Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

need a rollerski expert...
Quote | Reply
Kind of a niche topic, but I thought I would try this forum, as few of the cross country ski forums are very active. I am looking for some experts in selecting rollerskis. I am looking for a skate-type ski, and I would really love to stay at or below $300, including bindings (I am open to used rollerskis too). I have some experience skate skiing on snow, and I am trying to improve my technique. I am by no means an expert, and probably barely intermediate in my skills. That's the reason for getting the rollerskis; so I can improve my technique throughout the non-ski season. So, I am in search of the best beginner rollerski that might afford some stability. I would not be using them on the road, nor on any technical terrain. Instead, I will use them primarily on our local high school running track (smooth, flat, and debris free).

In specific:
1. Are any models available (or attributes) that have better stability over others?

2. I am seeing skate models that have the thinner, 100 mm diameter wheels, versus others with thicker, 70 mm wheels. What are the advantages or disadvantages to both?

3. I am aware that the skis can be purchased with specific wheel "speeds". My first thought was that a "slower" wheel might be good for a beginner (i.e. to not produce too much speed), but some of the product descriptions tend to describe speed in the opposite way, and suggest that faster wheels would be better for a beginner. I understand that faster wheels will allow for easier glide and less effort, but slower wheels might afford more control. Any opinions on this?

Thank you for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: need a rollerski expert... [vsigler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rollerskiing is a great addition to regular xc-skiing.
When it comes to skate rollerskiing, the stability will not be the skis, but your boots.
Skate rollerskis have narrow wheels, so you will not have the same stability as a classic rollerski.
But since you are skating, it will not matter.

I have good experience with Swix, IDT and Swenor.
I am sure other brands are ok too.

Go with the normal #2 wheels.
Do not go for competition wheels, they are too fast and will wear out too fast.
#3 wheels are for the fit and good skiers.

Remember to sharpen the tip of your poles. That will improve your experience.

Here you have some biathlon and xc-skiing on rollerskis from Blink 2019.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y6wKEKhfxg

Happy skiing
Last edited by: Halvard: Jan 26, 21 8:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend the rollerskishop.com models. I use the most basic models that they sell, they are super durable and the speed of the #3 wheels is very close to my average speed on snow. Check them out. As Halvard said , sharp carbide tips are essential to the effective use of roller skis.
Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not an expert by any means. I've never done any Nordic-style skiing on snow, but I've done a lot of ski-skating along catwalks and flat areas on downhill skis.

I really like the Skike V7 's I bought a few years ago -- they are somewhere between a rollerblade and a ski, and feel a lot like a snow-ski on flat ground. The heel does not lift. There's no boot, just a binding that adjusts over your own shoe or boot. You do use poles with them. Seems like I paid about $300 for the Skikes, an another $75-100 for poles.

I had a foot injury at the time, so I needed a zero-impact workout that was as hard as running. I considered rollerblades, but to get a running-level exertion, I'd have to go REALLY fast on rollerblades. With the Skikes, the off-road-compatible tires slow me down enough that I have to work pretty hard to maintain about 8 mph, so I get a really good running-equivalent workout without the danger of any real injury if I fall.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Swenor Skate Elite roller skis with the rollerskishop.com rear pull brake and #2 speed wheels. Overall I like them, and feel like doing lots of no-pole skating this summer really improved my V2. I primarily use them on a smooth bike path and a couple freshly paved neighborhood streets. I would recommend knee and elbow pads when learning, and of course always wear a helmet. I also scraped up my boots a bit when trying to really get my weight over the ski and falling outward.

I did mess up my shoulder a bit when I caught my pole tip in a pavement crack, so be careful. I don't think I could do it again if I tried, just one of those bad luck things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gold standard is Marwe - one of the closest in terms of feeling like the winter skis.

They have 4 type of wheels (hardness of the rubber) that will simulate different types of snow. Makes it also a bit less dangerous if you are living in hilly terrain to manage some of the descents (there are no breaks...) Does not work for rollerski races as too slow. But those who do are also unrealistically fast (you and up not needing the poles anymore at too high velocities, which defeats the purpose if you want to simulate skiing).

I did about 3-4k km for a handful of seasons (before I took up triathlon) and also some racing on rollerskis, still having about 7-8 rollerski pairs at home between classic and skate.

This is the one I would to for: MARWE 620 XC SKATE. Or a used predecessor for plus a set if new wheels. Be aware you need poles that are 5-7.5cm longer than what you use on snow and that you need new tips. Swix/KV+ offer good solutions here. A non carbon pole is advisable, as the risk of breaking them is considerable should you fall. For that also make sure to wear a cycling helmet and sunglasses if you skate with others, ideally
pants that are a but rougher like Mountainbike ones. Shaved legs would have saved me from some nasty chafing in the past...

Roberto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not an expert, but here is an opportunity to learn from my mistakes :-).

I bought skate and classic rollerskis to train in both disciplines. Skate rollerskis were WAY too fast for me (speed reducers helped). I bought a pair of combi which were just right, I saw huge improvements in my skill because I was more confident, and could have saved myself a lot of money. Combis are fun and it is easier on your ankles than the skate skis when you need to double pole as part of a skate workout.

You did not ask this but three other things I learned as a newer rollerskier (second year and over 800km from Mar-Nov):

I would also recommend getting summer boots or wearing a pair of winter that are broken in and buy a new pair of winter boots. Summer boots are cooler and your good winter boots may also get scuffed or worse otherwise.

Also if you have never fallen on roller skis, $30 on knee/elbow pads will keep you training and working. I went through three pairs of gloves last summer and the worst I had was some skin off my thumbs.

Finally, get a the right kind of sharpener (standard file is softer than the ski tip), sharpen every time, keep in your waterbelt.

Have fun be and safe.
Last edited by: frogskocinq: Jan 26, 21 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but Marwe, as someone has mentioned are the best. Sharp poles, that are longer, are a must.

The folks at Boulder Nordic Sports are great, and can answer any and all of your questions.

https://www.bouldernordic.com/

db
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you have Johannes Klæbo explaining the most important technique in skating, V2 (dobbeldans).
Just use cc and you will get text in English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlFkOEr7bw0

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marwes are the standard for best realistic feel. If you just want to go fast get Swenors.
Quote Reply
Re: need a rollerski expert... [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marwes are the standard. You have to buy them from Finn Sisu in Minnesota. My daughters have raced nordic for years in high school and now college in the Northeast and nearly everyone is on them. Unfortunately they’re not cheap though.
Quote Reply
Re: need a rollerski expert... [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
Marwes are the standard. You have to buy them from Finn Sisu in Minnesota. My daughters have raced nordic for years in high school and now college in the Northeast and nearly everyone is on them. Unfortunately they’re not cheap though.

I live in Norway now and Marwe is not the standard here.
And Norwegians know a little about xc-skiing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little late but my 2 cents

I haven't used Marwe but they have the reputation around here as being the top of the line. I've used Fischer and One Way and both are quite the improvement from the first rollerskis I had back in 1991. Right now I have a pair of Rundlesport roller skis that I really like.

Do yourself a favour and get a pair of poles (as someone else said, slightly longer and the skis are taller) with roller ski specific tips. I used to use regular poles and the carbide tip would eventually pull out of the pole. Roller tips are where it's at.
Quote Reply
Re: need a rollerski expert... [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
endosch2 wrote:

I think the reason why we see the herd mentality here toward Marwe is that I believe they were the first with a composite ski like shaft that reduces road vibration (versus aluminum) and this reduces weight and creates some flex like a ski. I know others now offer this. In addition when you are doing team summer workouts and intra-squad races it helps having everyone on the same equipment.

As far as pole choice most poles with screw off ferrules have a road version which is usually harder steel. You do have to keep them sharp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the quick information and advice. I have a lot of factors to consider, and your information helps.
Quote Reply
Re: need a rollerski expert... [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
Halvard wrote:
endosch2 wrote:

I think the reason why we see the herd mentality here toward Marwe is that I believe they were the first with a composite ski like shaft that reduces road vibration (versus aluminum) and this reduces weight and creates some flex like a ski. I know others now offer this. In addition when you are doing team summer workouts and intra-squad races it helps having everyone on the same equipment.

As far as pole choice most poles with screw off ferrules have a road version which is usually harder steel. You do have to keep them sharp.

Swenor had composite materials in some of their models in the 80s :-) I had a pair of those.

I am not saying Marwe is not a good brand. I am sure their rollerskis are great.
Just that what is the gold standard in one part of the world, is not always the truth somewhere else.
Norwegians are biased also. Swix, Swenor and IDT are the big brands here.

It is always good to sharpen your tips, even when you used the special tips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to do a little thread hijack here. I'm coming back from surgery to address tennis elbow. Anyone have any experience with shock absorbing ferrules like these: https://www.bouldernordic.com/...-roller-ferrule.html ? I do more rollerskiing than actual skiing on snow and my doctor has said vibration/shock contributes to flair ups in tennis elbow. I thought these might be a way to mitigate some of that while rollerskiing.
Quote Reply
Re: need a rollerski expert... [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
Going to do a little thread hijack here. I'm coming back from surgery to address tennis elbow. Anyone have any experience with shock absorbing ferrules like these: https://www.bouldernordic.com/...-roller-ferrule.html ? I do more rollerskiing than actual skiing on snow and my doctor has said vibration/shock contributes to flair ups in tennis elbow. I thought these might be a way to mitigate some of that while rollerskiing.

The stiffer poles, the more your elbow will feel the impact.
I have not tried those ferrules.
Another alternative is to buy cheap poles with more flexibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use aluminum poles that aren't super stiff, but they're not flexy either. That might be worth a shot too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The skis from roller ski shop are affordable and work well for your needs, the medium speed wheels would be nice in the larger diameter. Marwe are a very nice ski but will cost more.

I don't think your plan of using a running track will work well, the poles on the track will not be welcome by the track owner and the turns will get old quickly. a bike path or quiet road is what you need. If you need speed control, look at the V2 brand skis, they have optional brakes and speed reducers which work well
Quote Reply
Re: need a rollerski expert... [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
The skis from roller ski shop are affordable and work well for your needs, the medium speed wheels would be nice in the larger diameter. Marwe are a very nice ski but will cost more.

I don't think your plan of using a running track will work well, the poles on the track will not be welcome by the track owner and the turns will get old quickly. a bike path or quiet road is what you need. If you need speed control, look at the V2 brand skis, they have optional brakes and speed reducers which work well

Nice quiet parking lot, multi level is a bonus if you can find one. First thing in the morning on Sundays are usually the perfect time to use them.
The thing I could never get used to was the weight of them. It always felt really strange as my hockey skates were so much lighter so I had trouble ensuring my toes were always lifted. So the other thing I might recommend to start is elbow and knee pads. :)
Quote Reply