Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
177 posts...I'm not reading this whole thread...Was the OP trolling or is he serious?

Well, you're missing the 2nd funniest thread on the site - other than the "Cry like a little Biatch" thread...
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Feb 13, 18 15:36
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this thread is turning into a ST all time top ten best.

Sorry to any thread that isn't in the top ten (they can have a finishers medal - I've got plenty to spare); no offence to finishers or medals intended.

Also, no reference to a certain male genital part was intended with the "top ten" reference above which, upon further consideration makes me concerned about the ever popular NCAA conference: "Big Ten"

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just about to post "10 pages and no reference to the cry like a little biatch thread?"
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Lucky489] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucky489 wrote:
Ok after nine pages I think a reply is warranted. A "Crack Pipe" is an inanimate object. It has no feelings and any connotations of its feelings is in that person. Now if ST went around saying crack heads that would be offensive to someone that has feelings. The pipe has no feelings.

I agree with this. If a shitty piece of useless equipment that always fails was called a 'crack head' for slang, then it might be offensive.

A crack pipe is just a description for a piece of equipment that looks like, you guessed it, "an actual crack pipe". It has no other connotations associated with its description, ie that it destroys things, causes people to be 'useless' members of society or anything else. It is just a descriptive term based on appearance.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
A crack pipe is just a description for a piece of equipment that looks like, you guessed it, "an actual crack pipe". It has no other connotations associated with its description, ie that it destroys things, causes people to be 'useless' members of society or anything else. It is just a descriptive term based on appearance.

Well, there ARE people in cars & trucks who think people riding bikes while wearing Lycra are 'useless' members of society, so maybe?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
Leddy wrote:
mck414 wrote:
As a resident of a state with legal recreation MJ.

I am offended some states ban MJ.

Me too

Well played.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Feb 13, 18 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't we all agree that "Velotron" is offensive to EVERYONE?

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
spookini wrote:
If you've ever been incarcerated -- the Cannondale Shiv is an incredibly offensive name to give a bike.

Especially if you are a Specialized employee...

Oh man. I gotta lay off the pipe..

Well then, will you loan yours to me so I can go ride my old Hooker?
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
jt10000 wrote:

The context of crack pipe, for many black people in cities, is so horrible that even if you're not talking about an actual crack pipe it's evocative. Now, some of yall don't know that. I don't blame you for that. That's not your context. I'm not ordering anyone to stop using it. I simply ASKED people to learn about it and said I hoped they'd stop.

I'm offended that youre looking out for people whose bad decision making led them to the situation which they are in and caused a demand for drugs in the USA which resulted in a Mexican drug war which killed over a hundred thousand Mexicans. Many whom were innocent and in no way involved in drug smuggling or even drug use. As a Mexican I am offended, triggered, butthurt and all of the related buzzwords that you would defend the people whose use of crack pipes caused so much suffering in my country, I'm asking you to be considerate and stop this.

Although you wrote in pink I concur. My grandmother was orphaned in Chihuahua 1916-1928 (we are not sure). Anyway before she passed away she wanted me to take her back there for a visit but there was no way I was going to take her and my family into that war zone. Seriously Butt Hurt over this.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Boz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people arent even triggered by phrases like:
itu uber-biker
elliptical run course
negligible aero benefit
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 13, 18 15:39
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Im from Monterrey and lived there up until the fall of 2011 so was there through the worst of the drug war. Which is why i find it funny that the term crack pipe is causing people so much grief. Only in the USA.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
spookini wrote:
eb wrote:
[plumbers are already in an uproar about "plumber's crack", no need to contact them.
Most enlightened tradesmen are now using the culture-neutral term "ass cleavage"
I believe you posted the canonical example in another thread!
I'm offended you think I know how to pronounce canonical.

Now would someone pls explain the Spiderman gif -- that one has me scratching my head. Which I realize is insensitive to lice sufferers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peter parker has a thing for MJ (Mary Jane Watson). Which I'm sure is an intentional innuendo, so I'm offended by Stan Lee's portrayal of him as "your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man "

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
eb wrote:
spookini wrote:
eb wrote:
[plumbers are already in an uproar about "plumber's crack", no need to contact them.
Most enlightened tradesmen are now using the culture-neutral term "ass cleavage"
I believe you posted the canonical example in another thread!
I'm offended you think I know how to pronounce canonical.

Now would someone pls explain the Spiderman gif -- that one has me scratching my head. Which I realize is insensitive to lice sufferers.

MJ is Peter Parker’s fling, which I realize is offensive to people who park their Peters in her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Now would someone pls explain the Spiderman gif -- that one has me scratching my head. Which I realize is insensitive to lice sufferers

Mary Jane you insensitive misogynistic jerk.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Now would someone pls explain the Spiderman gif -- that one has me scratching my head. Which I realize is insensitive to lice sufferers

Mary Jane you insensitive misogynistic jerk.

And it's more like Spidermannequin in that shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:
177 posts...I'm not reading this whole thread...Was the OP trolling or is he serious?

You should read through. Funny as hell.
Compounded by several posters who are getting worked up over it.

That was worth the read. But seriously don't be a dick, hell isn't funny.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All this in less than a day-watching this thread evolve has been an experience

I feel: silly and embarrassed and also sad and concerned

Too many people have offered excellent commentary about the pros and cons of offering advice on an internet thread here in ST for me to say anything, but I have laughed a lot at some pretty funny offerings in this thread and like the spectator at the car crash, I am now just watching and taking it all in

and believe me, I've seen enough in this life to know that you have to live and laugh as well as be serious and own your thoughts and words-still, some funny sh*t and I thank all those that contributed

*(I have also learned a bit about who here at ST is super quick on the draw to serve up scathing rebuttal and will be wary of them going forward)

crackpipe, popping cherry........................................'snowflake' seems to be the correct response IMO
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
fulla wrote:

Well, there ARE people in cars & trucks who think people riding bikes while wearing Lycra are 'useless' members of society, so maybe?

Many of those people are more likely to be on crack aren't they? You can certainly tell a meth head driving a car.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
Two that I've seen in the last few weeks: "popping cherry" and "crack pipe." Please think about original meaning of these words. I hope you'll avoid using them here.

Your post resembles this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBdnyrzq96s

This!
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Two that I've seen in the last few weeks: "popping cherry" and "crack pipe." Please think about original meaning of these words. I hope you'll avoid using them here.

There is only one word that should be banned from not only this forum, but all mouths & typing fingers world wide.

"Gwensanity"
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno, it kind of has a sincere and authentic ring to it.... kind of like "hulkamania" or "macho-madness"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Irish twins = two children born 9months apart. 'Cause the Irish church don't allow birth control.
The term is incredibly offensive to actual Irish twins, many of whom may also be fisherpeople living with asthma.
More accurately, the state was unduly influenced by the Catholic church in the 20th century and contraceptives were illegal until 1980. A crazy state of affairs. Even after that ban was lifted there were restrictions on availability for some time. Thankfully that's well in the past and the Church has lost most of it's influence now.
Combine lack of contraceptives and a population with a healthy libido and.........

Now I'm, lost again. What's are the "fisherpeople" and asthma references about?
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Now I'm, lost again. What's are the "fisherpeople" and asthma references about?
Cited earlier in the thread as example of non-offensive and offensive terminology.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Valentine's Day yet? -- a holiday that re-inforces unhealthy gender expectations, and perpetuates the archaic narrative that Roses+ Chocolate => coitus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another cultural appropriation by the Catholic Church to honor the murder of a political prisoner

http://time.com/...entines-day-history/

Quote:
The feast day’s earliest associations with love and fertility may have been inherited from the pagan festival of Lupercalia, which was celebrated by the ancient Romans between Feb. 13 and Feb. 15. A matchmaking lottery would pair men and women up for the duration of the festival, and the men would slap women with the hides of goats and dogs they had sacrificed, which was thought to make the women fertile, historian Noel Lenski has told NPR. It’s thought that Pope Gelasius I established the feast of Saint Valentine in the fifth century to “Christianize” the festival.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next