Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

proper Pelvic Tilt prevalence & importance?
Quote | Reply
I read various places how critical the proper pelvic tilt is for injury prevention and fast running. But when I ask experienced runners their understanding & implementation of pt is generally sketchy. Some say if you have a strong core the pt issue is resolved. Others get into the many nuances of hip action never actually embracing pt as a running concept. Do most elites and elite coaches subscribe to a big emphasis on pt?

So how important/useful is the pt concept for running in age-group triathlons? It seems to really help me to visualize having a band around my lower waist that is pulling my pelvis into the proper tilt and down the road. I've only tried this for the past week but I can see that the other running form maxims seem to be built on top of it and I'm hoping that I can avoid injuries by being sufficiently disciplined to maintain the proper pt from start to finish during races and challenging runs.
Quote Reply
Re: proper Pelvic Tilt prevalence & importance? [lombardi3g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plevic tilt was never on my mind when I was younger (46 now). But my increased amount of sitting at work combined with my lessening focus on core exercises seems to have caught up with me. Lower back issues constantly along with an increased frequency of hip and knee pains.

All this to say that I do not know if proper pelvic tilt makes one faster, but it sure seems like it can help run more injury-free. (And yes, I know, that can lead to faster times indirectly due to consistency).

Like you, I do spot checks during runs and imagine being pulled by a string from the top of my shorts below the naval. There are also a few glute activators I do before runs to wake up the butt and help out with proper form.
Quote Reply
Re: proper Pelvic Tilt prevalence & importance? [lombardi3g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm far from an elite but . . . it's impossible to hold/maintain good pelvic tilt consciously while running. The instant you get tired you'll slump. The muscles involved have to be individually strong enough and active enough to contribute automatically to the motor system.

I find Pilates, at least 3x a week, works at getting to them.
Quote Reply