Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

olympics cancelled?
Quote | Reply
I guess many of you have been following the media. Few days ago, IOC and the Tokyo organizing comitee assured that the olympics would be held in july as scheduled. The situation right now is kind of ugly. They do not confirm anything now, which is an intelligent decission. Now I wonder about this break in everyone's preparation...is this the best scenario to celebrate the olys even we overcome the pandemia?
I think of the triathletes right now... how can they swim if all the pools are closed? In Italy, you cannot even go outside except for shopping and buying medicines..in Spain the measures are not that tough, by now.... but all the national elite sports centres are shutted down, and this will go on for one month at least... I am just guessing how pros are training...guessing they might be go in the sander's way. Considering the cancellartion of every event so far, criteria to enter for tokyo affecting most of the countries selection... what do you think about this?

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: olympics cancelled? [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put this idea out a couple days ago - postpone the Olympics until 2021. I think that would be possible, but I'm not sure about qualifications for various sports and how that would work. I guess this is a completely new situation that we are currently in, and all options need to be considered.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: olympics cancelled? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Distributed Olympics. Grassroots events in local sandlots.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Highly doubt it will happen this summer. But it’s tricky because this event requires so much infrastructure spending its even harder than most sports to just cancel. Postponement is tricky with other major world sporting events in the years that follow (Winter Olympics, World Cup etc). As to training, the number of Olympic athletes is so small I suspect they can find somewhere to privately and safely train.
Quote Reply
Re: olympics cancelled? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Highly doubt it will happen this summer. But it’s tricky because this event requires so much infrastructure spending its even harder than most sports to just cancel. Postponement is tricky with other major world sporting events in the years that follow (Winter Olympics, World Cup etc). As to training, the number of Olympic athletes is so small I suspect they can find somewhere to privately and safely train.

Postponement for 12 months so that it is Tokyo 2021 is probably the neatest solution at this stage. Infrastructure will already be in place, the big money in TV rights, etc can be deferred and rolled over. With so many other sports schedules impacted, a call on this needs to be made early - ie. in the next few weeks.

There will be a whole lot of things in 2021 that will need to be rescheduled. But I think there would actually be a fair amount of goodwill on this, and a straight 12 month postponement will actually offer everyone a lot of clarity and certainty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it happens in 2020, even if we're well on the back side of the infection rate curve by then. Selection events all over the world are being postponed/cacelled.
The sooner they pull the plug and reschedule for 2021, the better.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: olympics cancelled? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: olympics cancelled? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: olympics cancelled? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good. I don't have an opinion either way. But I don't see the point in cancelling them now. It's 4+ months away and there will be better information coming all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: olympics cancelled? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Live streaming provided by neighborhood Ring cameras.

ericMPro wrote:
Distributed Olympics. Grassroots events in local sandlots.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea whether they will cancel or not, but if they are postponed beyond 2020, then there are major financial implications to the IOC regarding television rights and payments. The old saying of follow the money applies here. The IOC will not want to give up that money so I think Japan will have to make the decision for them.

On a general level as continued cancellations and economic slowdown push us towards a global recession and perhaps a depression, the political pressure to continue will become unbearable. Eventually the human misery of bankruptcy, unemployment and hunger will outweigh the risk of death from the virus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Very good. I don't have an opinion either way. But I don't see the point in cancelling them now. It's 4+ months away and there will be better information coming all the time.
I have to assume that the countries that will be participating are holding now or will be holding the individual sport qualifying events. So you would think they are being cancelled or postponed

It would be prudent for the IOC to cancel the events now.
Quote Reply
Re: olympics cancelled? [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Postponement for 12 months so that it is Tokyo 2021 is probably the neatest solution at this stage. Infrastructure will already be in place, the big money in TV rights, etc can be deferred and rolled over. With so many other sports schedules impacted, a call on this needs to be made early - ie. in the next few weeks.

There will be a whole lot of things in 2021 that will need to be rescheduled. But I think there would actually be a fair amount of goodwill on this, and a straight 12 month postponement will actually offer everyone a lot of clarity and certainty.

Apparently the condos that make up the athletes village have already been sold, so those condos will need to be vacant when the athletes arrive in 2021 if the games are postponed. I have a feeling that officials are just buying some time while they work out these issues. It might cost a pretty penny for these condos to remain vacant for another year. Who should pay the mortgage? The Japanese are notorious for not making big decisions until every little detail is covered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:

you should decide NOW because of several reasons. already now, several countries can not train their teams anymore and probably for months ahead. they have their preparation already compromised (Italy, soon Spain, France, UK, etc.)
really impossible to think of Olympics 2020

even if corona is gone by then. it would be too late. impact would have been already worse than a tsunami
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Popular opinion on the talk shows in Japan is one or two years. Of course, Abe wants it to happen this year. I think 2022 makes more sense. A vaccine is still 12-18 months away.
Quote Reply
Re: olympics cancelled? [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont see how they proceed, with the current situation. Countries are being locked down for a couple months. We are next, how are athletes training?

I know Japan will take a major financial hit, but all of us will be financially impacted by COVID-19.
Quote Reply