Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
orbea bikes????
Quote | Reply
I have been looking into getting a new bike and I keep getting drawn to the Orbea Ordu. Does anyone have one or can anyone offer some opinions
Quote Reply
Re: orbea bikes???? [551017] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got an Ordu and like it a lot. I think the criticism that you'll here is that you can't get as steep as say you can with a cervelo.

http://bigisland-will.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: orbea bikes???? [will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see that you can get up to 76 deg but I am sure if you move the seat up on the rails you can get 78 or so right? How is the ride quality? I ride a titan flex now so I am curious how well it will take road shock ect. Is it well built?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO I think you can get plenty steep enough doing what you mentioned and guys like Alexander can go plenty fast on it. Based upon the races that I have done from Oly to IM there are too many people riding steep positions who can't seem to stay areo for the duration of the race.

I think it's a great ride,very responsive and the quality is top notch. I really like Cervelo's as well, but have to admit that I tend to buy the opposite of what everyone is buying.

http://bigisland-will.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to bear in mind is that they hold their value second hand far less well than Cervelo's say. Which is bad if you're buying new, but great if you can pick one up second hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cant talk about the ordu, but Orbea as a company isgreat. I've had an orca for 2 years as my roadie and I am very happy.

Also, my roomate has an onix and has no complaints either.

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's got fat tubes. If someone offered me the choice to race on a P2 sl with 105 or an Ordu with Dura Ace, hands down to the P2k for me.
Quote Reply
Re: orbea bikes???? [AMC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got an Opal roadie: super on hills, esp descents, and it chews up the bumps. My other ride is a P2SL, it's noticeably harsher on lousy roads, "shares" a lot more of the bumps with me than the Opal does. (But it's faster.)

Ed
Lovely Oakland, CA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reason for getting rid of the Titanflex?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owned an Ordu when it was first released (black/blue color combo)

Beautiful bike in every aspect. the top tube slopes down towards the front ever so slightly which was no issue. I don't ride overly steep...right around 76 deg and the forward post was just fine.

found it stiff through the bottom bracket, yet supple enough that a TON of road shock was soaked up.

depending on the spec it is great value...if money is an issue you should really take a serious look at the Ora.

certainly not a me-too bike which ties directly to the post about not having great re-sale....but the re-sale is actually pretty good. there is a strong band of orbea faithful out there and a lifetime warranty on the frame is a beautiful thing.

I regret selling mine, however the budget allows for only one high end tri bike in the stable at any given time.

would not think twice about getting another, except for the fact that I love my six 13 slice

good luck...
Quote Reply
Re: orbea bikes???? [switchtotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No specific reason besides I want a change. I love the titan flex and have riden it for many years and now it is time to try something else. Are you interested in purchasing it?? I also may try to sell my road bike as well. That is a trek 2300.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I just got one and have been setting it up. Just curious. I can definitely tell a difference in the comfort of the bike compared to my road bike and after the first ride, and moving the beam in a little, there is little to no bounce as I pedal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Ordu and LOVE IT. Just got it this past winter. I had a Cervelo P3SL but I just could not dial in to the right fit so I sold it and went with Orbea. I was actually looking at the Ora but I was able to get the funds to go with the Ordu.

Dont regret it, love the bike, love the weight, love the stiffness. I'll try and post a pic.

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Re: orbea bikes???? [TriMatt18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike. I am leaning to the ordu as well. I have a set of zipps allready what is the biggest difference from the ordu and ora beside the wheel set. I read on the website they use different carbon on the frame. What did you notice while looking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, I hope you don't leave that bike laying on the heating register. When I lived in Scotland that's what I had heating my house. Hot water running through a register. Might as well of warmed stones in the oven and layed around the house. F**king sucked as for heating. So maybe it really doesn't matter to leave it laying on the register? Doesn't heat anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: orbea bikes???? [switchtotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I road an opal and it was awsome, I just read that orbea used to make handguns way back in the day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how did your seatpost get bent?

:)

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife rides an Ordu now and her previous bike was an aluminum P2K. This is not an entirely fair comparison due to the difference of frame materials, but she loves her Ordu. I ride an Opal on the road and am completely satisfied. For a bigger guy, 6'3 and 185lbs., the reinforced bottom bracket is just what the doctor ordered.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: orbea bikes???? [InsideTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ive been looking around my LBSs at some orbeas, I was thinking of getting an opal, maybe an orca but at one shop, I found a maybe 2003 Iban Mayo replica aluminum, its orange and blue. And its cheap. have any of you had any experience with that bike?? I think its called a starship or something like that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually spoke to an orbea rep about the ora compared to the ordu. He said the weight on the ora is about 145 grams heavier and it is entirely painted, no carbon weave. As for the carbon types, the ordu is a bit stiffer. He said that he recomends the ora to roadies who will use it for TT's but put the majority of their miles on a road bike and the ordu for triathletes bc they put more mile on a TT bike bc most use it exclusively once th eseason begins. Everything else is the same, geometry, build kits, and even wheels. You can customize pretty much everything about the bike through Orbea. Good luck shopping. PM me f you want some Orbea reps in the NY area.

Matt
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of doing the ora. It seems the 2 big differences is the wheels and weight. I have a set of zipp 606 and the weight is not worth the big $ difference. I think that may be the best buy for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I've ridden them both and they have a VERY little difference in stiffness IMO. And the weight? I can't tell at all, some of the more experienced cyclists might be able to tell the difference between the two, but not me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: orbea bikes???? [IRONLOBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starship can be used to make sub 1kg aluminium frames, the manufacturers usually don't pretend that they are everyday bikes - more hillclimb oriented ie the Alpe d'huez TT.

I would be inclined to stick to one of the current models that is a bit sturdier if you intend to use the bike a bit. The Onix is a nice frame by all accounts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my new Ordu for about 3 weeks now, and I really can't say enough great things about it. I LOVE it. It's responsive. It accelerates well. The ride is smooth. And have I mentioned I LOVE it.

If you're concerned about the Zipps coming standard with the Ordu, I think you can buy the frame by itself. (Bicycling magazine had a price of $2900 listed for the Ordu frame vs. $2100 for the Ora a few months ago.) Also, as another post mentioned, Orbea has a "build your own" option where you can spec out the bike as you choose.

Have fun picking out your new bike.

- Cheryl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The zipps dont come "standard" unless you want them too. I actually ordered my Ordu with Shimano R550's. Major cheapo training wheels, but they are basically bombproof. I had the 808's already. I saved big bucks by doing this and it actually put the Ordu into my budget. When I ordered the bike, I got it with Ultegra components and swapped them with the Dura Ace that was on my road bike (all orbea tt bikes come with DA shifters) Since I ride the tri bike more, and race with it, I wanted it to have DA. I also ordered it with the cheap wheels and the cheapest saddle they had since I had a saddle that I was going to use already.

Matt
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply

Prev Next