Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
recommendations for a 'plush' road bike?
Quote | Reply
Hi there guys

In the market for a new road bike after mine got rear ended by a car (a trusty old Cannondale CAAD 4) . Due to some back inflexibility on my part ( I have mild scoliosis) I dont like spending lots of time aggressive position and am looking for something more upright but that can still be reasonably racy and exciting to ride. this bike might end up pulling double duty as a tri bike ( dont have much space in the house for many bikes.)

I have looked at some options which are:
Bianchi infinto (in celeste, of course!)
Look 566
Giant Defy 1/0
scott CR 1
eddy mercxx EMX3 ( an outside choice as its mega expensive in my area and mega ugly imho)

geometric wise all these bikes fit very similarly, would love to hear some thoughts and opinions. anyone own any of these? looks? handling?

note: I know bikes like the cervelo RS and specialized roubaix shld be considered, but they are too expensive in my area for me. my local sponsor carries look, bianchi, scott and eddy mercxx, which is why I might be able to get them cheaper.)
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for a 'plush' road bike? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're looking for "new" and "plush", look no further than Titan Flex

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one is pretty plush, and its got an extra long headtube for your back:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinkin' the bikes you've listed there or any bike made with a Conti 700x25 Gatorskin at ~95lbs of pressure. PLUSH!

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are patient get a Pegoretti
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about staying with Cannondale and looking at the Synapse...kind of that middle ground between full on race and cruiser---it's the comfort racer!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waterford, Lynskey, Elite...just tell them to make it a tad longer....if it were me, I would have a hell of a time deciding between Elite and Lynskey.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary Fisher Cronus. Super comfortable for everyday riding and/or racing, and they come with a tall head tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our shop carries Bianchi and Look and I'd ridden all the others, but only once apiece. My vote goes for the Infinito
A.) Celeste is beyond classic
B.) I think it rides better than the Look. More "Cadillac" feel. (i.e. I could eat a sandwhich, check my email, and take a nap and it'll still be straight on course)
C.) Its flippin CELESTE
D.) I've had a really easy time fitting people similar to your description on it (I know that's vague) without jacking the handling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized Rouibaix. This bike is really compliant but is light, fast and can be slightly more upright although I have my stem turned down as I like a more aggressive position. It's not crit responsive but tracks well and you can ride it forever. I had an old Trek Y Foil, still have it, and this is more plush than that beam bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After that CAAD4, everything will feel plush: ) No Cervelo RS on the list?
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for a 'plush' road bike? [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on the Roubaix...one of the most comfortable bikes on the road...also, the "zert" inserts, while gimmiky, do dampen road shock. Good luck!

It's simple, but it isn't easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure I can't convince you so i won't try very hard. But, look at a Gunnar Roadie. Longer headtube. Steel. Made in the USA by Waterford. Frameset is about 1,000 dollars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know no one here like Bicycling Magazine, but they had a whole section in their buyers guide issue devoted to the Plush category.

that said, i find the Jamis Endura line to be intriguing; long-reach calipers for tires up to i think 32 wide, decent component spec, not unreasonable prices.

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for a 'plush' road bike? [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'd have a hard time choosing between an aluminum and a ti frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for a 'plush' road bike? [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you'd have a hard time choosing between an aluminum and a ti frame?

Frankly, yes. Alu gets a bad rap but has for decades been the #1 material in the pro peloton. Any material can be made to ride any way - what changes is weight. A plush Alu bike I would bet could be 1.5lbs lighter than a plush Ti bike...and if both had lifetime warranties.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for TitanFlex Transition

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is making me want an Infinito again, but for me it would have to be the only bike, and I imagine it would be less than ideal for tris. But it's pretty...

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for a 'plush' road bike? [Bah Humbug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Got about $14,500 floating around?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for a 'plush' road bike? [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Got about $14,500 floating around?

Do you think if I put that and an Infinito in the garage with some candles and massage oil I could get a breeding program going? A few litters and I might be able to justify the price.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for a 'plush' road bike? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you're looking for "new" and "plush", look no further than Titan Flex

x2. After 10,000 miles on my Titanflex, double-diamond bikes feel like jackhammers.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for a 'plush' road bike? [xcmntgeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Our shop carries Bianchi and Look and I'd ridden all the others, but only once apiece. My vote goes for the Infinito
A.) Celeste is beyond classic
B.) I think it rides better than the Look. More "Cadillac" feel. (i.e. I could eat a sandwhich, check my email, and take a nap and it'll still be straight on course)
C.) Its flippin CELESTE
D.) I've had a really easy time fitting people similar to your description on it (I know that's vague) without jacking the handling.

hey just asking does it fit people with long legs/short torsos well? i'm abit in between the 53 and 55 for the infinito so I'm wondering what size I should get if I do go with the infinito.

anyway like I said I know I should try the synapse, roubaix and the RS, but all 3 are just ridiculously overpriced here where I live. (asia). more leaning towards the look now, cause its cheap! weight and warranty arent too impressive for a look though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking for plush, then I highly recommend one of them thar carpet fiber bikes. Here at Elroy's Bike and Carpet Emporium, we'll be able to set you up real good. Just come on in and we'll help ya git 'er done. Free set-o-tires if you come on in before deer huntin' season starts.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply

Prev Next