Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

optygen
Quote | Reply
is anybody using this stuff. I mentioned this post a couple months ago, but nobody seemed to answer. They make some pretty big claims, but I don't know if they can back it up. Its not cheap at over $20 a bottle. Info on www.firstendurance.com

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: optygen [P2kman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob,
I guess that "over $20 a bottle" could be worth a try, but it's actually $49.95 a bottle (I know, 50 is more than 20). So $600 for a year's worth of the stuff. It's up there with PCs, PowerTap, a disc, a weekend training camp ... in terms of price. I'd be curious to hear some "first hand" testimonials, though.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never used it... but sounds simular to Endurox (except for the mushroom part of the contents).

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: optygen [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the mushrooms make you hallucinate that you are going faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I have been using Optygen for almost a year now, and have had a very positive response to it. In the interest of full disclosure, I am sponsored by the manufacturer - so I can't comment on the price :0) other than to say that I would buy the product at retail if I had to...

I really hate to offer purely subjective/anecdotal data in response to a question like this, but I will say that the Optygen regimen has appeared to offer a benefit to me very much as advertised; notably my recovery from hard efforts, both in training and during a race is much improved. In training, I am able to train harder and longer before I exhibit symptoms of fatigue (on the immediate scale) or overtraining (on the macro-scale), and during a race, I appear able to more quickly recover from Z4 & 5 efforts than before the supplementation. I have pretty comprehensive training and HR logs from the last several years, and they definately support these conclusions.

I think there are a couple of things that really point to First Endurance (the manufacturer of Optygen) as a quality company: they guarantee the purity of the product (no false positives!) they guarantee all the ingredients are "legal," and they print references to clinical studies - right on the bottle - to support all the claims they make. How many other companies do these things?

As an aside, there are a LOT of pro cyclists using Optygen these days, both on the domestic scene and abroad (Rodriguez and Leipheimer, Navigators team...) and some notable Tri-folk are starting to use it (Larsen for one.) Generally, this doesn't mean a lot, given sponsorship and such, but almost all the domestic road pros that I know are using either Optygen or Athletes Octane (which is a very similar product) and most are paying for them. In a couple of years, my guess is that products like these will be a ubiquitous part of an athlete's supplement regimen.

[The "mushrooms" (Rhodiola) in Optygen actually have a pretty fair base of support in clinical trials - I was looking for the link to an abstract I read, but couldn't get it to work: I will post it if I can get it to go through.]

MH - 35+ and a cat 1 on the road, I need all the help I can get.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Last edited by: fredly: Jun 1, 03 22:04
Quote Reply