Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

muscle function question
Quote | Reply
Maybe you guys can help with a problem. I'm a 4th year triathlete, first IM last year (Wisconsin). I have historically had tremendous problems with cramping, usually on longer training days like centuries, and longer races (1/2 IM and up). I carry quite a bit of weight on my frame for a triathlete, 5'10" and 182 lbs, but bodyfat is only around 10%. I survived IMW last year but spent a good deal of time flat on my back racked with agonizing cramps. I am in fairly decent shape, with a 4:50 goal in the 1/2 this year, but would love to have a season without cramping problems. Two admissions: I have never stretched the way I know I need to this year, and I am a fairly heavy user of table salt. Is there any connection between salt usage on a day-to-day basis and sodium needs during races on hot days? Also, is there any evidence that higher-BMI triathletes are more susceptible to cramping? Any good sports-medicine research on this topic? Even when I don't cramp during a hard workout, my leg muscles twitch so much afterwards they look like they're trying to jump out of my skin. BTW I tried it all last year-different sports drinks, magnesium supplements, salt tabs (although I don't know if I took enough). Thanks in advance for your help y'all.
Quote Reply
Re: muscle function question [mhosk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[disclaimer - I am not a doctor, nutritionist, coach, or person who's generally accepted as knowing this type of shit]

Having gotten that out of the way, my understanding is that the more salt you consume on a regular basis, the more you will sweat out - therefore the greater your replenishment needs will be. After a normal ride or run are your clothes caked with white residue? That's salt. If you can reduce the amount of salt you take in on a regular daily basis, your sodium replenishment needs ought to be reduced over time.

As far as stretching goes, which muscles cramp up on you? Hard to recommend stretches without knowing the problem area(s)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: muscle function question [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I do have a lot of salt residue on my workout clothes. The problem cramping areas have always been quads and hams, sometimes on the bike but often on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: muscle function question [mhosk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps it's less of a nutrition issue and more of a bicycle fit issue. Have you had a professional fitting? Does it feel good? Also, are you putting in the miles like you should (bike and run)? I know a lot of people who attribute their cramping to nutrition but it's more likely cuased by only riding 50 miles per week then expecting to feel great in a 1/2 IM. (I'm not implying this is you, but just asking if your mileage is up-to-snuff).

jason
Quote Reply