Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

outer banks open water swimming spots?
Quote | Reply
does anyone have recommendations of where to do open water swimming while in the other banks, NC area? thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: outer banks open water swimming spots? [m_dc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The outer banks is a lonnnng strip of land. What town are you staying in?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: outer banks open water swimming spots? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hatteras. planning on spending time between there and nag's head-ish area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nags head and Hatteras and pretty much any of the many other beach towns in between habe the obvious ocean open water swims available at any beach. Its been at least 20 years since I've been to OBX so I have no idea about accessibility to the sound...beach access is everywhere in OBX (well at least it was in the 90s) so just look up a public beach, park, and swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a few swims from the Haulover day use area. Nice spot with plenty of parking. Only issue with sound swimming is you have to get fairly far from the shoreline for it to be deep enough that you're not dragging your hands through the mud.

Highly recommend swimming sound over ocean. Learned the hard way (everyone was okay) that ocean tides in that area are no joke.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Careful oceanside of the strip. I nearly drowned 25 years ago from rip tide in hatteras
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I've done a few swims from the Haulover day use area. Nice spot with plenty of parking. Only issue with sound swimming is you have to get fairly far from the shoreline for it to be deep enough that you're not dragging your hands through the mud.

Highly recommend swimming sound over ocean. Learned the hard way (everyone was okay) that ocean tides in that area are no joke.

I will second this. There are also similar day-use spots in Avon ( aka Canadian Hole- but watch out for kiteboarders/windsurfers) and Salvo. The sound is nice and safe, you can normally stand up unless you go way out. If you are down in the town of Hatteras just look for any spot where you can jump in the sound and head out for deeper water, don't overthink it.

Ocean swimming is fun, but cold this time of year and always lots of wildlife- i.e., stingrays, sharks etc!

Lunch tip-head up to Real Watersports in Waves where you will find the Waterman's Grill, overlooking the sound and they have the best food and some local brews on tap- get the seared tuna app and thank me later.
Quote Reply