Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
p3x talk me out of it
Quote | Reply
I have a Shiv the old one. I love the front hydration, basically for ironman i run water bottles bta, and fill the fuel thig in the frame, so i have the quivalant of two water bottles in front of me. with a p3x I could put one on the frame, and do a bta and have the same type of setup. I don't know any other bike that can do that without a areo penalty, besides ventum.

+ hydration is setup well
+ tons of storage
+ i think easier to charge my di2
+ fast bike
+ disc brake
+ can tilt the aero bars up.
+ new bike

- kinda ugly
Quote Reply
Re: p3x talk me out of it [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
I have a Shiv the old one. I love the front hydration, basically for ironman i run water bottles bta, and fill the fuel thig in the frame, so i have the quivalant of two water bottles in front of me. with a p3x I could put one on the frame, and do a bta and have the same type of setup. I don't know any other bike that can do that without a areo penalty, besides ventum.

+ tons of storage
+ fast bike
+ disc brake
+ new bike

- kinda ugly

Ok, I'll give it a shot...

+ hydration is setup well (you can set up endless hydration alternatives on essentially any tri bike with after-market solutions)
+ tons of storage (you can buy countless aftermarket storage options and place them on various parts of the bike for far less than the price tag of a P3x and if they get ruied, they are easily and cheaply replacebable)
+ i think easier to charge my di2 (I've never had di2 so I can't comment)
+ fast bike (my old P2 is fast with the set up I have and I bet very close to this bike)
+ can tilt the aero bars up (this is virtually all modern aerobars).
+ new bike

- kinda ugly
- disc brake
- price
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 28, 19 14:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not really gaining much. How old is the SHIV?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: p3x talk me out of it [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My shiv is actually setup pretty nice, tririg , di2, good wheels, I am kinda asking this for a friend that is going to buy one right now, and i keep thinking i may buy one in a year or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

Wrong

To OP
If you've got the money to afford one, go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you need N+1? Do it? Are you at S -1? Who cares? Just do it!

Also P3X finally gains user replaceable derailleur hangers

Here's a reason: P5X with etap plus bike bag on sale https://www.racycles.com/...-p5-xetap-bike-14459
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Aug 28, 19 15:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re the Joe DiMaggio of wrong posts...

TheStroBro wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Aug 28, 19 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: p3x talk me out of it [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you like about the p3x?

The felt is the other option i can get a HOOK UP on both, but the felt i would go bta, and then behind the seat for the other bottle. I like the p3x more for that reason alone. I really need a N+1 although i just bought a gravel bike haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had/have a P5x. Storage is endless. Bottle options are good and Cervelo says the bike was designed around round water bottles with no/minamal aero penalty. If you have a shiv why arent you considering the new shiv?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, I cannot. I have a tricked up IA that I love. But, I would by the P3x in a second if I were shopping now. I think that bike is freakin' gorgeous.

+ P3x hydration is solid
+ P3x has storage out the butt
+ I have the integrated Junction A, and it is the bomb
+ Yeah, the P3x is fast
+ Yes to the disc brakes
+ Stock cockpit is fast and versatile
+ New is good
+ Hot looking
Quote Reply
Re: p3x talk me out of it [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
You’re the Joe DiMaggio of wrong posts...

TheStroBro wrote:

Does that make you shoeless joe of drafting?

The P3x is an amazing bike. But, that's a heavy investment. A Shiv with integrated hydration in the downtube fuel cell gives you a lot.

If the P5x or P3x had an in frame hydration reservoir I'd have jumped all over the P5x when I bought my current bike. Oh well.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Aug 29, 19 15:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:

+ tons of storage
+ fast bike
+ disc brake
+ new bike

- kinda ugly
Talk you out of it? Why would you buy a bike you think is 'kinda ugly' especially at that kind of price? You could buy almost any other bike at that price. There is no better feeling than walking into your garage and becoming at least semi erect just by looking at your bike and you just want to ride it for that reason alone...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just too easy. You should buy the P5X.
Quote Reply
Re: p3x talk me out of it [spectrum5825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spectrum5825 wrote:
I had/have a P5x. Storage is endless. Bottle options are good and Cervelo says the bike was designed around round water bottles with no/minamal aero penalty. If you have a shiv why arent you considering the new shiv?

i love/hate the new shiv. for ironmans I think they really got it wrong. the hydration setup is good until you need more water, then yu are the same as a felt or any other bike. one bta and one behind the seat.
But my biggest problem with Shiv is I need a XL and they don't offer one.
Quote Reply
Re: p3x talk me out of it [spectrum5825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be in the market for a new bike next year, can you use the p5/3x bikes on a trainer? I actually do most of my training on zwift. Love the look of these bikes and would be an upgrade from my current ride.

