in a spot of bother
injection of pace
turning himself inside out
dancing on the pedals
doing his/her own race
in the box

please add
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stick to your plan
Gutted

‘Shot out of a cannon’ -Scott vs Allen
‘You’re doing great’ -spectators
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He wanted it more
He’s in top form

These might be less a cliche and more a euphemism for nailing your doping regime.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m tranquil/tranquilo

Will these reflect the sports in general or the idiosyncrasies and regional flair of the announcers we hear for hours on end, day after day during grand tours?

Pain cave
Hurt locker
Lit the blue touch paper
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"almost there"
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
"almost there"

+1 since you hear it all the time, like 1km into your run. I want to yell it at people at the swim start some time "Great job! You're almost there!" and see how many would laugh.
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good replies here. Kudos everybody.
Not sure how I forgot "He wanted it more", or "It's down to who wants it more". Love those.

Dying a thousands deaths
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He can hear you!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
"almost there"

I always like to yell to random people, "You look like shit, and you're no where near the finish!" Always good for a laugh out of them.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) you can't win it in the swim but you can sure lose it

2) every year during the Boston marathon some douche tries to run with the Kenyans and the commentator always says something about how a piano is about to be dropped on his back after a mile

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: trailerhouse: Jun 16, 19 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using this win as a platform for...

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YOU are an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'It's Massive'
(Unless talking about a 6ft 7" guy who's 250+ lbs halfway around the marathon, of course. Then it's valid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aggressive position
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He burned all his matches
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Looking good”

...which apparently means “I’ve pre-dialed 9-1, and have my thumb hovering over the 1 button.”

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like he pulled a Sanders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Epic
School me
Last edited by: Nolabuckeye: Jun 16, 19 14:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grueling.

Every single Kona broadcast.
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Nolabuckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crushed it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Launches an attack" :

Meaning: Guy pedals hard two or three times, looks back, immediately gives up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
______ is the fourth discipline of triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Pulling the trigger"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
examples:

in a spot of bother
injection of pace
turning himself inside out
dancing on the pedals
doing his/her own race
in the box

please add
Your saddle is too low
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
out the back
riders are all over the mountain
it's all happening

And if you are lucky enough to get the Sean Kelley Eurosport coverage:
"Yes, well, this is a reaaaaaaal killah!"
Quote Reply

Prev Next