Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

oilman 70.3 (conroe, texas) mini race review.
Quote | Reply
just wanted to get this mini race review up for anyone in the future that may search for info on the race.

seems like this is the first race of this distance back in the state of texas since lockdown. "out-loud productions" put the race on and did a fantastic job, in my opinion. race felt about as close to normal as possible with covid protocols in place which the race organizers enforced as best as possible.

a pre-race swim clinic was avail the morning before the race. just a short swim for around the first 1/4 of the swim for those that want to get some water time in. i highly appreciated this as like many of us, swimming isnt my strongest discipline and the ability to get in the water ill actually be swimming in for race day settled the nerves down some. one of the local race team coaches was there for the complete noobies to help them out with stuff as simple as how to put your wetsuit on, keeping goggles not foggy, etc.

morning of / parking. if you dont need your vehicle till the race is complete you can park right by transition. if you want it sooner you have to park at the front entrance of the resort and walk or bike in about half a mile.

swim- swim is pretty basic. leave a beach area at the host resorts main "swimming hole", hang a right to head straight out to the lake, two left hand turns out in the lake then straight back to transition. the hardest part was the first right turn to the lake has you staring directly into the sun. i couldnt see any of the buoys so i sighted the trees that lined the outlet into the lake.

bike- the bike ride was a rolling hill type ride with maybe 3 hills that put me all the way in my highest gear putting down around 200w. i spent a guestimate of around 30% of the race seated upright versus down in aero. scenery was nice, texas woods on country roads and two lanes. majority of the roads were nice with a few patches of rougher asphalt that wasnt too terrible. my daily riding where i live is worse so i was pleased.

maybe the middle 40% or so of the bike leg has athletes on the country roads with cars. i wasnt a big fan of this but mitigating it was just staying on the nice shoulders when avail. early sunday morning traffic didnt seem too bad until you get closer to the resort and transition... maybe 6-7 miles out.

run- two loop course. first roughly half is through a neighborhood by the resort. neighborhood streets mostly with a little bit on the resorts golf course cart path. end of this half has you cutting through the resorts swimming pool / restaurant / splash pad / water slide area. music from the resort playing, people cheering, this was a nice little spot. second half of the loop was pretty much all on the golf course run path and was very hilly, and LOTS of the golf kart paths was horribly off camber. i intentionally ran in the grass / compact dirt a lot to stay off the off camber pavement.

there are plenty of VRBO type rentals on the lake if you want to get a rental and make a long weekend out of it. i spoke with a few folks that stayed in hotels in the area. you can also stay at the margaritaville resort. seems like a really neat place to stay and its RIGHT THERE... reminds me a lot of the setup you have if you stay at the moody gardens resort hotel for texas 70.3.

overall i enjoyed the whole race, only detractor for me was the bad camber jogging paths. i cant fault them at all for using what they have avail, but i personally would just make sure to stay off this as much as possible when running it to avoid a rolled ankle while on tired legs.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: oilman 70.3 (conroe, texas) mini race review. [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice report. I enjoyed reading it. One question, why 30% out of aero? That seems a lot unless there were several steep climbs.
Quote Reply
Re: oilman 70.3 (conroe, texas) mini race review. [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was up out of aero more than i thought i would be. i was observing the majority of the riders i was around were all behaving the same so i felt decent about it.

there were lots of hills that put me in the small ring in higher gears, and lots of times i found opportunity to gain speed in aero on down hills and descents then have to be up out of aero to top the next hill.

i’m no power rider, i finished the bike in 2:44. (bike split was 48th place out of 248 total riders, top 20%).

Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Nov 4, 20 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: oilman 70.3 (conroe, texas) mini race review. [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race as well, albeit the Aquabike portion. I second the race management that Damon mentioned. They did an excellent job with the race and covid protocols. even though I was one of the last people in transition, we were not rushed at all. I didn’t sign up til Sat AM and when I got to transition, the bike racks stopped before my number. Race personnel in the area did a great job of getting another rack setup in short order. The atmosphere was laid back and the participants were all courteous.
I stayed at the Best Western about 15 minutes away. I wouldn’t recommend that for future racers. There was too much traffic on SH 105 which kept me awake most of the night. I didn’t stay at the resort as there was a two night minimum at $300 per nite.
The bike course was nice TX backcountry as Damon mentions and the drivers were all well mannered and law enforcement was at every intersection near as I could tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon talked me into doing this race and I'm glad I did.

