Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

raleigh,NC training info
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I will be spending a large amount of time in the raleigh area in the coming year. I will be staying in hotels and was wondering if anyone has info on where would be best to stay. My primary interest is in a place to swim (weekday evenings), and bike (safe loop in evenings - possibly using lights)
Any other useful info welcome.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: raleigh,NC training info [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just left Ft Bragg in July, here's a couple groups you can try linking up with for more info on pools and our group workouts

Raleigh area triathlon club:

http://www.trirats.org/

Fayetteville area triathlon society:

www.fats.org

or just give insideoutsports a call. they do group workouts all the time.

If you've going to be in the area most of the year check out some of the races www.set-upinc.com put on over the summer. Bill Scott puts on some of the most well organizied and safe races one could ever ask for. He opens race registration 1JAN, some of his JUN-JUL sprints close out within days of him opening registration (latta plantation for example)...

Hope it helps.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is your office going to be in Raleigh? Traffic issues may also dictate the best place for you to stay.

I would probably try to stay somewhere near the Cary Inside Out Sports. In addition to the group workouts, the location is pretty close to the outskirts of Town which will make getting out for bike rides easier.

There are a few different options for swim workouts. The City has 2 year round pools, one of which is near downtown and one which is in North Raleigh. There is also a masters group that swims at Candler swim club, near the Raleigh/Cary border. IOS also has an Endless Pool that you can use for a reasonable charge.

Back in the old days, we used to ride loops on Weston Parkway (north Cary) during the dark days of Winter. Traffic has gotten a lot worse there since the mid 90's but it's still an option. It's a business park that is 3.5 miles long for a 7 mile round trip.

Email me or Joel Smith if you have any specific questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is an embassy suites just off harrison avenue in Cary across from SAS. There is also a extended stay hotel in the same area. This is a good area as it is convenient to the freeway, airport, food, starbucks, good running close by also.

Other options are off page road and miami blvd, closer to rtp. there are a bunch of hotels around this area includind a sheraton, a homewood suites, holiday inn, etc. There is a pulse athletic club near the sheraton in RTP. Running is a bit sketchier and traffic could be bad if you are riding in the evening.

I live in this area and their are many organized runs/rides from the local tri shop (Inside-Out Sports) and the local bike shops.

Send me an email if you'd like more info. craigwsullivan@yahoo.com

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the area!

This is a great area, and there is almost always someone to workout with.

OK, weekday evenings first. There is a Monday night run out of the Insideout store in Raleigh, and and a Wednesday evening run out of the Insideout store in Cary. The safest place to ride at night is the spin class at Insideout on Thursday night. Gotta' register on line for that one.
I live in Cary and commute to the RTP 2 to 3 times per week. There can be a lot of traffic, and I tend to avoid peak hours. The Traffic in the RTP dies down around 7:00 PM, and riding then is pretty safe. Ya' gotta' have lights though.
Umstead State Park is a great place to run. Miles and miles of trails all closed to traffic. The main road has just been redone in packed sand. It's awesome. I usually run there early in the mornings both during the week and on the weekends.
Lots of swimming options for you here too. Email me and I'll get more specific. This post is getting too long as it is. I'll send you my email address in a PM.

See Ya'

Joel
Quote Reply