Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

non-full wetsuit
Quote | Reply
just wondering why more people don't wear non-full wetsuit.

wouldn't a short sleave suit be more loose on the shoulders? do you really need the extra floatation in the arms? how about the neoprene shorts or 3/4 shorts? are full legs that much better than short legs? wouldn't less neoprene keep you cooler for warmer, wet suit IMs distance events?

thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: non-full wetsuit [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The prevailing wisdom around these parts is that a full wetsuit is faster. So if it is a wetsuit legal swim, one will be faster in a full sleeve wettie. There were a few posters who have done some independent testing. Thomas Gerlach has done some testing I believe, maybe Monty too?

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The more buoyancy you have, the faster you swim.
Quote Reply
Re: non-full wetsuit [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:

You've never seen me swim. I wore a sleeveless wetsuit at AG Nats in Cleveland because the water temperature was just under legal. I was out there for almost 45 minutes and I was warm by the end of the swim. A full sleeve would have caused overheating with minimal additional benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: non-full wetsuit [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
wbattaile wrote:

You've never seen me swim. I wore a sleeveless wetsuit at AG Nats in Cleveland because the water temperature was just under legal. I was out there for almost 45 minutes and I was warm by the end of the swim. A full sleeve would have caused overheating with minimal additional benefit.

Not trying to be mean, but if you are swimming an olympic distance swim (.9 miles, I believe), the problem is not the wetsuit. Yes you overheated, but swimming that distance in 45 minutes, your stroke is probably really inefficient and needs work. That being said, yes, just under wetsuit legal temp is a tough call for some swimmers.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: non-full wetsuit [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:

Not trying to be mean, but if you are swimming an olympic distance swim (.9 miles, I believe), the problem is not the wetsuit. Yes you overheated, but swimming that distance in 45 minutes, your stroke is probably really inefficient and needs work. That being said, yes, just under wetsuit legal temp is a tough call for some swimmers.

Don't worry, no offense taken. I know the issue is with my stroke and yes, I am trying, with limited success, on improving. This was intended as an n=1 case.

It's a running joke with me that I consistently take more time to complete the swim than I do to complete the run at AG Nats.
Quote Reply
Re: non-full wetsuit [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:
wbattaile wrote:

The swim was long. Very long. In the 1900 -2000y range.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Re: non-full wetsuit [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TYR makes arm sleeves if you want the buoyancy with a sleeveless suit. That's what I have. No shoulder restriction

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Xterra 'bibjohn' sleeveless as well as the Xterra Vector Pro fullsuit.

I definitely swim faster by 20-30sec over an Oly swim in the sleeveless, mainly due to what feels to me less arm restriction on the reach, which allows me to windmill my arms a little faster. Yes, I know you have to pull it all the way up and pull the arms up enough to loosen the shoulders.

I however, could see this scenario reversing for me if I actually had the time and place to TRAIN in my fullsuit 5-6x prior to race day to acclimate to the shoulder restrictiveness. As is, I admit I literally only wear my wetsuits on race day, so it's not surprising that the 'less suit' comes closer to what I'm used to.

I actually swim just as fast with zero wetsuit, but I do find that sighting is a lot more tiring without the wetsuit buoyancy.
Quote Reply
Re: non-full wetsuit [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The #1 problem with people who say they are faster in a sleeveless vs a sleeved wetsuit is they are not swimming in the right sleeved wetsuit for them

The 2nd problem is they don't know how to put it on correctly.

This is a pretty good video on how to put on your wetsuit correctly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXsblGWpvM0&t=187s

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone comment on if / how much a full sleeve helps your catch by acting as a paddle? If it is 3mm thick you would get at least 6mm increase in forearm width. Is this significant of not? I'm talking standard suit not intentional forearm paddle suit.
Quote Reply
Re: non-full wetsuit [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have many wetsuits. Xterra Vendetta sleeveless, Profile Design bonik2 fullsuit for the cold days, plus other cheap ones I train in. I've never raced in my fullsuit and really don't plan to, I only train in it. There is no comparison with the Xterra Vendetta. A quality sleeveless will beat any cheap or basic fullsuit.

Touching on the above posts IMO beginners should go sleeveless.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triordie1994 wrote:
do you really need the extra floatation in the arms?

thoughts?

It's not the flotation in the arms, it's the greater area of your forearm with the suit on, giving you a larger "paddle" when you stroke.

That said, I'm a long time swimmer, and am much more comfortable in a sleeveless. I'm too cheap to buy one of the high-end full-sleeve suits that are actually cut/constructed properly for shoulder mobility.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply