hard one to swallow
Balls
Good mornin
panties in a bunch
Swimming
dive into that one
off the deep end
ghetto
get off your stupid triathlon forum". Bitch!!

Some one really drank the Kool Aid...

But really, it behooves us all to live our lives with a thick skin and a soft heart, rather than a thin skin and a hard heart.

when i turned 61 last week i gave myself the gift of not any longer parsing every word i wrote over the offense it might give to the person waiting in the tall weeds ready to pounce on the "offensive" term. i bent over backward and was not rewarded for the effort. whatever years i have left are not going to be spent worrying about the guy (or lady) who'll tweeze the offense out of the meaning.

somewhere in between "lighten up francis" and "don't be a dick" i hope there's a place for me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
brider wrote:
jaretj wrote:
So far I have:

popping cherry
crack pipe
Pull the trigger
blockbuster
Indian giver
ex pro Peleton rider
fuji d6 user
powercrank
nut hugger
World championship stripe clothing buyer
blew up
explosive
Your seat is too high
marble sack
twigs and berries
raisin bag
Get a grip
peanut butter
I want to shoot myself
Cannondale Shiv - as opposed to Specialized Shiv
harden the fuck up
lay off the pipe
Trump ball washer
Political Correctness
balls deep
hard one to swallow
Balls
Good mornin
panties in a bunch
Swimming
dive into that one
off the deep end
ghetto

But really, it behooves us all to live our lives with a thick skin and a soft heart, rather than a thin skin and a hard heart.

when i turned 61 last week i gave myself the gift of not any longer parsing every word i wrote over the offense it might give to the person waiting in the tall weeds ready to pounce on the "offensive" term. i bent over backward and was not rewarded for the effort. whatever years i have left are not going to be spent worrying about the guy (or lady) who'll tweeze the offense out of the meaning.

somewhere in between "lighten up francis" and "don't be a dick" i hope there's a place for me.

Nope. This is 2018 America, has to be one of the other. Which is it?
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the risk of flogging a dead horse ....

George Carlin .... 7 dirty words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbZhpf3sQxQ

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been a good start to the week! Glad I picked up some extra tide pods on the weekend

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote wrote:

I think it was the Divine Miss Midler who said "fuckem if they can't take a joke" .

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The op will probably find that hurtful. Do You no what tide has done to so many community's?
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Oh man. If only I wanted to be proficient in photoshop. The opportunities are endless.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I honestly had no idea where that phrase came from until another poster pointed it out.

Well, actually (puts on pedant hat) - the expression doesn't refer to Remagen, but to Operation Market Garden, the audacious (I always wanted to use that word) plan by Montgomery to conquer a path into Germany by capturing a series of bridges in the south of the Netherlands ending at the Rhine bridge in Arnhem. And that was "a bridge too far"; all the other ones got captured as planned, but the units tasked with capturing the Arnhem one ran into an unexpected German unit on leave and got massacred. Result of that was that the Netherlands south of the Rhine was liberated almost right then and there, but that the offensive basically stalled and that the rest of the country had to wait until after the winter of 44/45, which, unfortunately, turned out to be one of the fiercest winters of the era. The cold and the fact that the Germans impounded basically everything of any value (for use in Germany), including most food, caused mass starvation. People were reduced to eating flower bulbs.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learned something new. Probably won't retain it because I have been smoking Crack all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Maybe we should actually be thanking the op. Slowtwitch has been a little boring since the purge and this has been a good laugh but the beatings should continue!

Purge? There was a purge?

Oh, and thanks to Nealhe for the 7 Dirty Words reminder. I bought Class Clown sometime in 1973 - on vinyl - cuz I'm (a little) older than the Slowman.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Two that I've seen in the last few weeks: "popping cherry" and "crack pipe." Please think about original meaning of these words. I hope you'll avoid using them here.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Feb 12, 18 16:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Two that I've seen in the last few weeks: "popping cherry" and "crack pipe." Please think about original meaning of these words. I hope you'll avoid using them here.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
In the case of "crack-pipe", while I get your objection, I'm not sure it's justified. The name is a reference to the shape and I don't think it's meant as a dig, or joke at anyone's expense. I don't like the reference and wouldn't be inclined to call it that. It's a 90 degree valve adaptor. But I think I don't think it's a real problem worth complaining about. I'm not going to worry about it.
Fair enough. I know it's not meant as a dig. But here's the thing - for some of us who saw or were affected by the so-called crack epidemic and war on drugs up close it's a disturbing reminder. Which gets to my point about learning about the origins, and not using words related to "others" that those others would find offensive.

