Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

pads for rim brakes - shimano?
Quote | Reply
I am replacing my rim brake pads -

thinking of getting shimno 105 pads - is there an advantage to going to ultegra/dura ace? is there another brake pad manufacturer that surpasses?
Quote Reply
Re: pads for rim brakes - shimano? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The kool stop salmon pads are great. They basically make 105 brakes perform as well/better than DA.

I upgrade all my bikes (Ultegra) to these, and they also help make crappy tri bike centerpull brakes reasonable.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: pads for rim brakes - shimano? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
The kool stop salmon pads are great. They basically make 105 brakes perform as well/better than DA.

I upgrade all my bikes (Ultegra) to these, and they also help make crappy tri bike centerpull brakes reasonable.

The one thing i don’t like about kool stops is that weird lip they have, it makes the brakes feel a little spongy. I have salmons on my bike now. I haven’t tried Swiss stops yet, but those are probably my next ones once these are worn out.

There’s really no difference in braking performance between and of the shimano brakes that I’ve been able to tell, if you’re running the same pads. DA is just a little lighter and nicer finished, that’s all.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never heard of Shimano 105 brake pads.

Where did you see them?
Quote Reply
Re: pads for rim brakes - shimano? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's many, but are these succeeded versions?

https://www.rosebikes.nl/...product_shape=zilver
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
thinking of getting shimno 105 pads - is there an advantage to going to ultegra/dura ace?
What do you mean? All of Shimano's road caliper brakes at the 105 level and above use R55C4 pads.
Quote Reply
Re: pads for rim brakes - shimano? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They now make a non-lip version: https://www.performancebike.com/...xEAQYHCABEgKuuvD_BwE

The lip was to clean water/dirt from the rim (salmon was a wet weather compound). Agree, it was a bit wonky.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: pads for rim brakes - shimano? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's good to know that for shimano the rubber is the same and you are chosing the finish of the shoe...thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

Unless the pad holders need replacing, just get the inserts. Makes swapping pads a 2 minute job

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: pads for rim brakes - shimano? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
They now make a non-lip version: https://www.performancebike.com/...xEAQYHCABEgKuuvD_BwE

The lip was to clean water/dirt from the rim (salmon was a wet weather compound). Agree, it was a bit wonky.

I didn’t realize that, thanks!

The lip was also good for properly setting the amount of toe-in. But overall, it really isn’t all that great.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: pads for rim brakes - shimano? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this case the screws are rusty from riding winter and on snowy roads so then will need new shoes too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that’s the case, you can get kool stops with a pad holder.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

Those are Shimano 105 brake shoes with Shimano R55C4 brake pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
In this case the screws are rusty from riding winter and on snowy roads so then will need new shoes too

When I've bought the replacement Shimano 'cartridge' / 'insert' pads, they came with the screws
(I just had to get the rusty / stuck old ones out - the Hex socket sometimes rounds out - so then I've used a pair of Mole Grips to grab the screw and undo it. Chewing it a bit didn't matter with new screws provided with the new pad inserts.
Quote Reply