This was my very first triathlon, so I had no idea what to expect doing everything back-to-back-to-back. As a nubi, here's what I'll add.

The one leg of the swim into the sun, as Damon said, was difficult. I don't know if tinted goggles would have helped, but it was right into your eyes. The water was actually a warm 65f, but since it was wetsuit legal of course you have to wear one. Since it was a self-seeded swim start (don't know if this is always the case here), I found that I came up to two groups of four or five swimmers that were significantly slower than I was. I seeded for the 40-45' and did it in 41. So, I seeded properly, but apparently that's not what everyone did.

Edit: Also Damon mentioned the morning swim clinic. For you folks that don't need a clinic the area was always open to go swim to your hearts content. I saw several swimming before the clinic and a lot swimming prior to the start. And they had a ton of kayaks and boats for safety (many more than I've seen on YouTube videos.

I may have beat Damon on the swim, but I'm a lot slower on the bike and run. On the bike I guess my slowness made it easy to stay in the tucked position pretty much throughout the race. Going downhill at 30 isn't as difficult as going downhill at 35 or 40. There were a couple of climbs where I sat up. There were also rough patches on a couple of the shorter sections. I did run into one problem where I was coming down a hill with a 90d right turn at the bottom. The police officer sent a truck with a large travel trailer through, expecting him to go straight I'm sure (wouldn't have been an issue with that). But the guy apparently didn't have his blinker on and made the turn directly into my lane. I had to go around the left side of him.

I thought running on the cart paths was going to be like running on sidewalk. Unfortunately, the paths are 50 years old and there are A LOT of areas where they are broken up badly. I don't recall receiving a heads up about this and the first area was within 200-300y of first section of path in the shade. With sunglasses on, I didn't see this until it was too late and took a tumble. I was a bit bruised, but able to finish. Also, as Damon mentioned, there were a number of places where the path had a large camber. Wish I was smart like Damon and ran on the grass.

It's a small race and great place for nubis. Any issue was minor. I'll probably participate again in this one next year. I did miss out on a large expo and a bunch of vendors, which disappointed me just a little.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Last edited by: LEBoyd: Nov 4, 20 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: oilman 70.3 (conroe, texas) mini race review. [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
I didn’t stay at the resort as there was a two night minimum at $300 per nite.

Reminds me. We stayed at the Hampton in town. I looked at the race hotel the Friday before the race and they had a race special block for $185/night (Edit: And you could book just one night). I talked to my wife and she said, "Sure." When I went back on Monday there were no rooms at that rate. I called the hotel and they said the race block was only until the previous Friday. A race personnel answered my email inquiring if they could do anything. She was very apologetic that they did not put that information on any of their "static" messages (like the website or athlete information). They had posted something to Instagram and FB and sent an email to those already registered.

Last edited by: LEBoyd: Nov 4, 20 12:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a great local run race - this was the 17th year so they know what they are doing.
It was a smaller crowd than previous years but still brought a great mix of abilities so it is a race for everyone and anyone (overall winner 4hr 21min, last athlete 8hr 29min).
So next year if you're looking for an end of year race to leverage your years training I highly recommend making a trip to Conroe.
Oh, and as a bonus this race always ends up being the day after the fall back time change - so you get an extra hour in bed in the morning, what other race changes the time for you to get extra sleep race morning!
Quote Reply
Re: oilman 70.3 (conroe, texas) mini race review. [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until Sunday I believe Oilman was the only active 70.3 in Texas that I hadn't raced yet (Galveston, Lubbock, Waco, Kerrville being the others).

Venue: 9/10 - I stayed at the Margaritaville just for Saturday night and thought it was the best venue of any race in Texas. From my room I could see the entire swim course, transition, and part of the run course. The resort was nicer than expected as well...I definitely got a kick out of the whole Margaritaville vibe. It was a stress free packet pickup and the lack of Saturday bike check in made things even easier. I didn't show up until Saturday evening and had by far the most relaxed day before a 70.3 of the 15 or so I have raced.

Swim: 5/10 - Loved the water temp and I enjoyed the course in general other than being woefully short on swim fitness. I will say this...we got very lucky with the water conditions. I grew up going to Lake Conroe and the water can be very rough. We were fortunate not to be dealing with white caps on raceday.