And I don't understand why people here find my asking them to avoid it so disturbing (not you) - certainly that reflects a disregard for others perceptions.

You honestly want and expect 87,536 registered users on a website to stop using a couple of terms that you don't like? Wowzers.
Last edited by: re-fresh: Feb 12, 18 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Ya left out the MOST offensive word. Dentist

You are a rabid anti-dentite!

Next thing you be saying is that they should have their own schools.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
] Which gets to my point about learning about the origins, and not using words related to "others" that those others would find offensive.

And I don't understand why people here find my asking them to avoid it so disturbing (not you) - certainly that reflects a disregard for others perceptions.

As someone who came here from another country and being an outcast throughout my life I find your use of "others" highly offensive. Why would use such a term, do you have a disregard for people who immigrated here?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:

Hey I could have lost relatives in Guyana and find that phrase highly insensitive.

Of course I find this whole thread re... oops can't use that word or I will get kicked off this forum. I find this Dumb.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I haven't had time to read through this whole thread but has anybody offered to change their names on slowtwitch to crack pipe I certainly will

I tried "cherry cracking pipe popper" but there is a 15 character limit.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:

I hope to pop my cherry and stand on top of the podium this year, I hope my buddies pop their cherries also.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
So far I have:

popping cherry
crack pipe
Pull the trigger
blockbuster
Indian giver
ex pro Peleton rider
fuji d6 user
powercrank
nut hugger
blew up
explosive
Your seat is too high
marble sack
twigs and berries
raisin bag
Get a grip
peanut butter
I want to shoot myself
harden the fuck up
lay off the pipe
Trump ball washer
Political Correctness
balls deep
hard one to swallow
Balls
Good mornin
panties in a bunch
Swimming
dive into that one
off the deep end
ghetto
My wife just asked me why I was laughing so hard.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Cherrycracker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cherrycracker wrote:
jaretj wrote:
So far I have:

popping cherry
crack pipe
Pull the trigger
blockbuster
Indian giver
ex pro Peleton rider
fuji d6 user
powercrank
nut hugger
blew up
explosive
Your seat is too high
marble sack
twigs and berries
raisin bag
Get a grip
peanut butter
I want to shoot myself
harden the fuck up
lay off the pipe
Trump ball washer
Political Correctness
balls deep
hard one to swallow
Balls
Good mornin
panties in a bunch
Swimming
dive into that one
off the deep end
ghetto
My wife just asked me why I was laughing so hard.

The name cherry cracker offends me... that’s way worse than cherry popper.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Cherrycracker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you guys ever been around a crack head?
Now that's a good laugh!
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Grant.Reuter and All,

No to be overly critical ...... but it is important to consider (perhaps reflecting on the excellent character of triathletes ... but showing some uncharacteristic timidness and lack of effort) that these word lists have only scratched the surface of pejorative words and epithets of racial, religious, personal cleanliness, character or lack thereof, social, and other classes of words that cause some human faces to turn red and twisted when they hear them.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Maybe we should actually be thanking the op. Slowtwitch has been a little boring since the purge and this has been a good laugh but the beatings should continue!

Purge? There was a purge?

Oh, and thanks to Nealhe for the 7 Dirty Words reminder. I bought Class Clown sometime in 1973 - on vinyl - cuz I'm (a little) older than the Slowman.

Apparently, H20Fun was purged about a month ago. It's almost a shame because we could point to the OP as an example of what a real 'snowflake' is. Oops, better add that to the list of offensive terms.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordon Peterson, is this you? Kudos, I just bought your book! I’m cleaning my room right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you contacted the army and demanded from them not to use the word "crack troops"?
Quote Reply

Prev Next