..(in other words, hard) sunday (today)was the milton triathlon, 750 m, 30 k, 7.5 (really it was 8 however). My week was pretty lax because work was brutal, so i had to take friday off training. I found that my swim wasn't affected, my bike time was slower, but i was still able to put out a good effort, but where it really affected me was on the run. My run started out great, but i found for the last 1.5 k, i was just dieing. I went in treating this race as a hard workout, and ended up racing extremely well. However, i did this because i wanted to see if my body could do it, and because i have a rest week next week, so i could recover. If this is a priority race, don't do the ride, but if its a more of a hard workout, go ahead, but take the time to recover after.

David
Quote Reply
Re: ride 100, day before sprint tri? [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd do it. I've done some races on sunday after riding 60-70 saturday including 15 miles of climbing at 4-8% grades. Still posted the 1st or second fastest bike split all three times. The runs were off a bit but only 15sec or so. After all if you don't push and try new things you don't improve as much.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply