Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
nutrition, gluten, wheat etc...
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to at last really take care of the GI issues I get with gluten, wheat, a lot of processed foods etc. without going paleo which is completely impractical with some training.
The main issue for me is to replace bread and pasta. Pasta has rice pasta as a replacement (not really good).
Bread...not sure...suggestions from wheat, gluten intolerant folks?
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Francois,
Try checking out this website... http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com and click on "Resources," then scroll down to "Healthnotes" and from there you can check out Gluten sensitivity and any other health condition you can think of for the most part. It is a helpful website that will give you atleast a starting point. I wish you the best. ERIK

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by spectacular preparation."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, all rice pasta is not created equal. Try Tinkyada brand, it's far superior to most all other brands. Use the quick cooking directions on the package. Their brown rice pasta in Spagetti and Linguni style are indistinguishable from gluten based brands. Bread is a harder nut to crack. How sensitive are you? Some gluten sensitive people can handle Spelt bread as it has a lower gluten content. There's a really yummy gluten free raisin bread made by a company called Glutino. Get ready for sticker shock, the stuff is expensive!

Let me know if you have any other quesitons via PM, my wife has been working with gluten intolerant endurance althletes, including one fo the top female pro's at IM distance, as a nutritionist for the past few years with some really good success.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Last edited by: karma: Jan 18, 09 20:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Capitan,
I don't believe that Quinoa has gluten. I haven't check the Quinoa pasta to be sure, nor have I tasted it. Whole grain rice can be pretty tasty.
Potatoes and sweet potatoes can replace some pasta.
Some breads are gluten free, but I haven't tasted them.

If you sign up on http://www.glutenfreemd.com you can get some links.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are more gluten free choices available now. We get the brown rice pasta from Trader Joes thats actually pretty good. The Glutino bread is good toasted, but as others have said its an expensive choice and I dont get it much. All the other gluten free breads I have tried are like bricks. There are a few Pizza places in town that offer gluten free pizza crust, Picazzos is our local one thats actually pretty good.
I use potatoes quite often as a good source of carbs, my favorite is new potatoes steamed and sauteed in garlic and olive oil-yum!

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After year's of stomach issues and trying everything (GI doctors, lactose-free, etc.), I have eliminated gluten from my diet with really amazing results. Everything from better digestion to better recovery from workouts and weight loss. Also, the results have been better over time - I feel better now, about a year later, than I did when I first eliminated gluten. I also consider myself a foodie, and if anything my cooking has actually improved since eliminating gluten. I'm Italian, so I also hate to do without pasta. But I love the quinoa pasta - they have it at whole foods and I think you can even get it at Amazon. Anyway, it has a very nice texture to it - the elbows are very good. Also, pasta sauce over polenta and over risotto works great. I cook the risotto and polenta in a rice cooker and it comes pretty good. I also cook quinoa in a rice cooker as a side dish and it is very good and healthy. For breakfast, I usually eat eggs and pineapple or some other fruit. Occassionally, I have quinoa for breakfast or gluten-free waffles or gluten-free cereal. For sports nutrition, hammer bars and First Endurance Bars are gluten-free; I try to eat these only during or before long rides. Before a shorter workout, I'll usually have a banana. I was able to train for an Ironman with no carbohydrate deficiancies - rice, quinoa, polenta, potatoes, vegatables all work fine. There is gluten-free soy sauce available also. Anyway, it is really not hard to do, and I really do feel much much better. There are some good gluten-free cookbooks, also. The one thing that is a pain, is eating out, however. If you want any specific recipes, I'll be happy to share them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really need to find stuff online though, because in El Paso, 'fancy' foods are not to be found...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Tinkyada stuff is great. It's the only pasta that I will eat. But unless you cook it with plenty of water in a big pot and then rinse with cold water, it can get a little sticky.

I think it's better to adapt your eating habits than to try to substitute everything and expect to eat the way you are accustomed to. I actually stopped craving all the starchy stuff once I became gluten free. I still eat my tortilla chips, corn tortillas, rice, risotto and some potatoes. But, there really is no need for bread in my life. If I have to have bread, the $7 frozen loaves at Whole Foods are the best I've found (especially when toasted) and also their pie crusts. Since I'm also sensitive to eggs and butter, both of these things don't always sit well with me and I find that it's better just to re-think my eating than to try to substitute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Amazon.com. The Gluten-Free Pantry brand is excellent! I made the scones for a meeting, and everyone wanted the recipe. Unfortunately, gluten-free goods are going to cost more, because the demand is lower and the ingredients are more expensive. That being said, you can but an item by bulk much cheaper. Chebe bread is made with tapioca flour, and with a little added cheese, comes out light and fluffy and not at all grainy like most breads. Bob's Red Mill has a good cornbread mix (and so does Gluten-Free Pantry), which you may be able to find at Albertsons or some other big-chain grocery store in the flour-and-baked-goods isle. I really haven't found a store-bought bread that I like, so I have been trying out different recipes using almond, soy, and walnut flours. For fast-snacks, I can't live without LaraBars (cherry pie is great!) and Stretch Island fruit leathers. Pamela's Products make some pretty good tasting cookies, but I found its cheaper to make my own cookies from a mix.

Be careful with food that has oats. Although oats are gluten free, they are typically processed in facilities with wheat, so they may have a significant amount of gluten in them. Gluten-free oats are ridiculously expensive, but some people with gluten sensitivities do not notice any symptoms when they eat Quaker oats. It depends on how sensitive you are... I haven't tried it yet.

Below are some links to gluten-free products you can get on Amazon that I've tried and really like. You can also just do a simply "gluten free" search in amazon and get a ton of results..

http://www.amazon.com/...232389644&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/...232390171&sr=8-1 (also found at Costco)
http://www.amazon.com/...232389850&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/...32390043&sr=8-46

-----
Follow me on Twitter! megankillian
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinoa is gluten free. the pasta is OK... I like rice pasta much better!

-----
Follow me on Twitter! megankillian
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [meganruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice megaruns (and everyone else as well).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a google search for "ancient harvest". They have what I think is the best gluten-free pasta. I think they sell all their stuff at Amazon as well. Be careful of things with malt or barley, also.
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [meganruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Check out Amazon.com. The Gluten-Free Pantry brand is excellent! I made the scones for a meeting, and everyone wanted the recipe. Unfortunately, gluten-free goods are going to cost more, because the demand is lower and the ingredients are more expensive. That being said, you can but an item by bulk much cheaper. Chebe bread is made with tapioca flour, and with a little added cheese, comes out light and fluffy and not at all grainy like most breads. Bob's Red Mill has a good cornbread mix (and so does Gluten-Free Pantry), which you may be able to find at Albertsons or some other big-chain grocery store in the flour-and-baked-goods isle. I really haven't found a store-bought bread that I like, so I have been trying out different recipes using almond, soy, and walnut flours. For fast-snacks, I can't live without LaraBars (cherry pie is great!) and Stretch Island fruit leathers. Pamela's Products make some pretty good tasting cookies, but I found its cheaper to make my own cookies from a mix.

Be careful with food that has oats. Although oats are gluten free, they are typically processed in facilities with wheat, so they may have a significant amount of gluten in them. Gluten-free oats are ridiculously expensive, but some people with gluten sensitivities do not notice any symptoms when they eat Quaker oats. It depends on how sensitive you are... I haven't tried it yet.

Below are some links to gluten-free products you can get on Amazon that I've tried and really like. You can also just do a simply "gluten free" search in amazon and get a ton of results..

http://www.amazon.com/...232389644&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/...232390171&sr=8-1 (also found at Costco)
http://www.amazon.com/...232389850&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/...32390043&sr=8-46
I've been living Gluten Free for about 8 years now. I have to agree with Meganruns that larabars are wonderful! They are a staple at my house for snacks and post workout recovery food (i like the Apple Pie flavor!).

As a few other posters have mentioned, the Quinoa grain pastas seem to cook up closer to "regular" pasta than the rice pasta does. The key is to make sure to boil the water before you put the pasta in. Otherwise it just releases all the starch and you end up with thickened water.

I've found that the Kinnick-Kinnick brand gluten free bread is the least dense and most tolerable. It does get a bit expensive though... :(

http://consumer.kinnikinnick.com/...n/consumer.home.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been gluten free since 1980 (my brother & I dx'd with Celiac as infants). Occasional cheating (oreo cookie, etc) will kill my training. For me, brown rice is my staple carb, cheap and easy. Mix in some eggwhites & Nuke... Not mentioned is Buckwheat which is gluten free - Wolff's Kasha is great. Rob's Red Mill - GF Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal is another of my favorites... I'm not big on bread & pasta but Tinkyada pretty much owns the market. Stay away from Cliff products (even the gels)...

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [tridon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had I paid a bit more attention when shopping at sun harvest, I would have noticed an entire aisle of gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free foods!
I guess I'm all set now.
Thanks to all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Had I paid a bit more attention when shopping at sun harvest, I would have noticed an entire aisle of gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free foods!
I guess I'm all set now.
Thanks to all.

Probably not the best aisle for picking-up laydees, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have ready access to a Sun Harvest, you are all set. Quinoa has become a staple at our house. We've really had good success with just sticking to the whole foods and non-processed items. We're back to buying whole organic milk, and even the lactose intolerant can stomach it better than the stuff we were buying before. The better quality of food (real food) that we stick with, the fewer symptoms my wife has even if she has the occasional piece of bread or regular pasta.
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [tridon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cliff gels have gluten? What is in them? Any other gels you know of to be careful of?
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why whole milk?

You like trans fats?

In Reply To:
If you have ready access to a Sun Harvest, you are all set. Quinoa has become a staple at our house. We've really had good success with just sticking to the whole foods and non-processed items. We're back to buying whole organic milk, and even the lactose intolerant can stomach it better than the stuff we were buying before. The better quality of food (real food) that we stick with, the fewer symptoms my wife has even if she has the occasional piece of bread or regular pasta.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend was just recently diagnosed as celiac/gluten intolerant. I've been amazed at the stuff that has gluten/wheat in it. I haven't been able to find her any cream of mushroom soup without wheat, which sucks, cause she makes a mean casserole called "quick and easy chicken" that has cream of mushroom soup in it...
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [rainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost forgot, one of the best blogs that she's found is called "glutenfreegirl" it has some pretty boss recipes and tips...
we've even found some gluten free beer... but you have to drink it very very cold or it tastes like sake, as it is made with rice
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, you're going to have to help me out here. At what point in the manufacturing process of whole milk are trans fats added?
Quote Reply
Re: nutrition, gluten, wheat etc... [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When the cow makes it.

edit: although I see after further research, that it is in much lower percentages than in hydrogenated oils and not associated with heart disease

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Jan 20, 09 10:54
Quote Reply

Prev Next