Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

return to water - AOS asking simple workouts please
Quote | Reply
The local Y pool is finally getting open, with lane reservations. I normally swim with a Master's group, but the pool they use is not available for another month (that facility took this time to do a massive renovation). As such, I am swimming on my own.

I have been trying to swim on my own - but am not having much success. Swim is not my strength and I struggle to enjoy it. Having a pre-defined workout will help me push through. I will be able to get 2-3 swims a week in. So far I have worked on basic drills and some distance (not getting longer than 200 yards at a time yet). Dang that stuff fell off fast.

If the ST community would provide a few (or even 1 good one) workouts that will help me make best use of my time, I would be very, very appreciative.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: return to water - AOS asking simple workouts please [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warmup
10 x 50
10 x 100
Cool down
Quote Reply
Re: return to water - AOS asking simple workouts please [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just get in and do some mixed drills, stroke work & kicking. Something like 10-50 x 75 in groups of 3-5 as 25stroke/swim/ build, kick/drill/swim do these on :10-:15 rest

If you do drills make sure you
1. ID a stroke flaw
2. come up with a drill to fix it

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: return to water - AOS asking simple workouts please [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Warmup
10 x 50
10 x 100
Cool down

Keep it simple. I second this workout. And if you get in and the warmup feels too "crunchy," use the 50s as the warm-up. If the 100s prove too much, it's fine. Go back the next day and do it again. This will probably be my first workout back too (ex-college swimmer).

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a basic workout I did the first 3 or 4 times back at the pool after they started opening up for me a few weeks ago.

Warm Up
300 warm up
3 x 100 - 50 kick, 50 swim (kick on stomach with snorkel or kick board), with fins
3 x 100 - 50 kick, 50 swim (kick on back, or kick on stomach if you really hate kicking on your back), with fins

Main Set
300 pull easy/moderate (snorkel, buoy)
4 x 100 swim at moderate effort (faster than warmup, slower than "fast")

300 pull easy/moderate (snorkel, buoy)
12 x 25 swim at fast (~90%) effort

Cool Down
200 easy
Last edited by: tanzbodeli: Jun 4, 20 11:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guppy challenge has worked for me.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...nge_Week_1_6131.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a simple workout that I've found really effective for building speed.

You swim 75m, leaving for each one at the time it takes you to do 100m at your 1500m race pace.

1st 75 repeat is all easy
2nd is first 50 easy, last 25 hard
3rd is first 25 easy, last 50 hard
4th is all 75 hard

Repeat this block of 4x75 for 30min (longer as you get fitter)

The nice thing about this set is that as you have more hard laps, you get more rest; culminating with the 75 hard that is followed by both the longest rest and a full 75 easy as the next rep. It allows you to go hard and get a chance to recover, so you get some fast swimming in and also learn to swim slower with form as you recover.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: return to water - AOS asking simple workouts please [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thankyou to everyone. These are great! Something simple and yet they are diverse enough to mix things up between sessions.

Stay safe out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got in the water for the first time since March a couple days ago. MAN, my back/lats and shoulders are still sore! I am in the same boat as you with the Y. The outdoor pools opened, but the Y closest to me hasnt yet as its indoor. I got a quick 800 in during the lifeguard break and it felt like I lost everything.

I'm hoping my fitness will come back quick just by getting in the water a little more. It sucks going backwards after devoting a lot of time to improve my swim, but I guess the bright side is everyone is in the same boat. Now if only there were races or something to train for.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply