Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
race insurance worth it?
Quote | Reply
Considering signing up for a 70.3 and the race registration and fees will be roughly $350. For approximately $40 more I could purchase race insurance. Oh wise Slowtwitch, what say you - worth it yay or nay? By my rough calculations it would be worth it if I have better than a 1 in 9 chance of being too injured to race. Does that sound about right to you? Is there an approximate no show rate of 11% at 70.3 triathlons?
Quote Reply
Re: race insurance worth it? [somers515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't buy insurance unless required by law or a contract.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy it for race packages that cost me a lot of money.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rarely buy race insurance but I did for the NOLA 70.3 because it was relatively cheap... like the $40 you mentioned. I broke two ribs in August. Refunded my registration plus the Active.com fees.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
somers515 wrote:
Considering signing up for a 70.3 and the race registration and fees will be roughly $350. For approximately $40 more I could purchase race insurance. Oh wise Slowtwitch, what say you - worth it yay or nay? By my rough calculations it would be worth it if I have better than a 1 in 9 chance of being too injured to race. Does that sound about right to you? Is there an approximate no show rate of 11% at 70.3 triathlons?

Not everybody who doesn't race is injured....so your chances are probably better, as some do actually chicken out.

If you already think about getting it, can afford it, and ride/train on the road, there is some peace of mind that you may gain if you buy it.
With the above frame of mind, and not getting it, I can only recommend to only ride on the trainer and err on the side of 'undertraining'.

I never get it and it was a close call at least once....(healed up just in time for the race).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just as an FYI, a friend of mine bought the registration insurance for 70.3 NOLA and he wasn't refunded when the race was canceled :( apparently that's not covered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
somers515 wrote:

I never buy the insurance. Sure, I've lost out every now and again on a race from an injury - but if you race often enough, one lost registration here and there is still cheaper than the repeat cost of buying insurance. I don't think it even covers travel change fees and that's much more expensive if you are not careful about it.
Quote Reply
Re: race insurance worth it? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

I agree. I know someone who tried to use the race insurance (NOT provided by WTC) to get a refund due to medical issues and the process of documenting the medical problem (i.e. getting doctor's certification, etc) was a debacle. If you've ever had a car accident and tried to use your insurance, know that the race insurance is the SAME ridiculous hoops and yo-yos you have to climb through and over to use it. Expect frustration and time WASTED.
Quote Reply
Re: race insurance worth it? [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

I agree. I know someone who tried to use the race insurance (NOT provided by WTC) to get a refund due to medical issues and the process of documenting the medical problem (i.e. getting doctor's certification, etc) was a debacle. If you've ever had a car accident and tried to use your insurance, know that the race insurance is the SAME ridiculous hoops and yo-yos you have to climb through and over to use it. Expect frustration and time WASTED.

I guess you do not have car or home insurance then, since it is sure a pain if you ever have to use.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: race insurance worth it? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Car insurance is required by law.

Home insurance is required by the bank if you have a mortgage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes,

Self insure if you can afford it and its not required.....if you cant afford loss, insurance makes sense, If you can afford the loss you are wasting money on buying insurance you can cover yourself.....

invest the money you would have spent on uneeded insurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wish I'd bought race insurance for IMAZ.

Had to pull out last week as I suffered a stress fracture in my foot and will be in a boot for the next 4 weeks.

Hoping to get the air fare from Switzerland to Phoenix refunded as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Car insurance is required by law.

Home insurance is required by the bank if you have a mortgage.

If car insurance is required by law, why do so many not have it?

You are missing the point. We can all roll the dice anyway we want. Since I own my home, I technically do not need insurance. But, with the accident to my house,
which might cost a million bucks to fix, sure glad I have it.

I always love the folks I see on TV that get flooded out and then complain they do not have insurance to rebuild. Or the folks who has a house burn down in a fire and did not buy fire insurance. They rolled the dice, and, ....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If car insurance is required by law, why do so many not have it? "

They can't afford it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

They can't afford it.

Most elect to not afford. Meaning, when I see the cell phones, as an example, come out at the salvation army when they are asking for free food because
they cannot afford food, well, ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

They can't afford it.

Most elect to not afford. Meaning, when I see the cell phones, as an example, come out at the salvation army when they are asking for free food because

And if you don’t have a phone you can’t apply for a job to make money, and well...
Quote Reply
Re: race insurance worth it? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

They can't afford it.

And if you don’t have a phone you can’t apply for a job to make money, and well...

Man, how did people survive all these thousand of years without cell phones until the last 10.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

They can't afford it.

We have a saying in my line of work, analogies suck. Comparing coverage of a $500 entry fee to a million dollar judgment for killing someone with your car, or a million dollar loss when you House burns down makes absolutely no sense
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worth it? Depends. If you never use it and buy every race, no. If you need it, yeah it was worth it. Racing since 2004 missed my share of races, even if insurance was available for every race if still be ahead. So for me, no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
anthonypat wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

They can't afford it.

Man, how did people survive all these thousand of years without cell phones until the last 10.

To get a job you need a phone number. Without a phone a potential employer cannot call you to tell you that you’re hired. Most short term housing for the poor do not have land lines. Land lines are usually bundled with cable and internet. More expensive than a cell phone and a basic plan. Cells phones are a basically necessity in this day and age.
Quote Reply
Re: race insurance worth it? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not worth it. If you need to make a claim, there is always a decent chance that the reason you need to make a claim is excluded from coverage - check out the guy who bought insurance for a race that was cancelled, and that was not covered. If you fracture a bone, that is probably covered, but a 102 degree fever, bet they dont pay. Kid with a 102 degree fever, bet they dont pay. Mom died, you are probably covered. Aunt Tilly died, bet they dont pay. Hit by a car and your bike is in six pieces, but you are in one piece, bet they dont pay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the insurance for a full Ironman in 2015.I think I paid about $90 for it.

I came down with a foot injury and wasn't able to race. The claim process was super easy. I got a note from my Chiropractor and filled out the paper work and got all my registration money back except for the insurance fee.

I seem to be injury prone, so I'll probably get it for all the 70.3s and 140.6 I do.
Quote Reply
Re: race insurance worth it? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:

Self insure if you can afford it and its not required.....if you cant afford loss, insurance makes sense, If you can afford the loss you are wasting money on buying insurance you can cover yourself.....

invest the money you would have spent on uneeded insurance.

^This! Good financial management suggests you insure only for potential catastrophic losses ... hence, life insurance, home insurance, and car insurance. It gets a lot more problematic after that. In general, it is financially wise to self-insure for all other risks. Americans tend to grossly over insure on risks that while perhaps painful in the short run, could be absorbed. And if you consider the likelihood of an occasional loss over a range of small assets (you appliances, car maintenance, a race entry fee, etc.) the amount saved by self insuring over the range of minor risks can be substantial over time. But if you can't stomach any loss, there are many companies that will offer you insurance for your new microwave or your race entry for a 100% mark-up (or more) over their cost.
Quote Reply
Re: race insurance worth it? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I also tend to self-insure unless required by law to get insurance or to avoid a catastrophic loss. While this insurance is neither of those things the pricing struck me as pretty reasonable so that's what got me tempted to consider it in this case. I'm viewing this more as a math problem. If the insurance was $1 I would think that even those above that say "I never get the insurance" would change their tune. Perhaps a better question would be at price would the insurance have to be for you to get the insurance for a $350 race? Or asked another way, in all of your racing do think that you were too injured to race more times then 1 in 9 for races you registered for? Again thank you for all the feedback - sounds like a toss-up so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Insurance by probability is never worth it, if it was, insurance wouldn't make any money and wouldn't exist.
Quote Reply

Prev Next