Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

quit/don't quit
Quote | Reply
Here's my don't quit experience from yesterday. I was entered in a sprint race, everything was going well, then about 20 minutes into a 20 mile bike leg, pssssst, my first race flat. After fixing it (getting encouraging remarks from passing bikers), I got going and, again, pssssst. My second race flat! No more Co2. Someone stopped and gave me a cartridge but I couldn't get the tire inflated. I ended up walking for an hour and a half back to T2. Along the way I picked up three fellow travelers. We all decided we would finish anyway, after all, we paid! Anyway, I ended up fourth from last, about an hour slower than last year's time. I was mad about the flats, but overall I was happy that I decided to run. It ended up being a nice day and I stopped and had a great conversation with a 71 year old man during the run. I hope I can do this when I get to his age.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: quit/don't quit [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took exactly the opposite action when I had my first flat in a race last weekend. It had been rainy and miserable leading up to race time, and I was SOOOOOO happy to actually be starting the race. Had a fantastic swim (exited in 3rd place in my wave) and was having a good bike, when BAM! pulled a spoke and flatted 3.5 miles from the bike finish.

I briefly thought about finishing the bike on my feet, and then doing the 5K, but decided not to, because I couldn't have finished anywhere near where I wanted, and well... what's the point? Immediately after I turned in my timing chip, I knew I'd made a mistake. The whole idea is to have fun, and to do something you enjoy. I like all three sports, and I'm so incredibly blessed to be able to do them. Yet, here I was, sulking because I'd had a flat, and wouldn't be able to PR (I was well on my way to a PR).

I say, "Never again." Unless I'm afraid of an injury, I'm going to keep going, and finish the race.

--> Steve

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: quit/don't quit [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flat tyres just turn a triathlon into a quadrathlon, the fourth element being the 'tyre fix TT'. Anyone who can't fix a flat in less than 5 minutes should devote some time each week to learning how to. Is losing 5 minutes really any excuse to quit a race? For 99% of racers, I think the answer is no. As for CO2 cartridges, trust in Allah but tie up your camel (carry a pump) and remember the 7 Ps - proper planning and preparation prevent p*ss poor performance.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply