Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

purchase Chain Wax in Chicago??
Quote | Reply
Does any one from Chicagoland know if any local shops carry any brands of meltable chain wax? I decided to do a drivetrain strip down last night after a noisy ride yesterday and thinking I would like to try waxing finally and of course I do not have any wax. I figured Michael's might sell paraffin but now I am watching videos that people say to mix in paraffin oil and some other powders etc. Yes I can order it online and wait a few days but I would really like to just drive over to a shop today and get it dealt with and back on the bike. Do any shops carry Molten Speed Wax or any other company wax?? I live downtown if that helps but willing to drive to the burbs if thats what it takes.
Last edited by: Gregman1: Jun 9, 19 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: purchase Chain Wax in Chicago?? [Gregman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just use paraffin.
Quote Reply
Re: purchase Chain Wax in Chicago?? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. Gulf Wax for less than $3.50 per pound from Walmart or many grocery stores.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jun 9, 19 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: purchase Chain Wax in Chicago?? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the Gulf wax are any of you putting the paraffin oil in the mix 1:1
In Reply To:
to soften the wax so it doesn’t flake off? What about Teflon powder to the mix?
Quote Reply
Re: purchase Chain Wax in Chicago?? [Gregman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gregman1 wrote:
With the Gulf wax are any of you putting the paraffin oil in the mix 1:1
In Reply To:
to soften the wax so it doesn’t flake off? What about Teflon powder to the mix?

I've never had Gulf Wax flake off. I do heat it to 220*F or so and pull the chain through a shop rag as I lift it out of the pot. When you do so you end up with quite a thin coating on the outside of the chain. It's the paraffin "inside" the links that does the lubrication not what's on the outside. I use to add Teflon powder but discontinued the practice. The paraffin alone provides the vast majority of benefit.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply