Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

polar 710i question
Quote | Reply
How useful are the fitness index, predicted max HR, vo2max features of the watch? Are they accurate?

Kim
Quote Reply
Re: polar 710i question [dockimpoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this lonely post, so figured I'd respond. I've been using my 710 since last sept. I have played with the features you list a couple times, just to see. web data suggests that they are reasonably accurate, though probably not accurate enough to really gauge your progress.

a friend and I both found that it predected the Max HR conservatively from data we've actually seen (I've seen 199 during an early season hard interval set, but I think my predicted was 192). our supposition was that they were going a bit low to avoid and legal problems of people hurting themselves trying to get to 95%, or something.

I've done the vo2max thing a couple times and gotten similar results each time, so the variance didn't seem to bad.

I'm not sure how useful these features are. I gauge my fitness more from benchmark workouts, or group training. otherwise, we ought to just show up to races and compare vo2max's. :)

all that said, I love my 710 and the only way you'd get me to part with it is with a nice 720. but that's based on the ExeSet and altimeter features. and getting rid or my other bike computer. what's that quote about perfection not coming from adding things but from taking them away. I feel my bike is more perfect by having less stuff on it. but that's just me.
Quote Reply
Re: polar 710i question [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the reply! do you know how they do the estimates, though? any websites i can check out?

Kim
Quote Reply
Re: polar 710i question [dockimpoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe I've seen the formulas that polar uses on the polar support site. navigation through their web is horrible, I often can't find things twice. I have had pretty good support through their email alias, so you could try that too.

somewhere on this board is a link to an australian chat board that discusses all kinds of polar related topics. I remember the work performance is in the link and it's in the .au domain.
Quote Reply
Re: polar 710i question [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the puppy:

http://www.pursuit-performance.com.au/polar/index.html

go into the forum link.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply