Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

need front hydration solution
Quote | Reply
hi all, i've ordered the vision metron TFA with snakebite stem. i plan to use it in praying mantis position. however, the issue would be what kind of hydration unit i can use in between the extension bars while still having it aero? for those of you riding in the praying mantis position, what's your hydration solution?
thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: need front hydration solution [addictr1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have semi-mantis extensions on my P3C. I kept a standard bottle cage BTA by fitting it to the stem in reverse, so the bottle pulls out towards me rather than to the front. I couldn't use it forwards facing for the reasons I guess you have already encountered.

Made a bit easier in my case by way of the Tririg Sigma stem with integrated cage bosses. I also raise the bottle a little bit to bring it more up between my arms, on some aero-shaped spacers which are red for extra speed (I nicked these from my old torpedo system).

Just an idea.

Cheers, Rich.

Quote Reply
Re: need front hydration solution [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woo.. thanks for that. my vision TFA doesn't have any boss for bottle cages, so i'm still trying to figure out my options. :) your setup looks very simple and clean. nice~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do keep in mind that unless you've tested it, and know its fast, the mantis position is probably slower than having horizontal arms
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vision makes an integrated mount for their hydration system. Depending on your stack/etc etc could be a viable option.I beleive the attachment is $20. small price to test

https://shop.visiontechusa.com/en/aerobars/triathlon-time-trial/metron-tfe-pro

Look at the pdf download 'Vision Metron TFE Extensions for Metron TFA_Service Parts''

Edit: added cost and proper images

2024: IM Hamburg
Last edited by: xcrogers: Jan 31, 21 1:34
Quote Reply
Re: need front hydration solution [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the info! I’ll have to check it out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 40k’s I put a camelback bladder inside my chest / stomach w the straw just outside my neckline.

I grab a sip and then stick back inside jersey when done. Repeat a couple times and then lay on grass to recover

Maybe there’s a better way, but with my bars close I was never comfy w a BTA bottle and have been brainwashed to believe bottle on downtube = bad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your pads are far enough part to fit a bottle between then zip ties can be you friend. You rest of the cage directly on the bridge and zip-tie it to the extensions. If you ride so narrow that the pads make this impossible but you still may be able to move the cage further forward and still zip-tie the cage to the extensions. There are some pictures here if you need some inspiration: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...s_position_P4437584/

Actually if you go to the Kona top 15 bike photos which is the very first post in the link I sent you will find the other potential solution to hydration: The Sweaty Butt Crack Bottle. Also those old velcro on top tube bags look so old school.
Quote Reply
Re: need front hydration solution [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome~ thanks you for the links and the suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same Vision Metron TFA front end and use a Torhans Aero 20 with the magnetic closure on the fill hole lid. For longer races, I have two bottles behind the seat for refills on the go. I have also looked at the Vision Metron Front Hydration System which is similar but just like the magnets on the lid of the Torhans - it greatly reduces splash ups.

BTW, I agree with imswimmer328 on the TFA in the horizontal position. You will really like the relaxed position of your hands/wrists with the TFA extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: need front hydration solution [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea i would love to use the horizontal position, unfortunately my back would disagree. had a bad car accident being a passenger that jacked up my back, so as i age, it's getting very painful to ride the drops on my road bike. so with this TFA and the 16° angle.. it's not the most aero.. but from my testing so far t's comfy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I didn't know about the accident. Kudos to you for hitting it out and being out here after a back injury. Triathletes are the toughest (and craziest) people that I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully I can help with this one as I ran this exact setup at the beginning of 2019. I ran the pads very narrow, though I don't think as narrow as possible, and just ran a BTA bottle. I used the xlab mini (I think) bracket with a basic cage and the front computer mount. I only ran this because I picked it up for cheap at a bike swap, otherwise, I would have just gone with zipties. Honestly, I'd probably just go with zipties at this point anyways but the computer mount location was pretty handy. Here are a few pictures of the setup. It's definitely a little tight in there with the forearms and a bottle, but I don't imagine I would have wanted to go any more narrow anyways.

Plenty aero. Can't even tell I have a bottle between my arms. And even though that doesn't really look it, that's at max tilt on the bars. Now in that picture, I'm using Tririg ergo armcups with the inside curve hacksawed off so I don't have to raise the bottle cage at all. I do actually still have the Xlab system sitting around not being used if you'd like it! I don't have the bars anymore but happy to answer any other questions.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: need front hydration solution [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh wow.. that's awesome! i'm still very new to this whole TT setup. I thought maybe going more narrow on the pad close up the chest making it harder to breath? that's a very clean setup you have there with the bottle in between. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone thought of mounting the bottle to the front of their extensions in mantis position (~30 degree tilt? I’ve been trying to do that with the vuka 110 extensions but the bottle always end up messing with my grip on the end of the extension
Quote Reply
Re: need front hydration solution [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wouldn't that create more resistance and decrease aero benefits since it'll be tilted?
Quote Reply