Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free)
Quote | Reply
my preferred cycling and brick workout location is about 40 minutes away and I preferred to keep away from getting fast food drive through after workouts and would rather just have a recovery drink I can drink in the car on the way home. sometimes I take a banana. Which is fine. But I would like to find a decent recovery drink I can leave in a cooler in the car. I would definitely prefer lactose and gluten free protein powders of some sort. they can be low lactose and low gluten as I don't have celiac disease but am sensitive to gluten so avoid it with in reason.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you simply lactose intolerant? Many of the protein powders include lactase enzyme to digest the lactose in your system
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orgain chocolate protein powder
banana
peanut butter
chia and hemp seeds
water/ice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tailwind Rebuild. Based off of rice protein, lactose/gluten free. Comes in chocolate and vanilla, both of which are delicious, and can mix with any liquid of your choosing.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [redlude97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am lactose intolerant. But not nearly as severe as some.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Tailwind Rebuild. Based off of rice protein, lactose/gluten free. Comes in chocolate and vanilla, both of which are delicious, and can mix with any liquid of your choosing.

That might be a good option. Tailwind is what I use for my nutrition on the bike. I’ll check out the rebuild.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
banana
peanut butter
chia and hemp seeds
water/ice

Thanks. I’ll check out that protein powder. There’s so many on amazon I didn’t know where to start
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you DM your address I can sending you some samples!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
If you DM your address I can sending you some samples!
Done. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best post workout recovery drink is a boiled egg...

-no sugar
-all 21 essential amino acids
-no gluten
-no lactose
-no flavors and colors
-no slime forming soya
-cheap
-environmentally friendly package
- more nutritionally dense than a calorie rich shake
-delicious with salt pepper and mayo
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Apr 17, 19 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And NO carbs. So pretty much shit, as a recovery food by itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
ilikepizza wrote:
banana
peanut butter
chia and hemp seeds
water/ice

Thanks. I’ll check out that protein powder. There’s so many on amazon I didn’t know where to start

Vega Sport plant based protein is really good. I use their recovery accelerator too.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you need a lot of carbs to recover
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [Last-offtheBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming this is a serious question...

"need" and "a lot" are loaded terms. But it is helpful to have some carbs immediately post workout for especially hard or long (or both) workouts. More so than the protein, actually.

Nothing wrong with an egg, but at 6g they don't really have all THAT much protein each. To each their own, but I don't want to eat 3 boiled eggs and a couple pieces of bread immediately post long run or ride.
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks ,am serious, i like and am into the eggs avocado combo after a session
Only try to get in carbs right after the more intense sessions, trying the healthy fat keto approach to see whats best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what about a lactose-free chocolate milk? That's what I love after a long workout

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: post workout recovery drink (lactose and gluten free) [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lactose free chocolate milk is also a good idea. Some good options I have now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For post-workout you want a fast digesting protein with high biological value. Additionally if there is a lactose sensitivity, I'd probably avoid casein as well (some feel they're allergic to lactose, but it's actually the casein).

This basically steers you toward a whey isolate or soy based protein.

For prior to bed or meal replacement you'd be looking at a slower digesting version of the above which would steer you to egg-white protein.

After that, taste and other ingredients are up to you and your sensibilities.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:

I was going to suggest similar, but wasn't sure about the gluten aspect. I try to avoid buying "sports nutrition products". I use regular milk and ovaltine. Its the best part of the long/hard ride or run! Yuummmmm!

Also, if you regularly consume complete proteins (animal based, or the right combo of plant based ones), there's no reason you can't use a plant based protein (soy, et al) simply for recovery. My daughter grew up on regular milk, but is now lactose intolerant. She likes the taste of chocolate soy milk (but not white soy "milk").

Again, I have no clue on the gluten side of these things...which is why I was hesitant to make suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
mickison wrote:

I was going to suggest similar, but wasn't sure about the gluten aspect. I try to avoid buying "sports nutrition products". I use regular milk and ovaltine. Its the best part of the long/hard ride or run! Yuummmmm!

Also, if you regularly consume complete proteins (animal based, or the right combo of plant based ones), there's no reason you can't use a plant based protein (soy, et al) simply for recovery. My daughter grew up on regular milk, but is now lactose intolerant. She likes the taste of chocolate soy milk (but not white soy "milk").

Again, I have no clue on the gluten side of these things...which is why I was hesitant to make suggestions.

most milk alternatives I are gluten free or at least have minimal gluten. I can have some gluten it just ends up being a cumulative thing where too much ends up triggering some symptoms. Same with lactose. I would be classified as having having IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) so over about the past 15 years or so through trial and error I work through what works and what doesn't. and even then I will have stuff is gluten and lactose free and nothing particularly weird in the ingredients and it will cause issues. But my issues aren't debilitating like some people with celiac or other GI issues. I've only had a few times where I have opted out of stuff as my system is off the rails. So I count myself lucky. I never had issues growing up but around age 30 started developing symptoms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
my preferred cycling and brick workout location is about 40 minutes away and I preferred to keep away from getting fast food drive through after workouts and would rather just have a recovery drink I can drink in the car on the way home. sometimes I take a banana. Which is fine. But I would like to find a decent recovery drink I can leave in a cooler in the car. I would definitely prefer lactose and gluten free protein powders of some sort. they can be low lactose and low gluten as I don't have celiac disease but am sensitive to gluten so avoid it with in reason.

Can or bottle of Coca-cola.

Great for hangovers too. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"To The Professor!"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you yogurt-tolerant? (Many lactose-intolerant people can handle yogurt). The Chobani drinks are really convenient.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m more concerned you are driving an hour and 20 min to do a workout? You can’t come up with a better approach to get the work in - unless I’m misunderstanding the situation....?

Last edited by: Bonesbrigade: Apr 18, 19 19:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Hammer Vegan Recoverite. Obviously lactose free (vegan) - they use Pea protein.

All Hammer products are gluten free:
https://www.hammernutrition.com/...cts-are-gluten-free/

Recoverite is my favorite.
Quote Reply

Prev Next