Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

n=1 observation - VO2max water running seems to help my hard swimming breathing
Quote | Reply
My n=1 observation - have been doing weekly water runs since my ankle arthritis is flaring up.

I typically do short intervals as hard as possible with water running, anywhere from 1-2 mins, to longer ones at 3-5 mins. HR and breathing go sky high with the high leg turnover and glute drive, higher than it does for my swim intervals (because I'm a MOP triathlon swimmer and I run/bike a lot better than I swim)

I can say for sure, in that for my n=1 experience, the breathing agony I get while water running directly translates over and improves my comfort breathing while doing hard swim intervals. In contrast, my out-of-water treadmill/Zwift hard interval breathing does NOT seem to translate at all to improved swim breathing comfort.

My hypothesis for now is that the hard water running is letting me adapt my breathing muscles to the large push forces of the water on the ribcage that make you work harder to inhale in the water compared to out of the water. The water running eliminates the swimming problems of getting more O2 (stroke rate matched to breathing as well as technique limiters in swimming), and thus you can really start to acclimate breathing at very hard efforts while in water. I def felt fatigue in those inhalation muscles the first few times of hard water running!

Again this could be totally wrong, but just thought I'd throw this out there for some food for thought in case anybody else is crazy enough to try it.
Quote Reply
Re: n=1 observation - VO2max water running seems to help my hard swimming breathing [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting! I'm currently recovering from Achilles surgery and not running for a while so maybe I'll give it a try. I've definitely found pool running to be super beneficial for maintaining running fitness in the past but never thought about it translating to swim. Worth a try!
Quote Reply
Re: n=1 observation - VO2max water running seems to help my hard swimming breathing [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My hypothesis for now is that the hard water running is letting me adapt my breathing muscles to the large push forces of the water on the ribcage that make you work harder to inhale in the water compared to out of the water.

I do not doubt your improved comfort breathing for hard swim intervals, and that's a cool/weird observation.

But, your definition of large may be different from mine--I do not think it's pressure from the water.

Pressure = density*gravity*depth = 1000 kg/m3*9.8 m/s2*0.2 m=1.9 kPa = 0.02 atmospheres. And that's what a balloon feels, not lungs with muscle, ribs, and connective tissue.
Rule of thumb: 10 m water = 1 atmosphere pressure. So, it's not 0 effect, but it's certainly not like you're being squeezed much.

Could be just that you're working your diaphragm hard, and that's improving your breathing. Or, improved comfort being in the water? -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear about this. I'll try it as I would like breathing to be easier while swimming.

Just once a week does it for you? Would you do it more frequently?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply