Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

oh man Floyd Landis crashed and broke his hip
Quote | Reply
from Cycling News

Floyd Landis breaks hip
One of the key members of the US Postal Service team, Floyd Landis, has suffered a broken hip bone after falling during training on Saturday. The accident happened 10 days prior to the start of the team's first training camp of the new year in California.

According to a team statement, Landis suffered a complete oblique fracture of the right femoral neck when he went down hard on his bike returning from a workout at his local gym in Murrieta, Calif., where he lives. Landis underwent 90 minutes of surgery at Inland Valley Medical Center in nearby Wildomar Saturday evening, and had three titanium screws placed in his hip.

"I was about 20 minutes from home and returning from the gym," said Landis. "I was riding down a short, steep hill that levels out and then turns right and I crashed when making the right turn. It has been windy the last few days and there must have been some sand on the road I didn't see. Where the street leveled out, my front wheel just washed out and I went down on my right side at about 25 miles an hour.

"I knew something was wrong with my hip when I couldn't get my foot out of the pedal. I had to crawl to the side of the road and then telephoned my wife. I knew I wasn't going to be able to ride home."

"I hope it's not too bad," said Johan Bruyneel, the USPS team's director sportif, who suffered a similar injury during his professional cycling career. "This will definitely effect the start of his season. Floyd is one of our key riders for the Tour de France but I'm pretty confident he can get ready (for the Tour). I expect him to be racing in April, so it's not a disaster. We will change his program to get him ready for the Tour and then maybe to also race the Tour of Spain (in September) as well."

Landis added that "My conversation with Johan made me feel better. He overcame something like this himself so that helps. We talked about me making my first peak at the Tour and then taking part in other races possibly leading up to the Vuelta. That's the thing about our sport - the season is so long and there are so many races. I wouldn't have chosen this, but it could be a nice schedule."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: oh man Floyd Landis crashed and broke his hip [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very sad to hear this, Floyd was just the guest speaker at our tri club meeting last week and had been out on a couple of the Saturday rides. What a great guy that was really moving up the ranks in world cycling. Wishing you a speedy recovery Floyd and ample time to prep for TdF.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
He is a tough cookie [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced against Floyd in the Tuesday night Lancaster, PA training races, when he was just a young pup mountain bike stud. He was a tough guy then, I'm sure he'll be ready in time for the tour.
Quote Reply
Re: He is a tough cookie [Jerry in PA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]in the Tuesday night Lancaster, PA [/quote]

Hey Jerry, if you are from that neck of the woods, did you do the Lancaster Family YMCA triathlon in September? I had a lot of fun at that race. The first 5k of that 10k run is awfully hilly.

The swim was a hell of a lot longer than 1500 meters, however. I heard that it used to be a 1.2 mile swim, and judging from everyone's swim times I believe they are still laying the swim course out to a 1.2 mile length. That's alright with me; I like the swim.

--

~~Bob
Quote Reply
Re: He is a tough cookie [Bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didnt do the race but I've done a lot of road riding in that neck of the woods and it's forever up and down.
Quote Reply