Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Swimming

/thread

im offended at your offense.

I'm not going to dive into that one. I might go off the deep end.

Dan, are you here?

Seriously though, I heard crack pipe in the bike context the first time here on ST. I knew instantly what it meant and though I know someone who spent too much of their life on the other side of a CP. I realize words can have two meanings (or more). I do agree that if we really consider how we might offend someone, somewhere we wouldn't be able to say much. As hard as I try not to offend, I accept I will sooner or later, hopefully, we all are mature enough and tough enough to see that using a word in a way we might not, still might have a place. maybe.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crack pipe... Really? That really is a bridge too far going around being offended by the word crack pipe
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get offended when my wife says something is "ghetto".
Partly b/c she's never been remotely close to anything that could be considered a ghetto.

I also get offended when she tells me to "get off your stupid triathlon forum". Bitch!!
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far I have:

popping cherry
crack pipe
Pull the trigger
blockbuster
Indian giver
ex pro Peleton rider
fuji d6 user
powercrank
nut hugger
World championship stripe clothing buyer
blew up
explosive
Your seat is too high
marble sack
twigs and berries
raisin bag
Get a grip
peanut butter
I want to shoot myself
Cannondale Shiv - as opposed to Specialized Shiv
harden the fuck up
lay off the pipe
Trump ball washer
Political Correctness
balls deep
hard one to swallow
Balls
Good mornin
panties in a bunch
Swimming
dive into that one
off the deep end
ghetto
get off your stupid triathlon forum". Bitch!!
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
offensive terms thrown around here

I am completely offended by your subject title. As a child I was chucked around all over the place like Sloth and now I can only eat Baby Ruth through one side of my mouth. You didn't bloody think about that when you wrote this, did you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats OP. After reading this thread, My Rolodex of offensive terms has officially doubled.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had time to read through this whole thread but has anybody offered to change their names on slowtwitch to crack pipe I certainly will
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured this thread would be good.
Never thought it was gonna be this good, though...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once cut my finger real bad so I am offended by the Cannondale 'slice.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Crack pipe... Really? That really is a bridge too far going around being offended by the word crack pipe

Insulting Veterans now, smh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
spookini wrote:
If you've ever been incarcerated -- the Cannondale Shiv is an incredibly offensive name to give a bike.

Especially if you are a Specialized employee...

Oh man. I gotta lay off the pipe..

That's what she said?

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. I'm just a son of a bitch
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
Two that I've seen in the last few weeks: "popping cherry" and "crack pipe." Please think about original meaning of these words. I hope you'll avoid using them here.

If your goal in life is to traverse this planet and not offend anybody I say kudos to you. However, I don't need to be told how I should be taking my journey throughout the world. My choice of words, my choice of being offensive are all things I'd ask you to consider, these are my right as a free-minded individual.

I find it offensive that I can not just speak how I want, where I want with the actual tone and perspective taken into consideration. This is to say I have manners and education which allows me to know when something is overtly offensive. I will not however go through life considering all the nuances of all the terms or "figures of speech" I use regularly if they don't appear at first glance as offensive. Your posting deeply offends me and I'm not joking here or making light of you. Groups of people online and in the media are bullying people for being who they are and taking words used out of context and giving them a different perspective rather than just calling a spade a spade.

This is a subculture, we are endurance athletes, I use a "crack pipe" on my disc-wheel and here, in our subculture that is a very acceptable term. If Dan ran a poll of the user base it would be by far the proper accepted nomenclature used. If you don't like it then perhaps focus on political rallies and changing the world in other areas and leave us to our subculture and it's offensive bits.

I apologize ahead of time if you found any of this offensive.

now you're just "stirring the pot" (sorry, pot smokers, no offense, and with all due respect)

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:
PushThePace wrote:
jt10000 wrote:

I apologize ahead of time if you found any of this offensive.

now you're just "stirring the pot" (sorry, pot smokers, no offense, and with all due respect)

Ok, that was a low blow and offensive. I spent much of my teenage years smoking pot and had big dreams, but now I just spend my days on a triathlon forum mulling over what could’ve been.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I think the OP's balls have been busted enough....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/...625/OfcomQRG-AOC.pdf[/quote[/url]

Thanks for that link. I will now laugh whenever I see someone refer to themselves as FOP. There are a few that I will search when I am not on a work computer.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Last edited by: Vincible: Feb 12, 18 10:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
Two that I've seen in the last few weeks: "popping cherry" and "crack pipe." Please think about original meaning of these words. I hope you'll avoid using them here.

How in the world is Crack Pipe offensive? Not to mention it’s a term that’s been used for at least the last 12 years on here and probabaly before I started here.
It's joking about something that's associated with inner city poverty, especially among black people, the war on drugs, and addiction - very serious issues. Crack pipes are horrible things related to a lot of misery. If you've been touched by those things, and think the phrase is funny or neutral, ignore me and joke about them if you think it's appropriate. But if those are things that you would never think would affect you, then I suggest you should avoid them. Using words that are serious about "others" is something I try to avoid myself.

Ai_1 wrote:
What induced you to start this thread? I'm curious.
Mostly because you haven't given any real argument as to why these terms would be considered offensive, but also because attitudes and tone are universally more offensive than individual words. To ask us to refrain from specific, arguably, offensive words without explanation, context or discussion is a bit silly.

"Crack pipe" has always disturbed me here for the reasons above. I meant to post this kind of message the last time someone used it in the hope that people would think about it a bit more, but didn't want to be seeming to attack an individual. Then I saw the other phrase today, which is clearly vulgar in most uses, and thought to bring these up generally.

Dude go be PC somewhere else. Geeze everyone is offended by something these days. Suck it up and move on

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

When I want to be offended, I just go to triroost, listen to old TRS podcasts, or click on threads that prominently feature H2ODave.

Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I miss Dave. Is he ever gonna kiss and make up with Dan?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply

Prev Next