Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels
Quote | Reply
getting my road bike back on the road and got some new shoes on order so i can run tubeless versus my crappy old tube only alum wheels. decided on the 303s wheels.

im looking at their page recommendation for tubeless tires and im kinda at a loss on what to order. i always have just run conti gp tires, but for a daily tire i feel thats 1) overkill and 2) maybe not the best choice for a tire i care more about durability than outright performance.

here is their tire page...

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaigns/hookless-tire-compatibility

just reading reviews the goodyear vector 4-seasons look like a good popular choice.

anyone? bueller?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Schwalbe pro one (not TT) and they do well...

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Quote Reply
Re: recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get about a season of wear out of the GP5000s and I tend to run over something like a nail or have some other catastrophic failure before the tire actually wears out. If you can find them in stock, I would just keep using them because they are such great all around tires.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I get about a season of wear out of the GP5000s and I tend to run over something like a nail or have some other catastrophic failure before the tire actually wears out. If you can find them in stock, I would just keep using them because they are such great all around tires.

i guess i should quantify my reference to durability not being longevity, but a more better ability to stave off that catastrophic event youre talking about.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

i guess i should quantify my reference to durability not being longevity, but a more better ability to stave off that catastrophic event youre talking about.
Much to the chagrin of people who enjoy a nice ride feel, my wife and I use conti gatorskins and gator hardshells (whatever's on sale) year round on our road bikes. Just got tired of the flat frequency on GP5000's. IME, flat frequency more than doubled when we moved from GP4000s to GP5000s. Could also be that our mileage doubled in that time frame, but the ride interruption became too much.

FWIW, I also ran a Vittoria Rubino Control for the life of the tire (~4000 miles) and never flatted until the very end when I decided the tire was through it's lifespan. Still moved to Gators.

Here's a link I often share with clients:

What I do for tires, discussed on SlowTwitch

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
πŸ“± Check out our app β†’ Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube β†’ Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the Pirelli Cinturatos in 28, mounted to my 303s. They are tubeless. I do a mix of 70 road 30 gravel and they have been on for 18 months. They are a good compromise. That said, since I am not doing any bikes races in the next 6 months, I'm considering replacing them with some 30s or 32s with a wee bit more "bite" -

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running 30mm Schwalbe One's (not Pro or TT) for almost a year and haven't had any issues or flats (also on Zipp 303s). They're a bit more tire than the Pro One for sure, but similarly wanted something that wasn't going to have me on the side of the road with any frequency.

The roads I ride are quite good, but they've done very well on light/smooth gravel as well.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's planning on running tubeless though. I run 28mm GP5000s on my road bike and on my commuter and have had one flat. It was because a stick got caught in my fender on the commuter and gored open the sidewall of the tire. Got rid of the fender, still run GP5000s, haven't had an issue in 2+ years and 25K kms. I run an aluminum set of wheels and a carbon set of wheels so haven't even had to replace due to them wearing out yet.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels [KAlbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
28mm GP5000 TLs on my new model 303 wheels. Love the tires and wheelsβ€”especially riding them at 60 psi
Quote Reply
Re: recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels [KAlbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlbert wrote:
Got rid of the fender, still run GP5000s, haven't had an issue in 2+ years and 25K kms. I run an aluminum set of wheels and a carbon set of wheels so haven't even had to replace due to them wearing out yet.
That is incredible. We probably flat once every 500-700 miles on GP 5000's if I had to put a number on it. Sometimes it feels like more often than that. Maybe we just suck at spotting the nasty stuff on the road.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
πŸ“± Check out our app β†’ Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube β†’ Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 2 hoices if you are looking for flt protection:

1. Conti gatorskin
2, Specialized Amadilo

Both offer fantastic flat protection but ride a little rough. Of the 2 conti gatorskin's ride better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i appreciate the recommendations so far. seems the more popular options for tough tires are not really "ok" for the 303s wheels.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
KAlbert wrote:
Got rid of the fender, still run GP5000s, haven't had an issue in 2+ years and 25K kms. I run an aluminum set of wheels and a carbon set of wheels so haven't even had to replace due to them wearing out yet.
That is incredible. We probably flat once every 500-700 miles on GP 5000's if I had to put a number on it. Sometimes it feels like more often than that. Maybe we just suck at spotting the nasty stuff on the road.

I'm scared to even say this out loud, but I have probably done 20k miles on GP5000s without an issue. I just replace them when they are worn out.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
KAlbert wrote:

I'm scared to even say this out loud, but I have probably done 20k miles on GP5000s without an issue. I just replace them when they are worn out.
Mind blown. Tubeless?

I should have qualified, 85% of my experience on GP5000s has been on latex tubes, 15% with butyl tubes. No tubeless. No pinch flats IIRC. All punctures or weird sidewall tears.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latex with sealant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add, my wife has good luck with these too. European and now Maryland roads. She did have a sidewall tear from a screw and once had a tyre punctured that sealed. Both light-ish if it matters. 69kg and 49kg. We ride these fairly low in bar and adjust for weight.

But yeah, Orange Seal and latex. I Chunged this too and its not far off.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much orange seal? Asking for personal use recommendation :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Tucson I used latex tubes with SW Turbo Cottons successfully for almost a whole season of riding. I used Stan's, about 1 mini bottle per tire, maybe a little less.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. Very interesting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50ml approximately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Nice. Very interesting.

I'm curious, do many people not do this? The national mechanics on my old team taught this to me. I used to use tubeless on the road until I blew out on the front in a TT.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Jul 9, 22 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Nice. Very interesting.

I'm curious, do many people not do this? The national mechanics on my old team taught this to me. I used to use tubeless on the road until I blew out on the front in a TT.

I've never put sealant in a tube of any kind. Only in tubeless tires without tubes. Feeling a bit foolish now. But, yes, I think my (soon-to-be-former) approach without sealant is very common.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really hope it works. My wife and I are fans of you and yours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure we would be, likewise, if we got to know you two!

Quote Reply
Re: recommendation request for a good daily ridden tire for zipp 303s wheels [jcbesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here, 25mm. These are on a 303S wheelset.

Schwalbe Pro ONE TLE 700c Road Tire (HS493)
Quote Reply

Prev Next