Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

open water practice in Galveston
Quote | Reply
so I am going to Galveston next weekend.
I have been looking around for good options to do open water swim practice, but still not sure what the best options are.

some sights warn about strong rip-tides on the gulf side that make it dangerous.

when I was there two years ago, I remember that by noon the waves were such that open water swimming on that side would be so choppy as to not really be helpful. and you can't seem to swim legally on the more protected side.

I have been wondering if very early in the morning the waves on the gulf-side will be more manageable?

still wonder if anyone has any ideas as to the best place to do open water swims on the island?

and as an aside, Ironman really should schedule a practice swim for the event on Saturday with the entry fees they charge!

jjk
http://enduranceanimal.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: open water practice in Galveston [jjk/md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is legal but some folks will park at hooters and jump in the little body of water just to the east of 61st street (I've never done this myself so can't comment on it).

You could also drive over to the Texas City dike and jump in there, it's well protected from the standard south wind.

Another option is to drive up to Twin Lakes RV park on 6. It's about 55 min from moody gardens according to google.
Quote Reply
Re: open water practice in Galveston [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks.
these are very helpful tips.
hooters sounds interesting.

jjk
http://enduranceanimal.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Texas City dike is indeed a good option, but a few things to be aware of. Stay near the shore line because it's also a popular fishing spot, so boaters will be out and about. But not too close to shore if there are people fishing there. Otherwise they might get upset that you're scaring the fish away and cast at you.

Might also want to wear a bright swim cap and orange safety float, if you have one. The tankers can generate big waves, even though they're a long distance away. Not a big deal, but just don't be surprised to see a random set of 2-3 foot swells coming through.

I would also wear booties. There's a lot of sharp oyster shell and fishing junk (hooks, etc.) in the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, is there a current that we will be swimming against/with? I see the area on the map and notice the bay opens up to the east of where we swim. So I wonder if the current goes east to west toward 61st street.
Quote Reply
Re: open water practice in Galveston [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t remember any meaningful current last year, just the massive chop from 25mph wind.

If there is any current it will be due to rising or falling tide, ie water going into/out of offats bayou and on a larger scale Galveston bay. So could be in either direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And last question...water temp. Assuming it might be borderline wetsuit legal? I have a sleeved, and sleeveless wetsuit, along with a sleeveless swimskin.
Quote Reply
Re: open water practice in Galveston [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring everything. I would anticipate wetsuit legal though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Bring everything. I would anticipate wetsuit legal though.

im hoping wetsuit legal!! this noob needs all the help he can get!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t recommend jumping in at Hooters. There used to be a set of stairs but once Hooters moved in they took the stairs out. The only way to exit would be to climb out via the rocks on 61st street. Try the boat landing on the North West side of 61st Street - Joe and Lee Jamail Park. A short swim under the overpass and you are in the protected area .
Quote Reply
Re: open water practice in Galveston [mikealva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for this!
Quote Reply
Re: open water practice in Galveston [jjk/md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake 288 in Pearland is a dedicated open water swim lake......Twin Lakes works too.
Quote Reply