Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
popup campers and bikes.
Quote | Reply
delving into the collective wisdom of ST. Thoughts?

looks like my options are to

1) mount a roof rack on the camper,

2) mount a fork mount on the front of the trailer

3) put a hitch on the back of the trailer

4) use a ball-mount rack

I think 4 is the safest option? It would shelter the bikes and wouldn't put stress on the camper shell. However, it would require a new extended hitch (and probably longer safety chains). From what I can tell, 4 is probably the least expensive option too.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: popup campers and bikes. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
delving into the collective wisdom of ST. Thoughts?

looks like my options are to

1) mount a roof rack on the camper,

Generally not a good idea as it will cause roof leak issue regardless of how careful you are.

2) mount a fork mount on the front of the trailer

Never seen something like this but could present same issues.

3) put a hitch on the back of the trailer

Definitely not a good idea. People do it but it throws off the balance of the rig and many report creates a freaky speed wobble on the highway.

4) use a ball-mount rack

Yes, probably the safest of the options you presented. However, there's another option you haven't considered/presented.

Depending on your vehicle another option to consider is a front hitch. When we were heavy into the pop-up scene we had three kids and two adults and associated bikes. I considered all of the options above but didn't like them for various reasons. I ended up having a standard 2inch receiver hitch mounted on the front of our Suburban. Then I used a 5 bike rack to haul the bikes. Worked great and had zero issues with about 10,000 miles over the years with that setup. Of course, these were just cheap tool around campsite bikes. I'd never put one of my expensive bikes up there. Those got buckled into the third row passenger seat.
Quote Reply
Re: popup campers and bikes. [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's gonna be my tri-bike, my wife's mountain bike and "possibly" my mountain bike. Unfortunately there won't be room inside the minivan, unless I strap the dog to the roof.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
unless I strap the dog to the roof.

Don't be so extreme. There's always the kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a pop up camper for a few years and also looked at numerous options. Finally settled on something like this
It worked reasonably well. I didn't buy that brand, don't remember the brand, but the rack had just a bit of sway which I didn't like.
Quote Reply
Re: popup campers and bikes. [Aaronr312] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at that, but I don't think it will work with my configuration. I have to run the hitch in a "rise" configuration rather than a "dropped", so I don't think there will be sufficient clearance between the hitch and the bottom of the rack.

I'm considering one of these , which would double as a workstand while we're on the road..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 23, 18 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carlson-CC-275-Bike-Cargo/dp/B00KQPLJVI/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M37PF4TW0HT5TSWQJNQS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just to be clear, you're talking about tent trailer, right? not a pop up camper. because, if you want to talk pop up campers, you talk to monty and me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that picture representative of the #2 option? Doesn't look like anything is drilled into the roof of the pop-up but rather attached to the tongue of the trailer. Seems like a decent option without the risks of roof leakage.

Is a roof rack for the van off the table?

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gotcha. I have a 1up rack that has a slight rise to it so I could attach the pop up to the bottom of that and the rack to the top and I had plenty of clearance and and turning radius. My only complaint was despite all of it being straight 2 inch the rack would wiggle. I guess not a tight enough quality control on the hitch manufacturer.
Quote Reply
Re: popup campers and bikes. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
just to be clear, you're talking about tent trailer, right? not a pop up camper. because, if you want to talk pop up campers, you talk to monty and me.

forgive my naivete (I'm new at this), but what's the difference?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: popup campers and bikes. [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
Is that picture representative of the #2 option? Doesn't look like anything is drilled into the roof of the pop-up but rather attached to the tongue of the trailer. Seems like a decent option without the risks of roof leakage.

yeah, but still have to tie down the rear wheels with "something", and to set up the trailer that bar needs to come down. Plus they're more expensive than a hitch mount, and a hitch mount I could use even when not towing the trailer.

bike racks aren't recommended for the roof rack on my van. It's really just for light cargo.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look closer, they are tied down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I looked at a Taxa Cricket. Know anything about them? Matches my fondness for bay window Westys (or I might get a Vanagon Westy).
Quote Reply
Re: popup campers and bikes. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are straps there. I don't know that I trust how well the rear is tied down, based on where the attachmentpoints are relative to the fork clamps.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Never mind, I figured out what you were on about. I'd like to get one of those eventually as well. Or maybe a Winnebago.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Never mind, I figured out what you were on about. I'd like to get one of those eventually as well. Or maybe a Winnebago.

to me, a pop up camper is like a northstar (the one i have) that goes on the back of a pickup truck.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been in the market for a camper... I always immediately ruled out a pop up camper... I am concerned about the security, my bikes will be worth more than the camper and while I’m out riding my dogs will have to be locked up inside... I always just assumed that the screen windows immediately made the pop up camper not a option...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:

to me, a pop up camper is like a northstar (the one i have) that goes on the back of a pickup truck.

maybe that's a regional difference then? that's a camper truck. it can be a pop-up, or a camper van can be a pop-up (like a westfalia). or a trailer can be a popup. At least thats how I've always understood it. But then, like I say, I'm new at this and usually wrong.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: popup campers and bikes. [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
I’ve been in the market for a camper... I always immediately ruled out a pop up camper... I am concerned about the security, my bikes will be worth more than the camper and while I’m out riding my dogs will have to be locked up inside... I always just assumed that the screen windows immediately made the pop up camper not a option...

My working assumption is that any camper is going to be easy for a potential thief to break into. I've never had anything stolen from a tent (or campsite, for that matter) while camping before, and nothing of value gets left inside the tent (or camper). Valuables get locked out of sight inside my van.

We wanted the pop-up because anything bigger would be harder for the vehicle to tow. Popup tows pretty nicely behind the minivan.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 23, 18 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: popup campers and bikes. [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pop up campers Dan and I have are no less safe than a full blown motorhome. It has glass windows with screens when down to give your animals some air, and probably less of a target than a big motorhome. Looks like nothing could be in there when down, and when up, you are there, so no big deal..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Broken Leg Guy wrote:

yeah, but still have to tie down the rear wheels with "something", and to set up the trailer that bar needs to come down. Plus they're more expensive than a hitch mount, and a hitch mount I could use even when not towing the trailer.

bike racks aren't recommended for the roof rack on my van. It's really just for light cargo.

Yeah, kind of a bad picture. Doesn't look that secure.

I had a rack system on a Toyota Sienna that worked great. I would think bikes would be considered light cargo.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: popup campers and bikes. [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a grand caravan with a built in rack system. I can't remember where (maybe yakima or thule's site?), but I did read (after buying of course) that my rack system was not compatible with bike mounts. I'd guess because of the torque / forces from sidewinds...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that if you are handy, you could make a rack system for that roof. You would have to reinforce it inside and outside with long pieces of wood or steel, and then use lots of caulk to seal up every single area where you cut a hole. I would try and go with some sort that just locked down one wheel, and then figured out how to secure the back wheel off the roof. I mean you are never driving with bikes on and the camper up anyway, so maybe some extension from the tongue up or other spot where you are not drilling into fiberglass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually kept bikes inside but it was nice to have the roof rack available when a full load. Bummer it's not an option for you.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply

Prev Next