Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

psa - open water swimming and cramps
Quote | Reply
Swam a 5k open water race in a somewhat choppy ocean bay yesterday. Had that "on the verge of seizing up" feeling in my legs after 1k. Thought about calling it a day but decided to push on. At about 2.5 k, both legs completely and very suddenly seized up with incredibly painful cramps in the calves, hamstrings and quads. Tried to get my hand in the air, but every time I did I would start to go under. Raise hand, go under the chop, scull to the surface, repeat and hope someone noticed. Thought I had maybe 45-60 seconds left before I went under for good when a kayak got to me. Thank goodness I never panicked but for the first time in my life I was thinking that there was a very real possibility I was going to drown. If I had been alone I never would have made it.

I'm old now but I was a very good age group swimmer. I swam in college. I swam a sub-27 1.2 at a half ironman last weekend. I've read with detached amusement the many threads here over the years critical of people jumping into triathlons who were unprepared for the swim. I'm posting as a reminder that bad things can happen to good swimmers and every swimmer - good or bad - should take it seriously. Never swim alone. If you are feeling bad or uncomfortable, always err on the side of caution. If you cramp up on a bike ride or a run, it'll hurt but you're not going to die. You might if you are in the middle of a lake or ocean bay - and a cramp can strike a good swimmer just as easily as a bad. I was reminded of this the hard way yesterday!

Be safe.
Quote Reply
Re: psa - open water swimming and cramps [wbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good message... scary situation, glad you're OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe not for everyone, but this is why I bought a swimit. Peace of mind.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you made it, been there myself. Out of curiousity what was the water temp?
Quote Reply
Re: psa - open water swimming and cramps [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and were you wearing a wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happened to me two days ago. Just a calf cramp, but I did not expect it and had no way to deal with it. I swim on the border of full panic as it is. I was ok because of the wetsuit... I could just float while I worked it out (easier typed than done). But your post puts that into perspective. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: psa - open water swimming and cramps [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race folks said 66 - felt colder. Air temp was coolish too - low 70s. Definitely was a factor in cramping up - the legs just seem to start out very tensed up on account of the cold. No wetsuit, which is typical for an open water swim race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The magic number for me is around 61-2 degrees. Anything colder and I commonly get cramps (sometimes as you described; full lock-up) after about a mile of swimming. Due to the slightly above average ocean temps here in SoCal; I swam over 8 open water swims greater than 2 miles without issue leading up to IM. I went to IMWhistler and locked up 2 times on the back straight where water was a bit deeper/colder (around 60). Since it has happened so many times to me, I really do not get too panic (more pissed-off) as I go through a routine to get them to subside. Lot's of speculation of these types of cramps, but for me it is about water/core temp.
Quote Reply