edit - ignore me, just found a thread on this very topic!
Last edited by: Poldarn: Aug 29, 19 5:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't talk you out of it....the more I see the bike the more I like it. In the beginning I thought it was ugly now I really love it. If you can buy it, just do it but if you think its 'kinda ugly' I would advise as the other poster ...'why buy it?'. Otherwise its really a well thought out bike IMHO. So stop talking about it and just get (says a Felt IA-10 owner)....or not. :)

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The P3x has ugly paint and no customization available. Aesthetically you look like every other P3x
Quote Reply
Re: p3x talk me out of it [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s ugly as fuck. Well, I said it. I rather spend my money on Canyon or Trek. It’s such an eye sore and I don’t understand people spend a ton of money to ride such an ugly ass bike. This is a bike version of butter face.
Quote Reply
Re: p3x talk me out of it [Poldarn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. You need a thru axle adapter for your KICKR but structurally it's fine.

Eric

Poldarn wrote:
I may be in the market for a new bike next year, can you use the p5/3x bikes on a trainer? I actually do most of my training on zwift. Love the look of these bikes and would be an upgrade from my current ride.

edit - ignore me, just found a thread on this very topic!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
* In real world racing conditions, hands-down Lotus-inspired frames/ bikes (Ventum One, Tri Rig Omni) are faster than bikes with down tubes due to improved side force aerodynamics and handling. Same reason a deep dish front wheel is faster in the wind tunnel than a shallower fairing; but deep dish front is often slower outside if they're winds above a few km/ per hour. Unless it's a dead calm day, with virtually no wind, the lotus-inspired frame will always travel faster over a given distance than the most aero downtime frame. And you will exert more energy on micro-corrections with the down tube frame. And no I can't show you the data that unequivocally. proves this as it's been classified by DARPA. Nick from Tri Rig may share this data though...

* Even in an indoor closed environment, the fastest bicycle ever to ride the hour and set the current record @ 56.375 is the Lotus 110. Nuff said. Yeah it was in the superman position, but the Lotus frames regardless of the positions had the fastest times.

* Weight. The only P5X I saw on course at Tremblant 2 weeks ago was on the hilly Duplessis section. And I was pedaling up hill past the P5X. And I'm NOT a great hill climber. Fact: many Cervelo-sponsored pros have chosen the the regular P5 disc on even moderately hilly courses over the P5X or P3X. I wonder how many pros we'll see riding a P5X or P3X at Ironman 70.3 worlds in Nice?? My guess is zero.

* So unless your riding a flat course, with no wind, I wouldn't get a P5X or P3X. But then again, if you're in M45-49 AG, please do buy one :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P3 Disc coming out in December if you want to wait and look at that one...???
Quote Reply
Re: p3x talk me out of it [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought so too when it first came out. It has grown on me...which is rare because I am pretty black and white when it comes to bikes. I would repaint it though...tired of blacj and red bikes. My fear is the weight...I have an IA -10 and it's a tank....I will definitely buy soemthing lighter in the future!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: p3x talk me out of it [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
* Weight. The only P5X I saw on course at Tremblant 2 weeks ago was on the hilly Duplessis section. And I was pedaling up hill past the P5X. And I'm NOT a great hill climber. Fact: many Cervelo-sponsored pros have chosen the the regular P5 disc on even moderately hilly courses over the P5X or P3X. I wonder how many pros we'll see riding a P5X or P3X at Ironman 70.3 worlds in Nice?? My guess is zero.

Fair criticism. I also saw at least 1 or 2 fellows at Tremblant who should not have been riding a p5x, so Im sure you passed them. But I do struggle a bit up hill but usually gain some back downhill as the p5x excels there. It isn't a super great climbing bike, but certainly not the worst. Also your milage may vary based on how strong of a rider you are. I have better bike splits on flat to rolling courses than the hillier ones if that helps at all. The p3x is marginally lighter...I did go see one in person and honestly couldn't tell the difference in weight.
Quote Reply
Re: p3x talk me out of it [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
P3 Disc coming out in December if you want to wait and look at that one...???

I was super excited for the p5 disc I was sure it would have a wide downtube to hide the water bottle and be setup for tilted bars and good storage... NOPE. sucks, and to make it worse it stops at large too. but I will hope!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
But my biggest problem with Shiv is I need a XL and they don't offer one.

It is true there is no XL...but the fit range is actually larger than the old bike. Have you seen where your stack and reach fall relative to the new geometry? What are your #s?
Last edited by: GatorRacer: Aug 29, 19 14:11
Quote Reply

Prev Next