Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

p3 vs P2K welds: Gerard?
Quote | Reply
Gerard, I asked this a week or so ago, and I think you weren't on this site, so here goes again... At the LBS, I compared a P3 and P2K side by side...the P3 welds on the seat stay next to the rear dropout are much more pronounced than those on the P2K. It's almost as if the P2K had been smoothed carefully and the P3 hadn't been touched. The LBS didn't know why. Was this just a sample difference or is that the way they all are?

By the way, I loved the paint job on the P2K, that dark blue looked very well done!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: p3 vs P2K welds: Gerard? [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The answer is more or less in your question, the only area where you'll see a difference in the welds is the seattube-seatstay area, which is exactly where the two frames differ. When you look at that joint on the P3, that is arguably the most complex joint on any welded bike out there. A lot of attention is put at getting the proper weld penetration for strength, which is also why it is a double pass weld. The double pass also smoothes it out visually, but the weld will never look as beatiful as a weld of a simple P2K seatstay attached to a simple P2K seattube.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Thanks for your answer! NM [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply