Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

newbie position
Quote | Reply
So newbie to TT bikes and positions.

I am fairly comfortable setting myself up on my road bikes and have my "numbers" for those.

Now I have bought myself a P3 for a challenge and need to try and get set up to start doing tt's next season hopefully.

Any advise or starting numbers to be looking at. Any good beginner fit guides?

From what I've read, saddle forward and down is good. Aim to get a flat straight back as low as comfortable. Elbows below or just in front of shoulders.

I would be looking to get a proper bike fit once restrictions lift but looking for a good starter for ten to work from.

I am 6ft2 with a 32 inch leg. reasonable flexible.
Last edited by: phil485: Nov 14, 20 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: newbie position [phil485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you're here, might has well check out the bike fit tab

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: newbie position [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome hadn't found that. Looks like a whole lot of reading. looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Re: newbie position [phil485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start with emulation, then graduate into systematic problem solving and being innovative.

So, at first.......look at what you're going to do with that bike. Is it going to be a sub-hour TT beast? Or is it going to be a long course work horse for triathlon?

Once you answer that, find a pro or well regarded rider that does the distance you're into and shares your "rough" body dimensions. Then, try to emulate that. Observing your flexibility and age restrictions also to how you can scrunch up.

Move stuff, take pics or video. Move it again. And again. Then once it lines up to who you're emulating, go ride it for a while. Take notes. How's it feel? How's power? How's it handle in cross wind and down fast hills with corners?

Then tweak from there.

I'm not exactly a Lambie or a Campanaerts in size. But close enough in weight and height. I think one guy is 5' 8" and one 5' 10". I'm 5' 9" to 5' 9 1/2" and 160. I only do TT. So I emulated the modern aggressive TT and pursuit setup. Then tweak it to fit my body and lower budget bike and what helmet I was running at the time. I'm not so strong that my yaw angles are near zero like those guys, but fast enough in the flat to take that approach, and certainly way fast enough down our little hills around here.

Your choice of setup style based on event might also dictate what several helmets to buy and try then sell, or borrow, to test out. People probably do it, but I'd likely never run my personal POC Tempor on a long course setup. Shoot, I wouldn't ride my bike how I have it setup for that either! Hour or less for me.

That's been my journey.
Quote Reply
Re: newbie position [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cheers. Currently planning on 10 and 25 mile TT so hour ish type efforts.

I guess I am just looking for that starting point for emulation.

Found this last night on another thread.

Person is 6'1" with 33" inseam. He is a bikefitter.

He would start with
Pad Y = 650
Pad x =450

i am still reading through the fit guides linked in the first reply as well.
Quote Reply