Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

open water swimming around Sacramento
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions? I've done a swim at Folsom lake a couple of years ago at an event sponsored by a now-closed multisport shop. I've also swam in Lake Natoma as part of Folsom triathlon. Outside of planned events, not sure where the best places are to head out to work on open water techniques.

Anyone familiar with the area have suggestions?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: open water swimming around Sacramento [Vapor Trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've swam at Folsom and Natomas - normal water years I felt pretty safe swimming the buoy lines at the Folsom beaches. Right now, there's basically no boats on the lake due to water levels. Folsom water levels look pretty bleak for the summer, and for my last swim we ended up driving down the sand into small cove below Granite Beach.

Boost Swimming (precovid) had weekly open water workouts at primarily at Folsom Lake pre-COVID. You could purchase a season pass with a coach leading the workout/paddle boarding providing safety.

Good group, I'd highly recommend Boost workouts if they resume, but I haven't heard yet if/when they will be picking back up.
Last edited by: gbtrinride: Apr 21, 21 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: open water swimming around Sacramento [gbtrinride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you checked to see if you can swim in lake natoma?

Just checked and you can swim in natoma on the state park side not sac state aquatic center.
Last edited by: cjb3: Apr 21, 21 12:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do most of my open water swimming in Lake Natoma since it's usually low traffic and the water is calm almost all the time. Parking at the Nimbus Flat State Recreation area

Negro bar a little further up is also good if Nimbus is busy with Kayaks and rowing events on weekends

Water temp measured from the shore @ 60 F last week for both

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Re: open water swimming around Sacramento [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info. Nimbus Flat is where I swam at the Folsom triathlon. Water was great there. Didn't know if it was open to public swimming routinely. Sounds like a good place to try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll find people swimming OW at Lake Natoma almost year round (as others have said, get a state parks pass and park at Nimbus Flat). I was out there on Monday, and the water is "refreshing" but certainly swimmable if the air temperature is in the high 70s or above. The rowing buoys are up now, so sighting is super easy. Natoma is actually the best place to swim OW around Sacramento. Folsom Lake gets too much boat traffic, not to mention, there's very little water in it now, so underwater obstacles are an issue (and it's a long walk to the water).
Quote Reply
Re: open water swimming around Sacramento [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen -- terrific insight, thanks! Nimbus Flats it is.
Quote Reply