Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1
Quote | Reply
i received another confirmation email that this race (as of now) is still a go, with support for 700 registered participants.

anyone else registered and think that we will actually get to do this race?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With that many registered athletes.... nope.

If it was less than 300 maybe.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He can tell me different, but I think you're misinterpreting what he's writing. It reads as if their permit gives them 700 slots. For this race, but looking at their site for results. I don't think they'll get to 700, more like 500 max but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 3-400 who show up on race day.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct. Looks like a max of 700.

Hopefully it goes off. I know all my homies in Houston are wanting SOME race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m signed up and hoping the race goes ahead.
The race is in Montgomery County which could be described as not having the most robust response to the pandemic, being a more “freedom” loving county. If this was in Harris County no way it goes ahead.
I raced a 70.3 last weekend up in Lake Livingston, although a small event it showed that we can do this.
Is is safe and/or morally responsible to hold these events is a separate question.
Personally, I’ll be there if it goes ahead.
I’ve competed at this event for many years and it is a big venue, that they can space out, the ride and run are normally fairly spread out. They will likely change the swim start as there is normally a big congregation on the beach before the normal wave starts.
Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The race is in Montgomery County which could be described as not having the most robust response to the pandemic, being a more “freedom” loving county.

And yet Montgomery County's total confirmed cases per 1,000 people is significantly lower than Harris County and the state average.

State: 23.20
Harris: 24.76
Montgomery: 17.04
Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My comment was meant to convey that of all the counties in the greater Houston area the fact that the race is in Montgomery County gives the race a greater chance of going ahead.
Each county has had their own take on the response to the pandemic and are now moving forward at different paces, with a variety of reasons for this from cultural, social, economic, and yes political viewpoints.
Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
My comment was meant to convey that of all the counties in the greater Houston area the fact that the race is in Montgomery County gives the race a greater chance of going ahead.
Each county has had their own take on the response to the pandemic and are now moving forward at different paces, with a variety of reasons for this from cultural, social, economic, and yes political viewpoints.

What you "meant" and what you "said" are two different things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up and we'll drive down from Dallas if it does indeed go as planned. I give it better than 50/50 odds.
Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [esmith06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you guys better come give me a high five if we get to race.

my training had fallen off a bit over the past couple of months unfortunately so i won’t be on point but i’m looking forward to racing again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may not like how I said it but it is what I said and I know what I meant.
Am I wrong about the consensus in that county?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am entered and will race. Agree with 50-50 odds. I'm confident that I can maintain social distancing in a 70.3 with 700 entrants. On another note, isn't Montgomery County Commissioner the one who yanked Ironman Texas' permit at the last minute, which resulted in the now permenant bike course change to The Woodlands, and enemtually, the Toll Road?
Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wild Horse wrote:
I'm confident that I can maintain social distancing in a 70.3 with 700 entrants.

im so over all the social distancing and stupidity of all of this i dont wear my mask when its not required. walmart of all places is actually getting more of my business now as i dont have to wear said mask in the store. i go in and feel "normal".

Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On another note, isn't Montgomery County Commissioner the one who yanked Ironman Texas' permit at the last minute

Kinda sorta. From my recollection it wasn't so much a yanking of the permit (because it hadn't yet been issued for that year) but rather a statement that he would not approve the course going through his precinct. Nor was it last minute - mid February, I think).

Btw, the commissioner that did this has been under ethics investigations multiple times. He also represents an area of the county that likely saw very little, if any, financial benefit from the race, yet had significant road closure/traffic issues as the course went through two highly congested intersections.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per the RD "...all permits have been approved and that our current race cap is 600 due to COVID space restrictions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who have raced this previously, what have the water temps been on race day?
Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
For those who have raced this previously, what have the water temps been on race day?
their website says the race has always been wetsuit legal, but i wasn’t able to find anything regarding recorded water temps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Calm lake, solidly legal, but above 70F with some very shallow sections if the lake is low. I think Houston area has gotten plenty of tropical weather recently. Air temp can be brisk or warm. Bike course is nice, variable surfaces, but I won’t be running a disk on that chip seal north of Richards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With those water temps, it sounds like a sleeveless wetsuit would be the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the current attitudes in MoCo, I'd estimate probability of Oilman happening are 80% - 90%. Things are very liberal now and still on the reopen trend. I was at the Margaritaville property a few weeks ago, and it seemed almost back to 2019-normal.

Oilman roads are 100% disc worthy and safe. If you have one, there's no reason not to use it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
Wild Horse wrote:
I'm confident that I can maintain social distancing in a 70.3 with 700 entrants.

im so over all the social distancing and stupidity of all of this i dont wear my mask when its not required. walmart of all places is actually getting more of my business now as i dont have to wear said mask in the store. i go in and feel "normal".

Would just like to say thank you. If more people could act like this, we could take COVID into 2022, 2023 or so.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: oilman: houston (conroe / montgomery) TX, Nov 1 [shotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shotts wrote:
With the current attitudes in MoCo, I'd estimate probability of Oilman happening are 80% - 90%. Things are very liberal now and still on the reopen trend. I was at the Margaritaville property a few weeks ago, and it seemed almost back to 2019-normal.

Oilman roads are 100% disc worthy and safe. If you have one, there's no reason not to use it.

My mistake... now that I think back, the last year that I did this race, they had resurfaced those chip sealed portions north of Richards THE WEEK BEFORE THE RACE! Agree that most of the surface... particularly through the State Forest is smooth and disk worthy (that’s why I was running one).
Quote Reply