Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

question on hamstring injury
Quote | Reply
well, that is what my question is, actually. Is it a hammy injury?

About 4-5 months ago on a night time hash (hash house harriers, not the drug) run I was running through the desert and jumping along some rocks. The next day the very top of my left hamstring (or the very bottom of my left cheek, depending on how you look at it) got pretty sore and tender.

Ever since then on runs where I push it or on hashes, where I routinely jump to and fro, I feel it come back the next day for a few days. Yesterday I went out for a nice hour long run at slightly faster than usual pace. Today I am really paying for it and it is a level above the usual tenderness. FWIW, the epicenter of uncomfort is about an inch lower and to the left of my sit bone.

So, is this a hamstring strain? Anyone have some suggestions to help it out?

The worst thing is that I have my first tri this weekend and while I don't think I will be too sore still I am bummed that I may have to taper completely off a bit too early.
Quote Reply
Re: question on hamstring injury [EphFord] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bend over in the old touch the toes routine with the legs straight. Does it hurt? Can you literally kind of dig your fingers on that side into the muscle-tendon junction at the very top of the hammy and locate the pain? If yes, it's likely the hammie. If no, it's probably piriformis. Cross your injured leg over the knee of the good one "guy style". Now bend forward at the waist. If you feel it there, it's probably the piriformis.

If it's the hammy, I had that problem in the winter and got over it with a bunch of stretching and some self massage. I think the root of my problem was tightness down in the belly of the hamstring, which was shortening the muscle and creating the pain up at the MT junction. Did all of the traditional hamstring stretches after exercise and rolled around a bit on the tp massage ball (www.tpmassageball.com). Got over it in 3-4 weeks.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: question on hamstring injury [EphFord] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It can be your hamstring but it seems higher than that. sounds like one of your rotators (gamelli, quadratus femoris or obturator) and maybe piriformis. Do you know how to strech those? Bringing your knee to opposite shoulder laying on your back? It can also be sciatica. Either from the piriformis putting pressure on the sciatic nerve or other muscle, or lower back related.. tough to say without seeing you. Do you have pain when sitting down too long? Don't forget to ice a lot.. be careful not to overstrech your hamstring, you may irritate the nerve more.. let me know if I can help more, that's what I do all day:) Have you tied active release?
Quote Reply
Re: question on hamstring injury [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I feel it a bit touching my toes, but it is more noticeable in the cross-legged stretch (which feels good to do, btw). I'll look into stretches for your latter guess (piriformis). It is obviously some shortfall of my body/routine/stretching regimen since it only rears its head after strenuous running.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: question on hamstring injury [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, based on what I have read I would kill to find someone into Active Release, but I live in a small town in NM so that's a bit out of the question (I have a nagging shoulder injury from a slip on ice while living in Iowa - that's when I knew I had to return to NM).

What other stretches (besides the should to knee stretch) do you suggest?

Also, I get extreme discomfort when sitting down too long, but I only do that and, therefore, notice it when in car rides over 2 hours.

When should you apply ice? Do I just sit on a bag or ice pad?

Thank you, Marisol

Ephraim
Quote Reply