Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Without these rules, damn you could build a sweet bike.

Mark

Triathletes don't care about UCI rules, build us these sweet bikes you speak of.

Triathletes may not care about the UCI, but they care what the guys who ride under UCI rules ride.
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan,

The current iteration will be available on the market. Additionally, we'll do whatever is needed to make sure our road and TT designs are acceptable to the UCI and fit within their design box. We've been to the UCI headquarters multiple times this year and have clearly defined all designs/modifications going forward.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a surprise call today from my LBS, from where I got my TK1, telling me that my "recall replacement seatpost" came in. HUH?! I went in to see what the heck they were talking about, I don't remember ordering a seatpost, and they handed me a pink bubble wrapped package. Inside was a brand new Felt TK Aero 3:1 carbon seatpost!

As for Felt's customer service, as well as the LBS, I must say WOW! I didn't even ask for it, and they sent it to me anyway.

Got all warm and fuzzy inside...
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [ed-force-one] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I just got a surprise call today from my LBS, from where I got my TK1, telling me that my "recall replacement seatpost" came in. HUH?! I went in to see what the heck they were talking about, I don't remember ordering a seatpost, and they handed me a pink bubble wrapped package. Inside was a brand new Felt TK Aero 3:1 carbon seatpost!

As for Felt's customer service, as well as the LBS, I must say WOW! I didn't even ask for it, and they sent it to me anyway.

Got all warm and fuzzy inside...

You get what you pay for sir.

Enjoy,
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size Shiv is Contador on? Small or Medium?
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [6ix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most manufacturers appears to be in contact with UCI during the development of their bikes, for example Giant and Look claiming that UCI are deeming their bikes as legal. So how is it possible that they all of a sudden turns around and say that many of the top end bikes now is at risk to be illegal to use. I would assume that Specialized and other manufacturers also have some sort of “go ahead” from UCI before launching their new bikes. These two are just an example

“Nevertheless, the UCI has given Rabobank written confirmation that its handlebar setup is legal, says Andrew Juskaitis, Global Marketing Director for Giant, of the Trinity prototype that Rabobank will race, the bike that pioneered the new style of integrated head tube/aero bar clamps.”

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/tag/giant/

“At first glance, one would think the Look 596 breaks two rules just with the top tube: It’s not straight, and my hunch is it’s pushing the limits of the 8cm “rectangle.” However, I spoke with Chris Wehan at Look Cycles, and he said that they’ve discussed this bike with the UCI and it is within their guidelines. Further, he said that all of their frame designs discussed with the UCI prior to production to ensure they’re within spec.”

http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/05/06/uci-could-deal-crushing-blow-to-bicycle-manufacturers/
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [Giron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Most manufacturers appears to be in contact with UCI during the development of their bikes, for example Giant and Look claiming that UCI are deeming their bikes as legal. So how is it possible that they all of a sudden turns around and say that many of the top end bikes now is at risk to be illegal to use. I would assume that Specialized and other manufacturers also have some sort of “go ahead” from UCI before launching their new bikes. These two are just an example

“Nevertheless, the UCI has given Rabobank written confirmation that its handlebar setup is legal, says Andrew Juskaitis, Global Marketing Director for Giant, of the Trinity prototype that Rabobank will race, the bike that pioneered the new style of integrated head tube/aero bar clamps.”

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/tag/giant/

“At first glance, one would think the Look 596 breaks two rules just with the top tube: It’s not straight, and my hunch is it’s pushing the limits of the 8cm “rectangle.” However, I spoke with Chris Wehan at Look Cycles, and he said that they’ve discussed this bike with the UCI and it is within their guidelines. Further, he said that all of their frame designs discussed with the UCI prior to production to ensure they’re within spec.”

http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/05/06/uci-could-deal-crushing-blow-to-bicycle-manufacturers/

I think the basic problem is that there is no formal process in place to get "pre-approval" of designs, thus keeping the door open for the UCI to arbitrarily "change it's mind" at any time. As I understand it, this is one of the main things that GOCEM is working towards changing, not only for the manufacturers/teams, but at the request of the commissaires themselves.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
W/regards to the shiv I just watched this video. I didn't see it mentioned before on slowtwitch (?)

http://www.testrider.com/...taxid=82&cid=212

In this video, the saddest part is at the end during approx the last minute, when Chris D'Alusio mentions that
the seatpost & handlebars were redesigned to meet the 3:1 rule - and then states that for next year - (2011?)
the fork/frame interface will no longer be legal. The general public hasn't even gotten a chance to
purchase this bike, and it seems that the bike will totally be redesigned.

I wonder to what effect these design changes will hinder the original advanced aero design that Mark Cote originally
referenced.

Dave Linenberg
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [dlinenbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the video link. fyi, there's a UCI TT coming up this Sunday (Volta ao Algarve, Contador/Shiv etc) and it'll be interesting to see what's ridden and what's not:

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/624
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If UCI hates it... it must be fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
W/regards to the shiv I just watched this video. I didn't see it mentioned before on slowtwitch (?)

In this video, the saddest part is at the end during approx the last minute, when Chris D'Alusio mentions that
the seatpost & handlebars were redesigned to meet the 3:1 rule - and then states that for next year - (2011?)
the fork/frame interface will no longer be legal.

Any idea when the video was shot (I didn't watch it, BTW)? Is it possible that it was produced in 2009, and by "next year" he was referring to 2010?
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Feb 18, 10 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If UCI hates it... it must be fast.

You mean: If the UCI hates it...it can´t be french?

Seriously, I don´t get the part where he says that the two 3:1 profiles- in this case the nose cone - will not be legal "next year". It must be 2010 he means -or the rules will be changed for 2011 (read: reinterpreted, retranslated or whatever)? I´m more confused than ever.
So probably going with a 2010 P4 and keeping my toes crossed that it will not be UCI illegal in 2011...
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

the fork/frame interface will no longer be legal.

Any idea when the video was shot (I didn't watch it, BTW)? Is it possible that it was produced in 2009, and by "next year" he was referring to 2010?

In the video, he refers to being in Calpe, Spain for an Astana training camp which took place around Jan. 14-20th, 2010. Now whether his mind was in 2009 or 2010 when he talked about next year - I can't say.

The Algarve TT is coming up on Sunday as I posted above so perhaps that will shed some light. Then again we ARE talking 'bout the UCI here - it'll probably be UV :-0)
Last edited by: rmur: Feb 18, 10 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the video last night. He was in front of Contador's 2010 bike with the big nose, etc. I think it is a safe assumption that this bike will be available as per the video/pictures posted in 2010. The 2011 bike will have nose modifcations to make it UCI compliant. That is at least how I viewed it. (As an aside - My shop ordered 3 Shiv's which is a big deal bc prior to last week, Specialized would not even take orders for the product. Or that is at least what I was told.)

I think this begs 2 questions:

Is it better to buy the super aero bike that will be banned in 2011? - assumes you are a non UCI triathlete like myself.

and

is there a possibility that Specialized will make a UCI and non-UCI version version in 2011? They have the molds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next