Bike: Texas Cycling Scale 9/10 - This was definitely my favorite bike course of any Texas 70.3. In a state where we're usually stuck with courses that are pancake flat (Galveston), loaded with chip seal (Kerrville, Waco), or both (Lubbock...don't worry I still love you Lubbock), this course was an awesome change. I'd say 60% of the roads were pristine asphalt. The other 40% was still perfectly fine and way better than anything in West Texas or the Hill Country. No part of the course was flat, but I also don't think I ever saw more than 5% gradient on my computer. I kept it in aero 95% of the ride. The course was a tad long and it got pretty lonely out there at times but it was well marked and navigation wasn't an issue. Support was ok...3 aid stations where you better not miss your bottle because you only really got one crack at it.

Run: 3/10 - It's basically running 18 holes of cart path with some neighborhood roads thrown in to break things up. As a previous poster mentioned there were a few off camber sections that were just miserable to run on. I think I saw maybe 4 other runners the entire first lap. Aside from aid stations there was zero atmosphere out there on the golf course. There were some short sections that briefly took us through the resort area but for the most part this was a lonely run.

IMO the venue and bike course absolutely make this a race worth doing. If they could find a better option for the run I would put the course right up there with the best in Texas. I will certainly be back at some point in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: oilman 70.3 (conroe, texas) mini race review. [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
IMO the venue and bike course absolutely make this a race worth doing.

And this bike course makes up most of the "good parts" of the original IM Texas course.

FYI - those roads are essentially my default route whenever I go for a long ride. Unless I consciously decide to go a different direction, my bike will automatically end up there 4-5 times per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for these reports. This race (aqua bike) is definitely on my want to do list. I was entered in 2018 but ended up not going when my dad died 3 weeks before the race.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: oilman 70.3 (conroe, texas) mini race review. [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s awesome, I really didn’t appreciate how good the riding could be in that area. I’ve generally headed to the Hill Country for training camps, etc. but I’d love to do one in Conroe/The Woodlands and explore the area some more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the course was great - lonely run included (a great way to reflect and dig deep). A shaded run through windy pines - excellent!

Bike course I loved. Aero all the way, except for turns of course, and that last hill on 1468 before entering Montgomery county - but that was intentional to crank up that hill with Powa!

The sun on the swim was annoying - I filled each lens of my googles with water (enough that there’s some sloshing around on the bottom) and that cut the fog and dropped the glare.

Good stuff - I’ll do it again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is the Onalaska 70.3 put on by iTrievents - about 1.5 hours northeast of Houston at Lake Livingston. Tina managed to put on her event this year and that is a great venue with a nice out and back swim, beautiful bike course, and run through a neighborhood that really welcomes the athletes.

Just another “local” ie non IM event that I would recommend people to support.
Quote Reply
Re: oilman 70.3 (conroe, texas) mini race review. [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pointer on this other race. Please remind us when the time is right so we go look at consider it.

Quote Reply
Re: oilman 70.3 (conroe, texas) mini race review. [Yutaka Sonik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yutaka Sonik wrote:
I thought the course was great - lonely run included (a great way to reflect and dig deep). A shaded run through windy pines - excellent!

Bike course I loved. Aero all the way, except for turns of course, and that last hill on 1468 before entering Montgomery county - but that was intentional to crank up that hill with Powa!

The sun on the swim was annoying - I filled each lens of my googles with water (enough that there’s some sloshing around on the bottom) and that cut the fog and dropped the glare.

Good stuff - I’ll do it again

next time i’m going to be faster than you! haha!

only kidding. this fellow took 2nd overall folks. dude is crazy fast and very humble about it.

Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Nov 5, 20 1:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also raced Oilman last weekend.

Thought the swim was great.

Bike was ideal for me, perfect mix of hills. Easy to stay aero but broke up the monotony. I heard others talk about the bad chipseal from miles 20-35 and I realize it's relative to where you usually ride but I thought it was fine.

Run, ugh. I hated the course. It felt like an obstacle course. I don't like running on grass or tilted surfaces. Shade was nice. I feel like they could've had us run on one half of a side of the road out of the resort to get more miles and that would have been much nicer.

Will do this again once I forget the specifics about the run.
Quote Reply
Re: oilman 70.3 (conroe, texas) mini race review. [esmith06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I feel like they could've had us run on one half of a side of the road out of the resort to get more miles and that would have been much nicer.

Many years ago (like 05, 06, 07 timeframe) the run course did leave the property as an out and back towards Montgomery. I don’t remember exactly when it switched to the golf course but the one time I did that version I really didn’t like it either.
Quote Reply